Different Approach

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Different Approach

Postby FoMoCo63 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Sometimes when I need a aircraft first off I head out here to Simviation. 9 times out of 10 no need to go anywhere else to find the aircraft.

It just so happened that this particular aircraft was not on the list of aircraft that people would do. I find myself thanking Paul Clawson once again for the models that this person has generated. I did travel hard on the web this time to seach for a Howard DGA 15P and it seemed that no matter where I went this was the only model to be had. So thanks again Paul Clawson.

When viewed for the 1st time I noticed it was a great model, however it seemed to be lacking alittle in the finer details of the aircraft, so it seemed I had alittle work cut out to see if I could improve this model alittle bit more.

With looking at actual photos, to blue prints of the aircraft I have actually started a ground up restoration of the model. This did a couple of things for me from the stand point of seeing how the aircraft was built with the varying compositions, to now being able to lay the paint on in the last stage and allow the model to reflect the different composists that lay beneath the paint.

This to me I believe will actually give me the detail I will be looking for. The wood still needs to covered with the white canvas and the hardner applied and still reflect the wood and tubular framing that will lay underneath when the paint goes on with a opacity setting.

I have a few pics of the aircraft I started with to a few of the various steps I have created already along the way. We all have our ways of doing things thats 4sure. I have found this was a good way for me to get what I was looking for as well as have some fun along the way.

Showing yet another techique that could be used to aid in the desired results of aircraft we paint.
FoMoCo63
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Different Approach

Postby Brian Z » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:30 pm

WOW... I wouldn't know where to start!
Brian Z
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby FoMoCo63 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:04 am

It's really pretty simple if you use a Paint Editor like say GIMP, or Microsoft.Net Paint I think is the name, and which by the way are free downloads on the web. I have seen and installed the latest GIMP offered and compared to Adobe that I use, and was pretty impressed with the more offered in the way of Filters and Tools moreover the older version I had of GIMP. With the ability to do layers makes for a really nice program for re-painting aircraft.

Anyway, instead of of using a brush next time to lay down a 48" wide color next time, Import/Place a .bmp of your favorite sheet of plywood 48"x96", (which will create a new layer for you automatically in your Paint Editor) take your eraser and cut to size so to speak over your piece you were going to paint anyway. If you are familiar with the Lasso tool it works faster than the eraser.

When you want to see something over the top of the plywood, create a new layer again or Import/Place a new .bmp, and add, and try not to do different items on the same layer. If you create a layer and name it Wood keep only wood items on that layer, put different paint colors on their own separate layer as well and so on. Much easier to edit or apply the usage of Filters if need be this way, and there is always editing when getting it just the right with any re-paint. Name each Layer with a name you will remember and know what it is when you see it.

Now instead of paint when viewed in your simulatior it will show as wood. The possibilties are endless, we are only limited to our imagination. Have fun, that is the nature of the beast here.
FoMoCo63
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby FoMoCo63 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:34 am

A side note to the above post, it took like 15 Import/Place wood.bmp's to do what was done to the photos in the 1st post. Instead of having 15 separate layers of wood I did the big main wing and merged all those wood Layers together and named Wing Wood, and the rear wing was merged as well and named Tail Wing Wood, and the tail rudder was merged and named Rudder Wood.

Now I ended up with just 3 Layers of wood, instead of the original start of 15 Layers of the wood needed to do what was done. Like I had mentioned each time a .bmp file or .jpg and etc. are Imported/ Place into the Paint Editor an automatic New Layer is created. So you have to know when you can Merge Layers and when it is not in your best intrest to do so. You will know when the time comes to hold them, or fold them.
FoMoCo63
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft Repainting