Questions (Again...)

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Questions (Again...)

Postby Shadow » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi,

I've finally found some time to get back into FSX and start some modeling. I've gone through a couple of tutorials and it looks do able.

Anyways, I've heard that some companies will try and give you a err, hard time for modeling one of their planes (Gulf Stream for example). Would this apply to freeware as well? Because I can't see how they can do much if you aren't profiting off of it.
I'm not the best designer. . . meh I think I'm pretty good for 14 years old. . .
Shadow
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Questions (Again...)

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:03 pm

In the grand scheme of things, yes.

No, you're not making money off the freeware model, but you are taking their intellectual property (name/ logo/ design, etc) and distributing it - even if you're not being compesated.

Gulfstream is one of the more notables, but to a certain extent, most of the "majors"  are like that (even if they've out sourced their brand licensing)

I think.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Shadow » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:29 pm

:( Hmm, I was hoping it wasn't going to be like that...

Although,

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

If one argues that the purpose of the model is for criticism and comment of ones modelling skills and it is done for no profit, one may be able to get away with it (Depending on if it is released).

Anyways, I'm going to try my hand at modelling now so, any constructive criticism would be welcomed.

Edit: I have my pictures in gmax, and have them showing up properly, but cannot seem to get them to appear transparent.
Last edited by Shadow on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the best designer. . . meh I think I'm pretty good for 14 years old. . .
Shadow
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby alrot » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:06 am

excuse mua to dig my nose into this ,I have heard that thing too about gulfztream airplanes and I think they must be a group of idiots ,

If I were them I would allow and even encourage to promote airplanes of the company for a FSX /FS9/fs2002etc games ,who knows ,maybe Cessna ,Boeing are more happy about my free contribution of a free advertisement of their product I have made for free ,who knows people talk MORE about Cessna Citation X than Gulfztream , and who knows maybe a millionaire googles "Corporative Jets" and maybe and eaglesoft ,Wilco or a certain freeware model
Last edited by alrot on Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Venezuela
alrot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:28 pm

@Alrot - Cessna is as protective, but at least they do some licensing. 
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Shadow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:26 am

Well, I decided a while ago to try the G650. It most likely won't be released anyways so there's no copyright issues or anything that I can see them bringing up. Anyways, I started earlier today and have ended up with a ruff fuselage.

I have tomorrow off so I'm going to continue on it then, and hopefully get some ruff wings built as well. I have to do some changes to the area where the wings attach, but other than that, I think it's looking not too bad so far. :)

Shadow
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:01 am

You still 14years old? looking good so far! Now, with that fuselage, try teh Mesh Smooth option in Gmax...
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:40 am

Before using Mesh Smooth, I'd try the polygon smooting first...  No need adding complexity to the mesh if not needed!
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby alrot » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:11 am

[quote]@Alrot - Cessna is as protective, but at least they do some licensing.

Venezuela
alrot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby DaveSims » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:35 pm

:( Hmm, I was hoping it wasn't going to be like that...

Although,

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

If one argues that the purpose of the model is for criticism and comment of ones modelling skills and it is done for no profit, one may be able to get away with it (Depending on if it is released).

Anyways, I'm going to try my hand at modelling now so, any constructive criticism would be welcomed.

Edit: I have my pictures in gmax, and have them showing up properly, but cannot seem to get them to appear transparent.

While you may be able to make a case, can you afford a top level group of lawyers?  Gulfstream can. 

While most simmers find Gulfstream's stance illogical, they have been very agressive in protecting their image and aircraft.  I guess they feel having their aircraft in a game lowers their reputation, and that of their customers.   ::)  Or perhaps some young lawyer in their legal department has nothing better to do.  I have often wondered if a professional, formal request to their CEO or board of directors would gain more leverage than waiting for their lawyer to write.

I have also wondered if Microsoft would be able to negotiate directly with Gulfstream one day in order to have a Gulfstream as a default aircraft.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby Shadow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:26 pm

I have also wondered if Microsoft would be able to negotiate directly with Gulfstream one day in order to have a Gulfstream as a default aircraft.

Wish for in Flight? :)

You still 14years old? looking good so far! Now, with that fuselage, try teh Mesh Smooth option in Gmax...

Yep, still 14, 15 in May. :)

I got a bit of work done today (not as much as I wanted, but still some). I got the fuselage smoothed and a ruff wing done and smoothed, however no luck yet on that bulge where the wings attach.

Here a few pics:

New Wings (Still awaiting winglets):

And the smoothed fuselage:

Shadow
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby BrandonF » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:19 am

I decided to just give the fuselage a quick little try this evening...here is what I came up with:

I made this quick and didn't use a lot of segments in my cylinder, but you can still use it as reference if needed.

Instead of using the same cylinder to make the bump where the wings attach, I'd make another cylinder and shape it to fit on the fuselage under the plane.
Last edited by BrandonF on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrandonF
Major
Major

Postby Shadow » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:34 am

I decided to just give the fuselage a quick little try this evening...here is what I came up with:

I made this quick and didn't use a lot of segments in my cylinder, but you can still use it as reference if needed.

Instead of using the same cylinder to make the bump where the wings attach, I'd make another cylinder and shape it to fit on the fuselage under the plane.

Hmm, that might be a better way of doing it, it would make it simpler and get rid of a lot of my unwanted bumps in the fuselage. I'm not really sure on the accuracy of mine anyways because I couldn't find very good reference pictures (Either the get jagged when blown up or they're at an angle :(). I'll try something like that hopefully tomorrow or Thursday.
Shadow
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby alrot » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:20 am

[quote]

some young lawyer in their legal department has nothing better to do.
Last edited by alrot on Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Venezuela
alrot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby patchz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:18 am

I've always wondered why some companies were so dead set against free advertising. Seems to me, the prudent thing would be just the opposite. But then I don't own a multi million (billion?) dollar company. ::)
If God intended aircraft engines to have horizontally opposed engines, Pratt and Whitney would have made them that way.
patchz
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design