Looking for info on contact points

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Looking for info on contact points

Postby stephan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:20 pm

I am looking for any information that can help me understand contact points.In some of the Ac cfg files,theres a list showing what the points are,but it is vague to non-existant as to what they really do.I need the info as to what each does.Anyone know if theres a manual or something that has this info I can download?Thanx.Stephan :-?
stephan

Re: Looking for info on contact points

Postby garryrussell » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:27 am

Hi Stephan

If you look at the cfg of a default aircraft...the Cessna 172 for example, it lists what each point means :)
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby stephan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:27 am

Yep.Ran into their 'description' many times.And,on each line,the description of what some of the data place holders entries are,are vague at best.My question is,why have 8 to 12 lines of data?What does each line represent?I am looking for some text that gives good information on each entry place holder and what each of those lines represent.Thanx gents. :-?
stephan

Postby dave3cu » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:06 am

Stephan, if you have the FSXSDK installed (comes with FSX Deluxe/Accel) you can get basic info on all lines in the aircraft.cfg in the 'fsxsdk.chm' help file. Look under the Sim Object Creation Kit section.

If you do not, then the this ESP document provides the same info as the FSXSDK help file. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526949.aspx#mozTocId836373..

A brief tutorial on landing gear contact points. http://www.mudpond.org/contact_points.pdf.
Last edited by dave3cu on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
At that time [1909] the chief engineer was almost always the chief test pilot as well. That had the fortunate result of eliminating poor engineering early in aviation.
dave3cu
Major
Major

Postby stephan » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:02 am

Major,sir;
I thank you for the help.At a quick glance,it looks as if you have given me exactly what I need.So very much appreciated.With this information,hopefully I can help myself more and not have to bother you folks so much with what to may be to you and the folks of the Forum,common knowledge.Again,I thank you for taking the time and helping me.Truely,I understand now,the difference between Major,Col.,Lt., and Groundhog. ;D
stephan

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:47 am

With this information,hopefully I can help myself more and not have to bother you folks so much with what to may be to you and the folks of the Forum,common knowledge.

Oh, PLEASE be a bother ...  we will be more than glad to help dispel any of your notions that modelling is easy, and steer you into a forest of self-doubt.  Believe it or not, it's the questions that are posed that make modellers "think" up of ways to do something.  Many times experienced modellers have been helped by supposedly "beginners" coming up with a wild idea.  For example - I've been modelling for years, but your question on contact points made me pause... I've been relying so long on modelling aids, that I asked myself... do I REALLY know what each parameter is?  Every once in a while it's good to "go back to the basics".

Again,I thank you for taking the time and helping me.Truely,I understand now,the difference between Major,Col.,Lt., and Groundhog. ;D

In the forum, the difference is the number of posts, not necessarily the knowledge.   IF it were on knowledge, I'd be stuck at 3rd Lt.... "knows enough to be extremely dangerous"
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Gringo6 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:37 pm

I'd suggest you get a copy of "Aircraft Container Manager" in which you can change, add or delete contact points to your heart's content. It is visual so that you can see what you are doing.

Do a google search for it, and once you have it you'll never try to live without it again.
Gringo6
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design