Independent Control on Multi-Engine Helicopters

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Independent Control on Multi-Engine Helicopters

Postby Eng. Rafael Coronel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:37 am

Hi guys,

I've been developing aircrafts for MSFS for a long time. However, this is actually the very first time I design a multi-engine helicopter (4 motors). I've been searching a way to independently control those 4 motors but I haven't found any clue about how to achieve that.
Sounds like MSFS handles the control of multiengine aircrafts in the configuration of an ordinary airplane (motors parallel to Earth).
Please, I'd appreciate a lot if someone can help me on that task.
By the way, I use GMAX to design my helicopter.

Regards!

Rafael Coronel
Viva Santos Dummond!!!
Eng. Rafael Coronel
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Independent Control on Multi-Engine Helicopters

Postby Opa » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:10 pm

If you have not already done so, I suggest you visit the HoverControl website. 

It is dedicated to all things Helicopter related and the "hard core" rotor-heads hang out there.

http://www.hovercontrol.com/

Good Luck on your project.
David "Opa" Marshall
Opa
Captain
Captain

Postby Strategic Retreat » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:15 pm

The limitation of FS control on single engine on a multiple engined craft, I fear, can only bridged, and sadly only partially, using purposefully coded XML gauges. I fear you either must find the help of a XML coder or learn to code XML yourself, to bring your project to a satisfying conclusion. :-/

For the rest, I know very little about helicopters and only was able to make big holes on the virtual ground with the simulated ones. Cannot help you there. :P
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Capt.Propwash » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:12 pm

being one of the "rotor-heads" over at HoverControl.com (HC271CA_Cappy *CP*) the best person for you to talk to over there is Jordan Moore. He is the website owner / and he does design helos in what little bit of free time that he actually gets.  Good Luck trying to get in touch with him.
The thoughts and expressions contained in the post above are solely my own, and not necessarily those of Simviation.com, its Moderators, its Staff, its Members, or other guests. They can not, are not, and will not be held liable for any thoughts, or expre
Capt.Propwash
Major
Major

Postby Ivan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:10 am

Let me guess... you are making a Mil-Mi V-12?
Russian planes: IL-76 (all standard length ones),  Tu-154 and Il-62, Tu-134 and [url=http://an24.uw.hu/]An-24RV[/ur
Ivan
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Eng. Rafael Coronel » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:43 pm

Not at all Ivan.
My question concerns to general 4 motors helicopters. In this case, a quadrotor.
There must be a limitation in MSFS to helicopters, but I'm not still sure. MSFS probably treats thrust in helicopters like a unique force upwards and the roll/pitch/yaw comands are simply given by the joystick. It means that we cannot simulate the torques that are produced, e.g., in aircrafts. For example, when you fly the 737 and you apply full throttle to engine 1 and engine 2 remais off, a torque is produced clockwise over the airplane z-axis.
My idea is to produce the same forces over the axis of a quadrotor by applying different thrusts to different engines.
I've found it hard to determine it in Gmax or even in the MSFS "air" file.
Any ideas?   
Viva Santos Dummond!!!
Eng. Rafael Coronel
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Capt.Propwash » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:57 pm

not fully knowing all the axis's and which way they run....

on the Osprey, you can fly it like a helo, or airplane by rotating the Z axis with Flaps command. Could you do the same or something similar on your aircraft?
The thoughts and expressions contained in the post above are solely my own, and not necessarily those of Simviation.com, its Moderators, its Staff, its Members, or other guests. They can not, are not, and will not be held liable for any thoughts, or expre
Capt.Propwash
Major
Major

Postby jgf » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:12 pm

From what I've read (I'm neither programmer nor designer), the problem with controlling a single engine in multi-engine aircraft stems from a timing problem in FS9.  There is a gauge which corrects this, it is invisible so can be dropped anywhere on a panel.  I don't know if this is what you seek, but the file is RCBse-10.zip:  FS2004 Selection Correction gauge by Rob Barendregt.
jgf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design