WIP - Grob Tutor for FSX (Updated 30th Jan)

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

WIP - Grob Tutor for FSX (Updated 30th Jan)

Postby machineman9 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:33 am

I tried the UKMIL Tutor out for myself the other day and I thought it was a fair representation of the real aircraft, but I didn't feel completely happy with it. In response (and to avoid the "if you don't like it, then let's see you do it yourself" type comments) I have started work on my own Grob Tutor which is just starting to come along now.

I have backing from Grob Aerospace and they have been kind enough to give me some fairly detailed plans (including dimensions, angles, full layout, etc) of the aircraft. Unfortunately, I had already started work on my Tutor using whatever material I could find to get my dimensions, but I plan to start over later today using these better dimensions which are absolutely spot on and should ensure an accurate 3D model of the outside of the aircraft (if my modelling skills are up to it)

Here are the new wings and the first bit of the nose

Any thoughts on the project, tips, advice, etc is appreciated.

Cheers for looking.
Last edited by machineman9 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machineman9
Major
Major

Re: WIP - Grob Tutor for FSX (Updated 30th Jan)

Postby machineman9 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:08 pm

Does anyone have any tips as to how I can angle the nose of the aircraft backwards without distorting everything out of place?

For an example of what I mean, the nose is meant to angle back as in the picture HERE.

If I move the points back, they seem to distort and it looks like the aircraft hit a steel pigeon in mid flight.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby C » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:34 am

No idea about 3D modelling, but it's about time someone did a decent Tutor. I suspect those in the past haven't quite got enough from seeing the aircraft close up, and the finer details of some of its curves!

Good luck!
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby machineman9 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:26 pm

No idea about 3D modelling, but it's about time someone did a decent Tutor. I suspect those in the past haven't quite got enough from seeing the aircraft close up, and the finer details of some of its curves!

Good luck!

I'm using Airliners.net for a lot of my references just to see how angles should look on the final piece, but I have a huge 18000x13000 image from Grob Aerospace themselves with a lot of the finer details drawn out for me which I just need to copy to get onto my model. It's just times like this when I hit a snag that it takes me a while to fix these sorts of problems out. It's a fun learning curve anyway.

And thank you
Last edited by machineman9 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby C » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:42 pm

Good luck!

I'm using Airliners.net for a lot of my references just to see how angles should look on the final piece, but I have a huge 18000x13000 image from Grob Aerospace themselves with a lot of the finer details drawn out for me which I just need to copy to get onto my model. It's just times like this when I hit a snag that it takes me a while to fix these sorts of problems out. It's a fun learning curve anyway.

And thank you
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby UKMIL » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:54 pm

good on you for 'having a go mate'. we should never knock people for giving this a lark a go.

however, please be careful about knocking other models so blatently, until you CAN produce better, as you have shown, you are not there yet with the nose section.
Last edited by UKMIL on Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ukmil.org.uk
UKMIL
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby machineman9 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:22 pm

[quote]good on you for 'having a go mate'. we should never knock people for giving this a lark a go.

however, please be careful about knocking other models so blatently, until you CAN produce better, as you have shown, you are not there yet with the nose section.
Last edited by machineman9 on Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby AviatOrme » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:20 pm

I just wanted to check if this project is still alive!

I love the grob tutor too, especially after a go with my local AEF, and just wanted to make a request.

Would it be too much to ask for you to send me a copy of those schematics? I enjoy making model aircraft, but the closest thing to a plan I can find is a blurry thing on the RAF website!

I hope all is going well on the project front, assuming it's still going.

All the best! ;)
AviatOrme
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby machineman9 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:11 pm

It has been a major hiatus whilst I got college things sorted. I hope to continue it at some point... I'm just having major troubles with my 3D software and the more complex bits of the modelling.

I'd be happy to send you what I have of the Tutor, send me a PM with your details and I can forward you what I have. Grob themselves were very helpful and they actually sent me all of this stuff.

I will probably continue it when I find CAD software that will do what I want; I think it would probably be more useful than animation software, purely because I have a lot of dimensional information.
Last edited by machineman9 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby AviatOrme » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:01 am

Sent!

Check Your PM's!
AviatOrme
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design