Opinions Wanted Please ???

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Opinions Wanted Please ???

Postby Jetranger » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:51 am

I have the Lockheed Electra L-188 Propliner from FS KBT TEAM

Its a really Great FREEWARE aircraft loaded from front to back, nicely detailed, complete with Virtual Cockpit and passenger Cabin, well rendered and detailed.

I decided to Pizzaz things up with some "Interior Decoration" slightly more suitable to the 1960's & 1970's era.

So, I started repainting the Insides of them , this is 1 of the 1st ones to be cranked out of the Paint Shop.

I'd like to know your opinions ??

I was tired of seeing the kinda all blue & dull gray boring colors that were the default colors, I'm trying to stay in line with what the colors and Fabrics that would of been used around that era.

What I used to re-paint the interiors were the real Actual Fabric's I pulled off the internet from Retro-Fabric sites, then I copied the photos and resized them down and rescaled them and used Paint.Net to layer over what was already there.

Turned out fairly decent for what I had to work with.

You'll see BEFORE & AFTER PHOTOS of the interior.

I also turned down the Night lighting a tad bit which is some screen shots may seem a bit dark.

The Blueish Grey is the Before any painting or layering took place.

The AFTER photos are what I repainted, using photos of real fabric colors.

Notice the real Wood grain along the sides too, actual photo of real wood I found, kinda makes it stand out and little more classy than that , I refer to it as that Doctors office feeling !

Judge for yourself, whats your Opinion ????

I've done quite a few other Aircraft interiors too, just haven't got around to showing them yet, Captain Sims 707's 727's and Just Flights Constellations too.

Jetranger

Jetranger
Major
Major

Re: Opinions Wanted Please ???

Postby pete » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:31 am

Like it. Nice to see an interior repaint. I'm one of these people that rarely looks at the outside (real or simulated aircraft) - always in the cockpit/VC looking out, and if there is an interior passenger cabin in the FS plane, all the better ....

Nice textures O0
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Jetranger » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:25 pm

Soon as I get a few more of Captain Sims 707's and 727's done I'll show them and a few of Just Flights Constellations done,, I may make short Video to show the textures better.

Trying really really hard to stay with colors and fabrics that would fit the aircrafts color scheme and somewhere around the 60's &70's era.

I'm limited on what I can do and how far I can go, because of the File usually, some files are difficult to work with. Before I even start, I'll save like 8 to 10 copys of that 1 file in a separate folder in case I mess up and have to start over.

I can also put stewardess in some of these planes depending on what i'm working with.

I've got more to do,, in time.

Jetranger

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby BLAZE » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:56 am

Dang Jet, Nice job brother. I like! Are you going to upload these textures? :) I'm like Pete, its nice to see cockpit and cabin repaints.
I spend 99% of my time in climat control. :D The only reason I ever go to outside view really is to take pictures. then its back
inside. To cold out there! :lol:
BLAZE
Captain
Captain

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:40 am

Very Impressive. Nicely done interior. Something you said in your second post got me thinking...

"I can also put stewardess in some of these planes depending on what i'm working with."

How about some passengers to go along with the stewardesses , not a full house perhaps but say maybe half full? That would give a little "realism" sort of reason for having the F/A's onboard. Just a thought. I don't fly commercial flt sim much but do any freeware or payware commercial aircraft come with pax?

Hawkeye

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Dieselpunk » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:09 pm

Very nice paint job,

I really like the idea of interior repaints, and this is one of the best I have seen.

I don't think it is more realistic, but it looks a lot more lived in, than the sterile original.
My only complaint ist that the tapestries, with the wave pattern, look like they are from the 70s, and don't really fit in with the rest of the patterns, which have more of a 50s or 60s look.

The idea with a stewardess and/or passengers is great, if they have the same quality, as the rest of the interior.

Greetings from Germany

Dieselpunk
Dieselpunk
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Jetranger » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:51 am

11/7/2013

well 1st, Thanks for all the comments ! :D

it takes a lotta work to re-paint these, lotta trial & error, and experimenting , till the wee hours of the morning usually, I see the sun come up most of the time, as I'm painting !

like right now, I've been up since 3pm yesterday.

reason ? lotta research and living on google web site chasing down photos of textures, then I have to Convert them sometimes into smaller files, so I can work with them sometimes.

then I have to make copies of all the Aircraft Interior files and send them over to my other main computer, that I paint on, for I have 3 computers, 1 just for flight simming only,,, the other for general BS, like web surfing and email, and the other just for painting.

