MDLs and Stuff

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

MDLs and Stuff

Postby Cessnaporsche01 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:02 pm

I've never modeled a plane before, but I have some 3D CAD experience and would like to try my hand at a plane of my own. To start with, I'd like to open a default plane to look at and play around with (and learn my way around AutoCAD LT 2004, the only 3D-ish modeling program I have at the moment, too).

According to Hughes-MDflyer4's "Important Topic" on MDL conversion though, other files cannot be converted to or from MDL files. And according to Microsoft, the only programs that can open MDLs are GMax and MATLAB... does this mean I need to buy one of these programs to model a plane for FSX/2004? If so, count me out; I'd rather buy a car with that kind of money!
Cessnaporsche01
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: MDLs and Stuff

Postby alrot » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:38 pm

Gmax its free,and I think is the favorite to work in all MSFS its comes in fs9-sdk and FSX-SDK ,Don't make the same mistake as many other ,this isn't about shaping or skills making something that you can only see it inside gmax or max ,this is about the interface with FSX & FS9 programs.
and ordinary shaped 3d max or gmax program Will not work ,It need these interfaces makemdl9.exe for FS9 and Modeldef.xml /XtoMdl for FSX

How can you make a propeller work,for example in FSX how can you make a wheel spin inside the game? , how can you make a lever or buttoms work inside a vc or turn on the landing lights,how these lights iluminate the runway or set the altitude using a altimeter knob ,this is the hard part ,also as exporting from *.gmax *.max to mdl

there is this guy how recently shape a beautiful helicopter and didn't have a clear idea how to export ,see this little explanation I gave him JUST TO EXPORT ONLY

http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 1283792228
Last edited by alrot on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venezuela
alrot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Cessnaporsche01 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:17 pm

So, if I don't have FSX Gold Edition, does GMax come with the shiny 4-disc metal-cased FS2004 come with an SDK somewhere? Or if not, can you direct me to a place where I can download GMax that doesn't cost $999 plus $99 for every patch and feature?
Last edited by Cessnaporsche01 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cessnaporsche01
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby alrot » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:26 pm

So, if I don't have FSX Gold Edition, does GMax come with the shiny 4-disc metal-cased FS2004 come with an SDK somewhere? Or if not, can you direct me to a place where I can download GMax that doesn't cost $999 plus $99 for every patch and feature?

Gmax its free , as Far as I know Legally you can download it here ,Its free ,you just need to register just like I did , and the SDK

http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

you need to tell me which SDK
Last edited by alrot on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venezuela
alrot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Cessnaporsche01 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:26 pm

Okay, I've got the GMax site...

I'd be willing to use an SDK from FS2002, 2004, or X, but FSX would be preferable, being as it's the newest and all.
Cessnaporsche01
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fr. Bill » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:42 am

According to Hughes-MDflyer4's "Important Topic" on MDL conversion though, other files cannot be converted to or from MDL files. And according to Microsoft, the only programs that can open MDLs are GMax and MATLAB...

Just to be clear on this. GMax with the FSX SDK installed will create .mdl files. It cannot however READ .mdl files...
BillImage Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4GB DDR2 Crucial PC6400-800 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB DX10 [i
Fr. Bill
Captain
Captain

Postby Cessnaporsche01 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:49 pm

Oh. So to reopen MDLs after saving them or to use another aircraft model as a reference I need to buy the multi-million-dollar program that was used to design the F-35...

:P *shrugs*

So anyway... Know where I can download an SDK from FS2002 or newer?
Cessnaporsche01
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fr. Bill » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:20 am

Oh. So to reopen MDLs after saving them or to use another aircraft model as a reference I need to buy the multi-million-dollar program that was used to design the F-35...

:P *shrugs*

There is NO program that can "reopen MDLs after saving" that is of any real use. Arno's ModelConverter X can load (many) .mdl files, but the export to .3ds format is mostly useless, as all parts have been collapsed and welded into "lumps" based on their draw calls.

Even worse, all animations and embedded XML script code is completely lost in the process.

It would take longer to work through the mish-mash of mesh and "reassemble it" than it would to simply model the bloody thing from scratch.

While many parts of the SDKs are downloadable, the core component -the export module itself- is only available from original FS2002, FS2004 or FSX "Deluxe" edition CDs/DVDs.
Last edited by Fr. Bill on Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BillImage Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4GB DDR2 Crucial PC6400-800 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB DX10 [i
Fr. Bill
Captain
Captain

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design