Freeware panels need to be more modern

Positive feedback is what drives on any designer, repainter or contributor to create more & better. If you enjoy a download - please tell the contributors you like their work!

Freeware panels need to be more modern

Postby Gary R. » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:35 pm

Now that there is a decent freeware Garmin navcom package available why do designers turn out new panels still using the boring old bendix/king default units?  These Garmins are available on avsim.com file library FS2004 gauges as well as here as part of the updated cessna 182rg package.  Real world manufactures are installing Garmin avionics as original equipment.  There is no reason why FS designers should do the same.  I've already modified my Socata TB 20 with the Garmin 530/430 in place of the default bendix stack and eliminated the fake KLN 90 gps readout/display switch.  After I do some fine tuning and and add the GNX 340 audio I will upload with permission the required gauges and panel cfg for all who have the TB 20 Trinidad just to show panel designers what possible.
AMD 2800xp on gigabyte vt600l k7 triton overclocked @ 2.3 ghz, 768 PC 3200, 128 DDR 6600GT AGP, 60 gig,5200 rpm maxtor, 160gig 7200rpm WD, Sony FD Trinitron 19
Gary R.
Captain
Captain

Re: Freeware panels need to be more modern

Postby Dan » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:21 am

I guess I have never really thought about that. I normally do Cessna panels etc (C310) and I can use the normal stock Cessna gauges. Of course you wouldn't use new stuff on an acurate 310. Still, try not to be ungrateful. There are some great panles out there.
Dan G
3DMark01 || [url=http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/]OCUK - The best UK shop
Dan
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:14 pm

Authenticity? Also its personal preference.
I don't like the Garmin that much, mind you I largely drive warbirds.
I wouldn't complain if I were you, just be grateful that people take the time and make the effort to produce these things for us.

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gary R. » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:04 pm

Of course, you gentlemen are very correct.  I am very appreciative of the excellent freeware planes and panels available many of which totally trump the best of commercial offerings of comparable types.  I do often alter files for my own personal use as in the famous socata tb 20.  I have swapped the standard bendix units for the new garmin navigators.  Unfortunatly, I haven't figured out as yet how to get them to share data and inputs from one cockpit view to the other and there are 3 views which depict the stack, 2d main, co-pilot, and v/c.  I have dropped a e-mail to Don Kuhn tonight to ask him if there is a way to slave all views to the 2d panel placement of the gauges.  I plan with permissions to upload this panel enhancement for those who have the TB 20 once I get it perfected.
AMD 2800xp on gigabyte vt600l k7 triton overclocked @ 2.3 ghz, 768 PC 3200, 128 DDR 6600GT AGP, 60 gig,5200 rpm maxtor, 160gig 7200rpm WD, Sony FD Trinitron 19
Gary R.
Captain
Captain

Return to Contributor Feedback