Avatar Flight Project (calling Avatar Fans)

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Avatar Flight Project (calling Avatar Fans)

Postby AvatarProgram » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Hello all,

Ill start by introducing my self i am Calum Mallory and im new here but ive been a member of the actual Simviation download sight for some years now. I am a big FSX fan and enjoy flying everything from A380s to Cessnas and Chinooks to Robinsons.

Im typing here today to see if there is anyone out there willing to create more awesome aircraft from the film "Avatar" like the awesome Nemeth Samson. I myself have unfortunately no experience of 3d modeling or textures or much else for that matter but i am very willing to learn (:

I envisage this as a medium sized team project. The aircraft i would like to create are the:
-Valkyrie Shuttle (The single coolest cargo aircraft ever)
http://www.avatar.matthewclose.co.uk/Media/Valkyrie.jpg

-The Dragon Gunship (the beast)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IYihBiTh-cM/TLSofHOb9UI/AAAAAAAACRE/Gqag65qJVXQ/s1600/00-dragon-gunship.jpg

Also if all goes well with aircraft it would be really good to create some scenery in the FSX world.Obviously it would need to be in the middle of nowhere so theres no impact on the rest of the FSX world. I doubt people would want to be flying round JFK then Home tree appears on the horizon like an oak skyscraper.

Once you have the scenery and the aircraft there are limitless opportunities for missions. Anyways theses are my hopes for the project which i hope we together can make brilliant. If your interested leave a comment or email me at calum.mallory@tesco.net.

Thanks for reading :) If there are any questions dont hesitate and i can get as much source material as a can lay my hands on if you would like.

Calum
Last edited by AvatarProgram on Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Avatar Flight Project (calling Avatar Fans)

Postby Boikat » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi!  I'm not a modeler either (but I'm working on it, slowly but surely), and like the idea.  I don't think making scenery, like the Halleluja Mountaisn would be toe hard.  IIRC, scenery objects can be made for FSX using Google Sketch Up, and I DL'd it and am going through the tutorials. I think the real problem with the floating mountains is going to be dressing the tops with trees, bioluminescent or otherwise.

Aside from the aircraft, the AMP suits would be interesting, along with mountain banshees and the great leonopteryx (With and without a Na'vi "mokto"), though I think they would be a strain on the average system due to the ammount of animation involved.  But I think something usable could be done, if for no other reason, the technology is advancing fast enough to handle it on newer computers, and FSX supports "skinned" animations, from what I understand.  It's simply a matter of graphics horse power.

Speaking of whih, Dire Horses would also be nice. :)

The only real problem I forsee is figuring out how to get Polyphemus to take up a large chunk of sky.  :D
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Major
Major

Postby AvatarProgram » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:12 am

Hi!
Glad to see some interest  :) ye ur right about polyphemus but i dont think its something that we would have to have. Good point about the Naavi banshees and of course the leonopteryx i hadnt thought about that aspect it would be really cool swooping down the edge of a mountain on a banshee. I think that modelling every flex of their wings would be a little tricky but not impossible. But hey what do i know...

Could you possible tell me what you are using to learn modelling because i think my problem is i dont know where to start. Ive got gmax and all that but no clue what does what.

Great to hear from you

Calum :)   
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Boikat » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:34 am

On the wing flex of the Banshees and Leonopteryx:  They probably would not neet to many, but as you say, "What do I know?"  I think thye are doable in Gmax.

As to learning the modeling aspect, I'm learning Google Sketchup at present, and they have excelent tutorials that take you step by step.  I also have Gmax, but yes, it has a steep learning curve.  I haven't worked with it for a while, since I'm waiting to get a new computer, but searching Utube yealds a lot of "how to's", some better than others, and some are very good.  Also, asking questions in this topic will usually get results.
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own" Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Boikat
Major
Major

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design