Nemeth Designs closing its doors...

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Nemeth Designs closing its doors...

Postby Capt.Propwash » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:13 pm

DIRECT to you from Hovercontrol.com forums:: http://www.hovercontrol.com/cgi-bin/ib3 ... =1;t=19842

posted by AUSSIECOP, Owner of Nemeth Designs..

It is with great sadness that I need to let the community know that we will be ceasing further development on products until we develop a proper anti piracy measure to beat the rampant piracy of our products.

Less than a week after the release of the A109 it has started appearing on torrent sites and our sales have gone to virtually nothing the very next day.  We had some download issues where we had to make other arrangements to make sure customers were still getting their downloads, one of these customers decided to obviously share this and it was downloaded over 400 times in 24 hours, just goes to show how much this hurts us as we have sold under that in total sales since release.

I am writing this post very frustrated at the people that think what we do is something they want, but don't feel they need to pay for the 6-8 months of work we put in to produce it.  The thing some people are not aware of is that 2 out of the 3 developers at ND rely solely on income derived from the making of these helicopters.  This is not my full time job, but it is to the other 2 developers and without income there is no money to keep expenses like websites and internet connectivity going and that means in the end, no more ND.

Although this is not accusing anyone here at hovercontrol, I am aware that there are people who pirate our products that come here to converse with other helicopter flight sim enthusiasts.

To those of you who think that is perfectly fine behaviour, understand that without people buying products from us, there is no more products, so that next helicopter you wanted in FSX may not come due to the people who think it is ok to just download and not pay for it.

This community as a whole is great and I have enjoyed speaking with everyone in this role, it is just unfortunate that the few who think it's perfectly ok to behave like this may prevent us from bringing new models to the FS community unless we can find a foolproof system that ensures that we can still receive income from our work.
The thoughts and expressions contained in the post above are solely my own, and not necessarily those of Simviation.com, its Moderators, its Staff, its Members, or other guests. They can not, are not, and will not be held liable for any thoughts, or expre
Capt.Propwash
Major
Major

Re: Nemeth Designs closing its doors...

Postby BrandonF » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:18 pm

In order to avoid confusion, I would have included "temporarily" in the topic title, as once they find a solution, they are resuming development.  ;)

The way I see it, piracy of add-ons is never going to be stopped. Not the way FSX and FS9 are set up. If Microsoft came up with a way to prevent piracy with Flight add-ons, that would be great. But I doubt that the current versions of FS will see the end of piracy.  :(
BrandonF
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:06 am

Sad news, alas anti-piracy is always a cat and mouse thing and there is no 100% secure solution....
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby DowninFlames » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:36 am

Nemeth should hook up with Flight1 to use their wrapper or Aerosoft.
Last edited by DowninFlames on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
DowninFlames
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:17 pm

I know for sure that Flight1's security was cracked a while back. Some clever-clogs came up with a way around their install systems ::)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Capt.Propwash » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:31 pm

My thought, is package everything and only sell on CD's. Make the Cd's Copy-protected like the FS9 Disk 4 was. .. yes, there are ways around it, but the average jo-shmow wont know the programs to use to crack the CD.

in that.. put a watermark inside & outside the aircraft.. special registration number.
Last edited by Capt.Propwash on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The thoughts and expressions contained in the post above are solely my own, and not necessarily those of Simviation.com, its Moderators, its Staff, its Members, or other guests. They can not, are not, and will not be held liable for any thoughts, or expre
Capt.Propwash
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:59 pm

This is why Pete is so supportive of freeware developers, they give totally selflessly for the pleasure of others.
I have no issue with payware developers, I've beta-tested for a fair few but having been involved with freeware products a lot more (as a tester as well as developing flight models for people) I can't express how much satisfaction I've got from seeing screenshots of kites other people have developed and I've helped make fly (I'm as artistic as a banana).
So hooray for freeware 8-)
Last edited by ozzy72 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design