A personal request

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

A personal request

Postby Blaquehardt » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:37 am

For years I did painting and 3D work for the NASCAR 2003 Racing (Blaquehardts Paint Shoppe-Google it), and I am now into flying and I have read a lot of the posts about painting and I'll be darned if I can make heads or tails of it. I have Windows 7, Paint Shop Pro, but I don't have the "converter" to take the FSX file and use it in Paint Shop. Also I'm not sure about which files are able to paint or (heck I don't know how to put it). :?

Anyway can someone make it in simple language or toss me a package I can use to paint FSX (not the 2004) but current (BTW I can't afford FSX Acelleration yet, but I'll get it).

I want to paint a Mustang or a Lightning for myself for when we get together and fly <<v
Blaquehardt
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: A personal request

Postby Hagar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 am

The first thing you need is a texture converter named DXTBmp. Get the current version here --> http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Blaquehardt » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:11 am

I have the download. Thanx so much because it gives me a starting point. Now can someone give me an idea which .dds texture might be the best to work with or how do I get it to where I can add my layers???
Blaquehardt
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:45 am

The texture mapping will vary on all aircraft. The only way to find out which one you need to edit is by trial & error. Open each texture in DXTBmp until you find the main textures. These will usually have a _t or _T suffix. For example, the main texture for the FSX default C172 is named C172_T.dds.

You can configure textures to open in PSP direct from DXTBmp by clicking on the icon on the right-hand side. It's pointed at MS Paint by default.

Once DXTBmp is configured to use your chosen graphics editor send the texture to it by double-clicking on the image. Once you've finished editing it in PSP click Save & return to DXTBmp.

Click Image > Reload after Edit. Then save it in the original format. File > Save As > DDS Texture (or Extended BMP).

Please note. This is only a rough guide. I'm not a repainter.

Always take a backup copy of files before editing them. I would recommend creating a new variation of the aircraft & work on that, leaving the original variations As Is. This is easily done if you understand the principle of adding repainted textures as new variarions.

Also Save a copy of the edited texture in the default format of your graphics editor (.psp in the case of Paint Shop Pro). This will preserve features like layers in case you wish to work on it again.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Brian Z » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Your main texture, the one you mostly work on, will look very much like a model kit when you open it. There will be a lot of bits and pieces arranged to fit inside the screen, and the big parts at least you'll recognize as the fuselage, wings, etc.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft Repainting