F-18 Warhawks(help please?)

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Re: F-18 Warhawks(help please?)

Postby ShaneG_old » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:47 pm

The texture file for the VC glass needs to be modified in an editing program like PSP or Photoshop, I'm tweaking and testing it now, if you want, I can just send you the file or I can upload it here at the V and you can just download it from there. ;)
ShaneG_old
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Razgriz227 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:30 am

oh wow thank you either way works for me :)
Razgriz227
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ShaneG_old » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:10 am

Bad news, I cannot get that darn glass to go clear for nothing, I have modified every texture in the folder and saved everthing having to do with the VC in every format possible and it still stays black :-[.

Call to designers : Any one know how to fix the KBT F-18 glass? This is not like all the other easily fixed blacked out VCs. Is it possible that the VC glass texture is part of the model file itself? If it is, I imagine that there will be no possible way to adjust this one for FSX.
 I have done this many times with plenty of other planes and always had success, but this one is really stuck in my craw now. >:(
I have also sent KBT an email requesting the name of the file used for the glass, but I don't see how I could have missed it, and a google search has turned up nothing of any value in helping to solve this one.
ShaneG_old
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Razgriz227 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:58 am

thank you for your help
let me no if anything new turns up
Razgriz227
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ShaneG_old » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:00 am

I sure will, I'm gonna keep trying it, and hopefully will get a response from KBT. ;)
ShaneG_old
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Razgriz227 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:15 pm

thanks so much
Razgriz227
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Arkycharlie » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:06 pm

Guys, I have beat my head against the wall trying to fix the black glass in the VC in this aircraft more hours than I care to admit.
Arkycharlie
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby StACAttack » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:54 pm

You could maybe download MDLMat and change the material of the glass? I can't seem to work it though...

[ftp]http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/download/MDLMat.zip[/ftp]
StACAttack
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Wii » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:58 pm

You could maybe download MDLMat and change the material of the glass? I can't seem to work it though...

Program is for MDL's not BMP ;)
PS: you hit the "FTP" link no the "URL" link ;)
Yes, very strange, I can't seem to get them to work but the guy who posted them says in the readme he has FSX SP2 and it works fine... does it require accel maybe? :-/ I don't have accel and I really want an F-18 :-X
Wii
Major
Major

Postby ShaneG_old » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:33 am

Yes, very strange, I can't seem to get them to work but the guy who posted them says in the readme he has FSX SP2 and it works fine... does it require accel maybe? :-/ I don't have accel and I really want an F-18 :-X

I have Accel and it won't work for me. :( I have played with every texture file that comes with this plane and can't get that glass to become transparent. I've never heard of a texture being part of a mdl file myself, but I'm not quite as knowledgable in that area as some others so I guess at this point it is a good possibility.
The funny thing is, I can get just about every other part of this plane to become transparent except for the cockpit glass. :D
ShaneG_old
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Wii » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:18 am

I have Accel and it won't work for me. :( I have played with every texture file that comes with this plane and can't get that glass to become transparent. I've never heard of a texture being part of a mdl file myself, but I'm not quite as knowledgable in that area as some others so I guess at this point it is a good possibility.
The funny thing is, I can get just about every other part of this plane to become transparent except for the cockpit glass. :D

Just a shot in the blue but maybe this plane doesn't have a "vcglass.bmp" texture? It seems to me (because it shows up pitch black, not even a reflection) that something is missing. I could be wrong but I might send the guy who posted it a quick email this afternoon to see how he got it to work and why it isn't working for us. :-/
Wii
Major
Major

Postby ShaneG_old » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:15 am

You know, you might be on to something there! I never even considered that possibility. :-[
ShaneG_old
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Arkycharlie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:11 pm

[quote]Just a shot in the blue but maybe this plane doesn't have a "vcglass.bmp" texture? It seems to me (because it shows up pitch black, not even a reflection) that something is missing. I could be wrong but I might send the guy who posted it a quick email this afternoon to see how he got it to work and why it isn't working for us.
Arkycharlie
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ShaneG_old » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:34 pm

I know which file they are refering to, I can make that door frame turn transparent but not what I thought was the glass, which is attached to the same file. The file that I believe to be the correct one for the vc glass is 'sh_vc04.bmp' , but have had no luck still. When I removed the file altogther, I just had more of the VC blacked out than I did before.
I even repainted that glass texture solid white, and solid black and set the appropriate alpha's and still nothing. Just blackness on the glass, but the frame would disappear.
Last edited by ShaneG_old on Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaneG_old
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Arkycharlie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:21 pm

Shane, I've discovered that if you remove chrome.bmp from the texture folder, it makes the exterior cockpit glass black.
Arkycharlie
Ground hog
Ground hog

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design