Stopping the propellor in a specific orientation

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Stopping the propellor in a specific orientation

Postby Wickid » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:31 am

I'm creating a model of a glider with retractable engine. And for it to retract the propeller needs to be dead vertical. But now when I shut down the engine it stops in a random position. Anybody know how to make it stop vertical so I can retract the engine. I'm using the Concorde nose animation for the retraction of the engine and the propeller.

I'm using FS Design studio.

Wickid
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Stopping the propellor in a specific orientation

Postby Wickid » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:29 pm

No Suggestions? That's the only thing I'm stuck on. The rest is coming along nicely.

Wickid
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Felix/FFDS » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:01 pm

For FS-X, I presume?

The "easy"  way is to create a "fixed"  propeller visible only when rpm=0, and set your otherwise prop0_still_key to be visible at rpm>0...

in other words, you'll need to code a new "animation"  say, prop0_stopped for visible condition rpm=0,

and create a second new animation prop0_stillplus, say,which would be a straight copy of prop0_still_key with the lower visibility point at rpm=1

You'd edit the PartDataDefs.txt file in your main FSDS 3.5 folder to define the new part name(s), and of course, add the part information and coding to the modeldef.xml file in the FS-X SDK.

Easy peasey...

Disclaimer:  Since I've not really done XML coding, I can't advise you on the specifics of the XML code needed.  It's at this point that I hope that one the learned guru's un such matters will chiime in.
Last edited by Felix/FFDS on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Wickid » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:50 pm

Thanks for the reply. I'm still using FS9. My good old machine won't run FSX at all. I will look into the suggestions you made and report back. Any help is still welcome ;)
Wickid
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Felix/FFDS » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:22 pm

Then,. my suggestion doesn't work ...

FSDS 3.5.1 will compile with attachpoint codings - only for FS-X, not for FS9

Since you're modelling for FS-9, which version of FSDS are you using?  2.24? 3? 3.5.1?
Last edited by Felix/FFDS on Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Wickid » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:11 pm

Wickid
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fr. Bill » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:44 pm

For an FS9 model you could still create Visibility conditions which would "hide" the animated prop's when the engine is stopped, and display a non-animated, vertically oriented prop.
BillImage Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4GB DDR2 Crucial PC6400-800 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB DX10 [i
Fr. Bill
Captain
Captain

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:22 pm

makeMDLparts.xml has two interesting part names - engin0_turning and engine0_stopped, which are triggered off the engine rpm:1 variable.

The "running"  prop would be linked to a small part called engine0_turning, while the stopped prop would be linked to a small part called engine0stopped.

in turn, both engine0_xxx parts would be linked to the animated part folding /unfolding the enginer pylon.assembly.

I think.

(and thanks, Fr. Bill, for this is exactly what has been stopped me from working on a Baynes Bee - small twin engine on a wing that folded to lay fore and aft.  It needs the props to be "flat" )
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design