FLightsim Design Programs

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Re: FLightsim Design Programs

Postby Felix/FFDS » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:24 am

What will fsexport allow me to do.

`
That just happens to be the one little plugin that will let you export your gmax scene "*.gmax" so that makemdl can convert it to a *.mdl file

Right now, if you try to "export" you should only be getting the *.p3D" format choice.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Delta_ » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:10 am

Can i get fsexport from anywhere else because i don't have fs2k2
Delta_
Major
Major

Postby Felix/FFDS » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:31 am

Can i get fsexport from anywhere else because i don't have fs2k2

Legally, no.  Since it came with FS2K2 Professional, it's part and parcel of it.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Delta_ » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:21 am

How can i make aircraft for FS using G-Max?
Delta_
Major
Major

Postby Hellhound » Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:24 pm

one of three ways:
one: getting fsexport somwhere illegaly
two: get someone else to convert them (like i do, thanks to ender baron)
three: wait untill ms comes out with the rest of the 2k4 sdks

i reccomend number two, do not reccomend the others

well of course! i'm trying to hit them!

always fight fire with fire... because you get a bigger one!
Hellhound
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby holtz128 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:27 pm

To answer the AutoCAD question:  Yes, AutoCAD can be used to design the primary model, but it's a round-about way . . . you will need to export your DWG file to a 3DS file type.  Then, G-MAX will be able to import the 3DS file.  I'm running AutoCAD 2000, but earlier versions may not have the 3DS export type.  Using the DXF export may not work well and you may loose some of the mesh / solids properties.  I've been working on a 500D mesh and it imports to G-MAX fine.
holtz128
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby MickeyMouse » Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:48 am

Han - I don't know if you ever get over to the Rhino Renderosity forums, but I go by the same name there also.  My question is, how well does Rhino work for modeling planes for FS2004?  Do you have any hints/tips?  What about poly-count?

Thanks
MickeyMouse
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:04 am

[quote]Han - I don't know if you ever get over to the Rhino Renderosity forums, but I go by the same name there also.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MickeyMouse » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:46 am

Ok, so the way I would work this is to create it in Rhino, export as DXF into Gmax and then save and place directly into FS?

Thanks
MickeyMouse
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:05 pm

Ok, so the way I would work this is to create it in Rhino, export as DXF into Gmax and then save and place directly into FS?

Thanks

The path of least resistance would be to create in Rhino, export as dxf or 3DS, import into gmax and finish there the animations, texturing and export to FS.

dxf export will not (as I understand it) support transfer of animations and UVW mappings.

I'm not sure if exporting to 3DS and importing to gmax retains UVW mapping information and animations.

However, if you can do animations and UVW mapping in Rhino, doing it in gmax should basically be the same principles, and picking up the details - which buttons to click, etc.) should not be a problem.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Anti-Societys Snake » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:16 am

What are SDKs, where can I get them? I can't make any aircraft for 2k4 unless I also own 2k2pro ? Even tho the the 2k4 box says gmax ready?
Anti-Societys Snake
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Felix/FFDS » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:33 pm

What are SDKs, where can I get them? I can't make any aircraft for 2k4 unless I also own 2k2pro ? Even tho the the 2k4 box says gmax ready?

The SDKs (Software Development Kits) are available from Microsoft, and for FS2004/FS9, you DO NOT neet FS2K2 Pro.

Click on the "Fs2009 SDK" link in my signature... :)

gmax 1.2 comes on your FS9 CD1 disk, "extras" folder.  Install that, then install the appropriate SDKs, do the tutorials to learn the program, and have fun.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Felix/FFDS » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:36 pm

The SDKs (Software Development Kits) are available from Microsoft, and for FS2004/FS9, you DO NOT neet FS2K2 Pro.

Click on the "Fs2009 SDK" link in my signature... :)

gmax 1.2 comes on your FS9 CD1 disk, "extras" folder.  Install that, then install the appropriate SDKs, do the tutorials to learn the program, and have fun.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ziliu » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:41 pm

SDKs stands for Software Development Kits, and are collections of tools and documentation officially released by Microsoft that are necessary to develop addons.

The SDKs for FS2004 can be found on http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/fs2004_downloads_sdk.asp

And the FS export module can be found on that page, can't it, in the gmax gamepack SDK, can't it?

The gmax program itself can be downloaded free of charge from here:http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax
ziliu
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby flitezimz » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:34 pm

Discussing Gmax.....my original reasons for avoiding that program was their EULA. In the original release, they demanded that applets be installed in your computer that allowed them to see into it when you were online [in the fine print]. I sent a formal objection to Microsoft stating that they were supporting potential piracy of private work prior to copywrite. They acted like they knew nothing about the Gmax EULA. If the license agreement has been reworded, I would like to know about it. If it hasn't, all of you had better read it. I did not feel Gmax was user friendly in licensing. Tell me if they have changed.
flitezimz

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design