Just For Sims

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Just For Sims

Postby P-40_Warhawk » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:26 am

Is there a program out there that is JUST for Flight sim and Combat sim retexturing and texturing? ??? I mean anybody can texture on MS PAINT but I cant Weather in there and I want to make repaints of aircraft when designerer allows me!
Some say my pinky toe was replaced with a fountain pen, and that I love to ride on nuclear bombs with a saddle. All I know is.... I'm called THE STIG!!!!
P-40_Warhawk
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Just For Sims

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed May 07, 2003 10:56 am

The only "just for sim" paint/texturing program is Visual Aircraft Studio - BUT - that only works on the FSDS source file ...  you'd still have to produce the airplane.

MS Paint is "fine' for touch ups, but as you've found out, other paint programs are more versatile.

Any good paint program - I favor Paint Shop Pro - is perfect.  The key to repainting is understanding the different formats in use. and using the right converter.

MArtin Wright's DXTBmp is the flightsimmers "standard".  MS' own "Imagetool" can also be used to do the conversions.

Key to any texturing, I think, is a paint program that allows you to use and manipulate layers, and offers you a smorgasboard of tools and effects.

Among programs that I've seen used by flightsimmers are:

Paint Shop Pro; Adobe Photoshop; Corel Draw; Corel Paint; Gimp!, pixia ....
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Aircraft Repainting