Hagar: DXTbmp discovery

A great entry on the design ladder, repainting can be rewarding & fun! Learn how here! (Not for repaint requests)

Hagar: DXTbmp discovery

Postby Hoot » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:38 pm

Turns out that if you pull the checkmark next to Include Mips in the Prefs menu, you don't have to wash it through ImageTool to kill 'em. DXTbmp won't save any mips without that checkmark present.

Enjoy!
------------
Hoot
Hoot
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Hagar: DXTbmp discovery

Postby Hagar » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:20 pm

Thanks Hoot. I didn't know about that option. I don't see the point as those mips are there for a reason. If you don't include them you might just as well use standard 8 bit or 32 bit format. IMHO

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hoot » Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:01 am

I can't include them on my repaint (FSD T-38) because the mips cause a hideous blur in the texture. My tail numbers and some of the insignia were unreadable. Without the mips it all shows up nice and sharp. The only reason I'm using DXTbmp without 'em is simple; alpha channel. Not including them simply means that in the tower view at certain (distant) zoom levels, the AC shows up untextured. Not much of a drawback when you're looking for a crisp image.

FSD T-38 in a Japanese "Rising Sun" scheme

Enjoy!
------------
Hoot
Hoot
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:03 am

OK thanks. I take your point. This makes DXTBmp even better than I thought & the only texture converter you really need for CFS2/FS2002.
Nice repaint. BTW  :D

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby xmit » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:06 pm

Thanks Hoot, I was wondering why my repaints in FS2002 weren't nice and sharp like in FS2K. I thought it was the sim or DXTbmp, I used to use Bmp2000 for FS2k repaints. Thanks again......................
xmit
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft Repainting