Alpha Channel

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Alpha Channel

Postby MattNW » Sun May 18, 2003 2:56 pm

Could someone please explain about the Alpha Channel. I keep trying to make a reflective texture but all I end up with is a see through. I've looked at the textures of models that have the same effect I'm trying to create and even when I try to reproduce the effect I still end up with a partially transparent part.

I'm aware of the fact that if I paint something pure black it will be transparent. What I'm getting is a partially transparent part even when it's painted red. You can see the ground or any other aircraft parts through it.
In Memory of John Consterdine (FS Tipster)1962-2003
MattNW
Major
Major

Re: Alpha Channel

Postby Hagar » Sun May 18, 2003 3:15 pm

I'm assuming this is for FS2002. You might find this tute useful. http://www.gjsmith.com/Tutorial/Tutorial.htm
Step 6 covers the Alpha Channel & reflective effects.
Last edited by Hagar on Sun May 18, 2003 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sun May 18, 2003 7:34 pm

Are you repainting or texturing a model you're building?

It seems that the part's material isn't set up for reflective textures.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MattNW » Sun May 18, 2003 9:51 pm

Are you repainting or texturing a model you're building?

It seems that the part's material isn't set up for reflective textures.

Just repainting. I was trying to add reflective textures to the Zodiac XL's default paintjob. I used DXTBmp to open the texture and created an Alpha Channel in an intermediate shade of grey and imported that with DXTBmp but when I went to see my work the plane was a ghost image although it still showed the Red and White the scenery could be seen through the plane. I had the same thing happen a while back when trying to edit the tail numbers on the Baron but that was a part of the image I hadn't even touched. I edited the fuselage and it turned out perfect but the engine cowling was partially transparent. I posted a screenshot of that here a while ago.
MattNW
Major
Major

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue May 20, 2003 5:42 am

Does the Zodiac XL initially have reflective textures?  If not, quite probably the builder did NOT include the particular "tag" that causes the model and FS to recognize the alpha channel is the reflective, and not opacity level.

That seems to be your problem ..  not your creating the textures.

Just repainting. I was trying to add reflective textures to the Zodiac XL's default paintjob. I used DXTBmp to open the texture and created an Alpha Channel in an intermediate shade of grey and imported that with DXTBmp but when I went to see my work the plane was a ghost image although it still showed the Red and White the scenery could be seen through the plane. I had the same thing happen a while back when trying to edit the tail numbers on the Baron but that was a part of the image I hadn't even touched. I edited the fuselage and it turned out perfect but the engine cowling was partially transparent. I posted a screenshot of that here a while ago.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MattNW » Thu May 22, 2003 11:31 pm

[quote]Does the Zodiac XL initially have reflective textures?
MattNW
Major
Major

Postby Felix/FFDS » Fri May 23, 2003 4:15 am

Not without the author setting up the parts.....

Nope. It didn't. That must be the problem. Is there any way to change this. The Zodiac would look 100% better with a little shine on it. It's a great little plane to fly (real docile while still willing to be thrown around) but the paintjob just isn't up to par.

Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Aircraft Repainting