Stone Hangar closed?

Positive feedback is what drives on any designer, repainter or contributor to create more & better. If you enjoy a download - please tell the contributors you like their work!

Re: Stone Hangar closed?

Postby Sakura » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:36 pm

They were more for people who flew for the experience, not for the eye candy.
Sakura
Captain
Captain

Postby Jet Black1 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:23 pm

If it wasn't for ?????guys like????? Mike Stone most of us would only have about 15 or 20 planes or less.
That is just saying he and others like him not just him.
JetBlack1
Greg
Hutto,Texas
Jet Black1
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby F3Hadlow » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:09 pm

They were more for people who flew for the experience, not for the eye candy.

Did you ever try flying his F111? I know I did, not a great experience....
F3Hadlow

Postby ozzy72 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:16 pm

I feel that most of Mikes kites were superb, well made and purely a joy to fly. I think a lot of people get fixated on the gizmos, buttons and shiny lights. Maybe Fozzer has the truth of it trundling up and down California in his Cessnas and microlights. Sometimes I think we forget that planes are there for the joy of flying not the "mine is bigger/better/louder than yours".
I've been chuffin' around today in my Vulcan and an Antonov. The Ant wouldn't win any beauty awards and the VC isn't all that hot but I've had hours of pleasure from it as it is a wonderful plane to fly. I think it is a case of beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Most of Mikes planes are in my hangar and every now and again I'll just grab one and zoom off for 3 or 4 hours of pure stick time in some remote locale and just enjoy them for what they are PURE FUN.
Mike you'll be missed ;)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby igorski » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:18 pm

Mikes Models were a god-send when I used to fly FS9 on my laptop, a 2gig celeron with 7 hundred and something gigs of ram couldnt handle the top gear at max rate , but Mike's models ran fine.

To anyone who complains, go suck on a sock! Mike was freeware, anyone who complains about freeware deserves to be kicked in that whatsits! Mike's webite always stated that he built planes for one person, himself. The fact that he gave us the work too was purely a choice of his.
igorski
Major
Major

Postby JSpahn » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:03 pm

I have used a few of his aircraft and yes very frame rate friendly and nice to fly. Its a shame he has closed down, I bet he will be back. Those Gormless teenagers shouldn't of bothered him in my opinion but what can you do.
JSpahn
Major
Major

Postby llamedos » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:46 pm

His work is available for download Here

Enjoy  ;)
llamedos
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby LeFeaoux » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:55 am

If it wasn't for guys like Mike Stone most of us would only have about 15 or 20 planes or less

Where did you get that idea? I've never used a Mike Stone model but I've always had plenty of aircraft.

Of course it's sad to see any freeware designer stop making things because people are sending nasty messages to him, but let's be honest, his models were far from the best.

I have to agree. Stone made a couple of decent planes that I personally have in my hangar but I promptly deleted most of his stuff that I downloaded.

I can't say that I agree with people sending him nasty messages, that just isn't cool however, I am not going to throw undue praise at the guy.

I thank these designers who supply us with these "freeware" aircraft and I appreciate what they do for us ... some of their stuff is AWESOME! On the other hand though, some of them put out some pretty cheesy stuff. You guys who are bashing those who criticize Mike's work need to understand that MANY of us are in it for the REALISM and we get a bit ticked when we see something we want, download it, go through the trouble of installing it (which isn't easy sometimes with the flawed directions some of them include with the model) just to find that it doesn't work or is a very unrealistic aircraft that looks like a toy. I know that ticks me off!

Creating these aircraft is absolutely NOT easy and takes TONS of work, I know because I am trying to learn it. However, if someone DOES make these aircraft and puts them out for public display and use then they better be prepared to catch some flak if it is a junky or unflyable model. I am definitely NOT going to praise someone who puts out junk just because he worked so hard to make that junk. Personally, I would never put-out a model like some of those I have seen Mike put-out. For one, if it isn't perfect, I won't release it not just because it isn't perfect but also because I wouldn't want that substandard aircraft to spoil my reputation as a modeler.  

Sure, free is great but free junk is still junk!
LeFeaoux
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby baileycat » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:56 pm

A shame to see him retire indeed..... at least he made the only Bristol Britannia for FS9............

Ben
baileycat

Postby EDDIELOFTY » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:18 pm

i use a lot of mikes work my self flying and as AI'S  mainly becuase one they look bloody good i dont really care for any one esle VIEW it's my choice not yours theres or any one esles .
he made FREEWARE  models so that other could use them he put a lot in to those models THERE some out there that dont really know how long it takes to make a model some models take bloody ages  NOW come saying i am not going to thanks the guy for his hard work even if you dont like his work is rude sodding rude !!
=============================================
THE FINGER OF BLAME FALLS ON EVRY WEBSITE THAT HAS A FORUM WHEN THE MODS DONT DO THERE JOB AND JUMP ON BRATS LIKE THAT  
=============================================

and are not told to pack it in or the post they put up is not deleted then what do you expect
you expect mike to sit there and do nothing come be real and pull your heads out of your arse's and put a stop to the bitching that goes on

I WOULD like to see mike return on day with more support but i cant see that happening

regards ed

( if you feel you have to relpy as you have been insluted then please feel free to park your head down some sewer ) and dont waste my time or yours it my view and i dont wnat to hear what some sploit little brat has to say so p** off
EDDIELOFTY
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Vuikag » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:11 pm

to us dial up fiends he was a saint. all you have to do is modify the aircraft.cfg with stuff you can find on the internet like weight and thrust or whatever, and of course change inertia and effectiveness values and blah blah blah, but if you do this, there really good aircraft since they look good for only 1mb.
Vuikag
Captain
Captain

Postby Dr.bob7 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:32 am

In my opinion if he made a Cessna of any kind and it flew perfectly like a real Cessna (even better than the defaults) I wouldnt really care what it looked like, (Texturing(What i do  ;D)is the only thing thats supposed to look great when you make it)
Dr.bob7
Major
Major

Postby Dr.bob7 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:34 am

to us dial up fiends he was a saint. all you have to do is modify the aircraft.cfg with stuff you can find on the internet like weight and thrust or whatever, and of course change inertia and effectiveness values and blah blah blah, but if you do this, there really good aircraft since they look good for only 1mb.

*shiver* i rember my dial up days a avergae 10Mb file would take an hour to download,

speeking of great designers lately id say his unoffical predecessor is Mark Rooks he releases a ton of great planes almost daily
Dr.bob7
Major
Major

Postby pete » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:47 pm

*shiver* i rember my dial up days a avergae 10Mb file would take an hour to download,

speeking of great designers lately id say his unoffical predecessor is Mark Rooks he releases a ton of great planes almost daily

Mark Rooks isn't a model designer. He repaints

Kazunori Ito is a name that comes to mind when I think of prolific designers today. Like Mike, a great guy.
Last edited by pete on Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dr.bob7 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:54 pm

I thought he modeled to, he releases files with full aircraft i thoght he improved on them a lil but but I guess i was worng, ive only made a few repaints so ill never be a famous designer
Dr.bob7
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Contributor Feedback