Copyright

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Copyright

Postby hyperpep111 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:58 am

If I want to make a freeware plane e.g a T-50, Would I have to get permission from Sukhoi? Cause I really dont want to get into trouble if I start :(.

[center]Ren
Most people think that flying a plane is dangerous, except pilots because they know how easy it is.
Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Re: Copyright

Postby garryrussell » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:21 am

Some manufacturers are sensitive especially if it's a current aircraft

Not often problems, but really there is little point in asking anyone other than the manufacturer themselves. :-/
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby Capt.Propwash » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:26 pm

I have heard that there is no real problem with making a plane for FS.  Most Manufacturers wont really care.  The problem lies in painting/texturing it.   If it is going to be a "fictional" paint job, rock on.  But if you were going to do something like a BOEING 757 - DELTA AIRLINES (which you already said you were not, youre wanting a Sukhoi) .... you would have to contact DELTA AIRLINES and get permission from them to use their likeness / design.

BUT!!!!!!!! To err on the side of caution, I would still attempt to contact Sukhoi and ask their permission to use their likeness for a Fictional Paint/Texture for Flight Simulator, and would they put said permission in writing and mail it to you.
The thoughts and expressions contained in the post above are solely my own, and not necessarily those of Simviation.com, its Moderators, its Staff, its Members, or other guests. They can not, are not, and will not be held liable for any thoughts, or expre
Capt.Propwash
Major
Major

Postby DaveSims » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:28 pm

The only manufacturer I have ever heard of taking issue with their aircraft is Gulfstream.  The most realize it is just a sim, and is a compliment that people want to spend the time to recreate their aircraft for it, or at least just don't care.  Gulfstream seems to think it will taint their image, or they would lose control of the rights to it, by having their aircraft modelled.  Either that, or their legal team is just that bored, they want to pick on the little guys that will never be able to afford to fly on one.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby DaveSims » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:29 pm

[quote]I have heard that there is no real problem with making a plane for FS.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:30 pm

BUT!!!!!!!! To err on the side of caution, I would still attempt to contact Sukhoi and ask their permission to use their likeness for a Fictional Paint/Texture for Flight Simulator, and would they put said permission in writing and mail it to you.

I would leave well alone. No point in stirring up trouble where none exists. I can't believe the authors of the large variety of freeware aircraft posted all over the Internet contacted the manufacturers for permission. Payware is different.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby hyperpep111 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:40 pm

[quote]The only manufacturer I have ever heard of taking issue with their aircraft is Gulfstream.
Last edited by hyperpep111 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most people think that flying a plane is dangerous, except pilots because they know how easy it is.
Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby DaveSims » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:06 pm

[quote][quote]The only manufacturer I have ever heard of taking issue with their aircraft is Gulfstream.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby hyperpep111 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:47 pm

[quote][quote][quote]The only manufacturer I have ever heard of taking issue with their aircraft is Gulfstream.
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby machineman9 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:53 am

When I started making my Grob Tutor model (something that I need to start over with and sort out) I went to speak with Grob Aerospace first. I told them that I wanted to make a non-profit aircraft for a game and asked if they had any issues with it. I also asked them if they had any blueprints or other design pans that I might see... Guess what? I got permission and approval and I was sent PDFs of their basic plans and various technical views of the aircraft. In terms of breach of copyright, you should largely be okay so long as it is non-profit. It would most likely come under 'fair use' policies and be seen as a parody of their work, or a derivative. So it should be okay to replicate any aircraft as it is merely deriving from the original design and they probably won't care anyway for secret aircraft as the 'secret bits' would never be made public so they couldn't be injected into the game at all!
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:59 am

The general view is freeware is fine to do whatever you like (otherwise we'd have had George Lucas on our back about X-Wings and things in FS), however payware you do need to discuss with the manufacturer as some don't like you making money on the back of their products. That said I know several people who've got permission on the grounds it is great publicity for their products.
So as long as you're going freeware I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck with getting the data and cockpit photos plus specs, I don't think much is in the public domain but hey I'm sure it'll be fun to fly ;)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DaveSims » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:17 am

The general view is freeware is fine to do whatever you like (otherwise we'd have had George Lucas on our back about X-Wings and things in FS), however payware you do need to discuss with the manufacturer as some don't like you making money on the back of their products. That said I know several people who've got permission on the grounds it is great publicity for their products.
So as long as you're going freeware I wouldn't worry about it. Good luck with getting the data and cockpit photos plus specs, I don't think much is in the public domain but hey I'm sure it'll be fun to fly ;)

The Gulfstream projects I am talking about were destined to be freeware.  That however did not stop the company from taking offense, and threatening legal action.  While you may be vindicated in court about it being freeware and public domain, who here has the money and time to fight the system.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:21 am

There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby hyperpep111 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Where do you get all these articles? :-?  ;D ;D:P

[center]Ren
Last edited by hyperpep111 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby machineman9 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:38 pm

Where do you get all these articles? :-?
machineman9
Major
Major

Next

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design