Wait... you can do that?!?!

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Wait... you can do that?!?!

Postby Brian Z » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:31 pm

I was checking out a really nice HD repaint for the default King Air, and noticed that the main texture is 4096x4096... 4x the size of the original. 16x, actually, each side multiplied by 4. How do you do this? It's still a DXT5 texture, it's just much bigger than the original, and therefor turns out much sharper.
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Wait... you can do that?!?!

Postby Brian Z » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:49 pm

I found out the answer to my question by doing some experimenting. Once you have the texture image in your editor, you can re-size it, and it will still apply properly. I had thought of this a while back, but always assumed the oversized texture wouldn't fit properly.

I re-sized the King Air's main texture to 2048x2048, painted it blue, and added nose art to try it out. It worked, but I forgot to float the prop spinners to my "details" layer, so they got painted over. Now when I try to fix it, Dxtbmp isn't overwriting the file. Anyone know why this would happen? Here's what it looks like, can't get rid of the blue on the spinners. The girl's hiding behind the engine because she isn't wearing anything. XD
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Wait... you can do that?!?!

Postby stephan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:27 pm

I hate to make a comment to someones problem if I haven't a sure fire solution,as when I see someone has commented on my questions,I am of high expectations that a solution has been found for me.And the disappointment can suck.All I can say in response to your situation since I dont know if you're flying FS9 or FSX is,have you checked the attributes to that file in question...the one you wish to overwrite? If it has been set by the system to read only,that MAY have something to do with it.A computer gremlin sometimes changes the attributes to some of my files and I run into problems like this.It is a LONGSHOT that this may be your problem,but I hope this does eliminate the problem.Other than that,I personally haven't an answer.But I will continue to think about it. It almost surely has to be a problem with the filing system in your computer and not DTXBmp or the sim it's self.
stephan

Return to Aircraft Repainting