What an utter Mess !!

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

What an utter Mess !!

Postby Jetranger » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:39 pm

So you have an Aircraft you'd like to repaint sections on, or maybe add some Shading in the cockpit or, repaint the entire cockpit.

how do you find what areas to paint tho ????

where exactly is that Flight Yoke stand, or windows pane or seat ????

1st thing ya gotta do is FIND the File, then SAVE - SAVE - SAVE that file somewhere else, I create another Folder in that Airplane Folder itself and call it

A SPARE Folder ,,,,, that way Windows reads it in alphetibcal order and keeps that A SPARE FOLDER at the Top of all the other Folders in the Aircraft section.

Then I go back to the FILE I want to ,,, PAINT & Screw up, and believe me, it will get messed up , and that's ok, because I SAVED a Backup File !!!!

So now I start adding all kinds of different colors to find where I need to paint

Have to use DIFFERENT COLORS so you can PIN POINT exactly the area you want to add color to.

if you don't and paint everything the same, you'll be confused when you load up the aircraft and all parts are painted RED or blue or yellow ,,,

So paint different sections different colors, then when you load up the Aircraft , you can easily identify where exectly your painting on the file.

Its somewhat time consuming !!!

and ALWAYS make sure you SAVE the Newly re-painted file into the Exact Same format that it was Before you jacked it all up !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Below are a few examples of some of my INTERIOR repaints for passenger aircraft, these are the Raw re-painted files .

1 is a Search & Find File , as you'll notice.

The little brightly colored file is a Neon Color file I use with a Light Map file for Neon Lighting inside a particular Hanger I have :D

Anyway, have a Gander at the Quirky World I live in re-painting files , very time consuming and frustrating at times :oops: :roll:

Jetranger

Jetranger
Major
Major

Re: What an utter Mess !!

Postby Jetranger » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:27 pm

You are NOW inside a McDonalds Aircraft Cockpit 727 :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pretty huh ????

only thing missing is Ronald McDonald himself :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope this is how I locate and find the areas to paint that need shading or Texturing that FS Repaint Won't help me with much.

so, I have to resort to this style of Hunt locate & Find and color :shifty: :shifty:

slow process & time consuming but it works !

then once I know for sure that's the area I want textures on , its time to start painting.

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby blu52 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi, speaking of messes. Boy, do I have one.

For a long time, I've been pretty good at using graphical editors. The physical painting part I seem to have a talent for. However, I've just discovered a problem I didn't know about when trying to do aircraft (FSX) repaints. I do the same things that worked in FS2000, just straight forward filling with flood, line drawing, and cut and paste, then save in the same format as the original template.

Several times now, I've attempted to repaint a .bmp bit map file with Paint Shop Pro 7. After I get lots of hours getting my work just right and save it the the same format as I opened it from a "repaint" kit created by a well known Simviation poster only to discover that the model will not load the modified "new".bmp file.

I'm fairly certain that there is some "layering" or process that I'm not following when I paint or save the file but I have no way to discover what the problem is without asking someone with experience. My files look very good, I spend lots of time doing them and it's very discouraging not to be able to fly the finished repaint once I've got it right. Can you or someone give me a shove in the right direction?

The latest fiasco I've made is the attempted repaint of the DeHavilland DH114-2D Heron using the provided 'repaint' template .bmp file. I had hoped to recreate the "SHELL" 1960 era Heron done a little better, or at least sharper, than the one that exists and that isn't compatible with the FSX adapted version made with FSDS version 2.24 by Dee Waldron.

I opened it with Paint Shop Pro 7, did the work, but no joy, just a black model in the end. However if I substitute the original .bmp it load just fine, so it's not a config. file error. I'm sure of that. All the code and file names, and file types appear to be in order, so I guess it's something I'm NOT doing during the painting process, IE what layer I'm using, or some other control or "style" I'm not using. If you have any pointers you can pass on or a name you can turn me on to, I'd really love that. Whatever mistake I'm making I seem to be making it consistently.

Sincerely
Blu52
Messed Up in Vegas. Hope I've described my problem clearly.
blu52
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:11 am

blu52 wrote:I opened it with Paint Shop Pro 7, did the work, but no joy, just a black model in the end. However if I substitute the original .bmp it load just fine, so it's not a config. file error. I'm sure of that. All the code and file names, and file types appear to be in order, so I guess it's something I'm NOT doing during the painting process, IE what layer I'm using, or some other control or "style" I'm not using. If you have any pointers you can pass on or a name you can turn me on to, I'd really love that. Whatever mistake I'm making I seem to be making it consistently.

Sincerely
Blu52
Messed Up in Vegas. Hope I've described my problem clearly.

I tried painting the Heron & it works fine for me.

You don't mention saving your edited texture in an Extended BMP format. It can be converted with DXTBmp here --> http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm
The original format is Extended 32 bit 888-8

Note the windows aren't transparent. I think this could be fixed by creating a special Alpha Channel. I didn't have time to try it.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Aircraft Repainting