I also spend loads of time looking at vintage photos and you tube video's of Vintage Aircraft to get ideas.

problem is NOT all the Textures I'd like to see & have for an aircraft are available or what i'd really want & like, so, I have to settle for what I can find, then its play mix & match interior decorator.

it actually harder painting interiors I think then the outside of the aircraft, especially when ya have to guess and try to figure out where everything is hidden at in those files, its no easy maneuver either,,, the way they design & fabricate those files, it becomes a total mind warp after a while.

some of these I can do in a few hours, others takes me several weeks , depending on the Aircraft and how the File is designed & built.

its all guess work really, that WHY I always make a ton of "BACK UP" files of the same file, just in case I goof up ! and it does happen.

Winter is coming on, so I'll have all kinds of time to crank out some paints by 2014 sometime.

As far as Passengers go,,, that is really really difficult guys, and heres why :

unless there is a passenger type model already built into the aircraft, already sitting or standing, then that would be easy to do.

but since most don't, because its hard to render people and get it right, heres what would happen IF I were to try to add passengers to any aircraft - -

Imagine , laying a Blanket over a seat,,, its going to fold with ever curve of the seat and form to every curve of that seat, meaning, the passenger is going to end up looking like a WET Newspaper draped over the seat totally flat and goofy looking, probably you won't be Impressed with the end results !!

As far as adding a Stewardess or pilot,,,, I can only do that, "IF" I can find an appropriate spot inside the Aircraft that's flat and without any other objects protruding out to give them a funny shape,,,

for example up against a door or cabin wall will work,, usually, I put a stewardess in one of the Cockpits of my VC-10's and one in the cockoit of my Lockheed L-1049's Constellations that came out all right, but their up against a door or wall like their standing there.

If I actually knew how to design Aircraft models using GMax or something, I'd try to actually incorporate some "Realistic" passengers in the cabin,,, by using actual Toys , like GI Joe or Barbie dolls for the face and bodies.

I'd take a HD Camera, and do a Pan all the way around them, front, back, sides and then take those photos and mold them around to the models shape that was built, they could be sitting , standing, legs crossed arms in the air etc.

all done with photos laid on top of the object that being an actual rendention of a body,, like the yoke in an Aircraft or a Knob or Aircraft Wheel.

just its time consuming i'd imagine, that's why designers don't mess with it.

one day I may learn GMax and all those other modeler programs , but that too is mind warping to learn all that and do it right.

I like to Paint, but sometimes its frustrating it has to be so hard to paint what you want, that should be so simple, because of the way the file is laid out, by the developer.

One thing I can't stand is too much Grey used or too much of close to the same colors, too many greys and green stuff for the cockpits like in the 2002 / 2004 models.

I feel like I'm at some Golf Course sometimes.

I like a nice warm welcome feeling to an aircraft interior, unless its a Military Aircraft, run of the mill passenger Aircraft should be nice and Welcoming and a Comfortable warm feeling, NOT like your in some county Morgue or Hospital Surgery room.

Current Projects I'm working on at the moment are:

Captain Sims Boeing 707's

Captain Sims Boeing 727's

Captain Sims Boeing 737's models.

Just flights L-1049's, what there is of the passenger interior to mess with .

Just Flights DC-3's and DC-6's

few of Carenado's interiors

DC-2's interiors and

Freeware so many - the Lockheed L-188 Propliners

some others , but can't recall what they are right at the moment.

But heres a re-paint on an outside of an Aircraft I did last Spring,, nothing to special,, really just added some Gizmo's and du-dads.

The Martin 404 Vintage twin Engine Propliner, with a Las Vegas / Reno Theme added to it.

Jetranger
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:07 am

Heres the Martin 404 I added some logo's to.

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby BLAZE » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:49 pm

Real nice job on the M-404 there Jet. You got good taste brother.

Thanks for the story you wrote on the adventures of repainting. :D It's nice to hear someone talking about the long nights spent
repainting. I'm not the only one eah?

I like what you said about those cockpits that are all kinds'a to gray or green or what ever the case may be. It's like the walls all
blend together, ya can't tell where the wall ends and the floor begins. Yuck! It's a shame cause the aircraft are real nice in all other
aspects.

I've started trying to put some textures in two of these aircraft. I have to start combing the internet like you for some good textures.

I'll tell you what! There is now better way to burn LOTS of time REAL fast then repainting.
BLAZE
Captain
Captain

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:00 pm

Fantastic job, Jetranger. Can I call on you when I win the lottery???

It sould be any day now. :lol:
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:08 pm

Ya, Ya, Ya, you call me when you win that Multi-Million Dollar lottery ! :lol:

Suppose you want my Number too ???

Which number do you want Geoooorge ?????

Heres my Number : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1lsyLAmtC4

:D :D :clap: :dance: :naughty: :naughty: :pray: :pray:

<<r <<v <<s
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Jetranger wrote:Ya, Ya, Ya, you call me when you win that Multi-Million Dollar lottery ! :lol:

Suppose you want my Number too ???

Not needed. The servants can take care of that. :D
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Aircraft Repainting