Aliasing VC

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Aliasing VC

Postby CHUCK79 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:14 pm

Is it possible to alias a VC to a plane that doesn't already have a virtual cockpit?If this is a stupid question I'm sorry.
There are some great planes out there that don't have virtual cockpits.I was just wondering if there was any way to add one.Thanks :(
CHUCK79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Aliasing VC

Postby Brett_Henderson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:26 pm

I've never tried aliasing.. but I have copied an interior model from one FSX NATIVE **  aircraft into the another's model folder, and then edited the model.cfg file..

**Native is the key. FS9 models have the interior model built into the exterior model.. you cannot seperate them.. So a ported model cannot have an interior model added to it (without access to the source file)..
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby CHUCK79 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Thanks for the info.I'm just starting out trying to modify my planes so,please excuse my ignorance. :D :D :D
Last edited by CHUCK79 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHUCK79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby B_7772 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:41 pm

For step-by-step directions:

The aircraft model must be compiled using the FSX SDK. The merge will NOT work if this is not the case. But how to tell?

1. Open the model folder of the plane in question.
2. Inside you will see a file (for example "737.mdl") Open Notepad and drag the .mdl file into it.
3. After some seconds a whole bunch of stuff will appear. don't worry we are only interested in the start of the text on the first line.
4. This is from Phil Taylors blog that explains the rest :

To determine if a model was built with the FSX SDK, use a file viewer or hex editor to look at the file. Near the beginning of the file, you should see the characters "MDLXMDLH" if it's an FSX model. An FS2002/2004 model will show "MDL8MDLH"

Now that we have gotten that out of the way lets do a merge using a Posky 737NG as an example. We will use the 737-600. You might already have the Posky 737-600 in your FS9 folder.

Part 1: Updating the FS9 Model
1. Copy the 737-600 folder into FSX\Simobjects\Airplanes
2. Delete the panel & model folders.
3. Now you need to go to the Posky website and download the updated 737-600 model for FSX.
4. We will use the Standard Model in this example which is named FSX)Standard Model Update 2 (OSX736)
5. Here is the download page: http://www.projectopensky.com/downlo...n=modelpackage
6. Download that model file and cut-paste the model folder into the 737-600 folder.

Part 2: The Panel Merge with default VC
1. Copy-paste the panel folder from the default 737-800 into the Posky 737-600 folder.
2. Copy-paste the folder named texture from the default 737-800 folder into the Posky 737-600 folder**
3. Open the model folder of the default 737-800.
4. Select B737_800_interior.mdl and paste it into the model folder of the Posky 737-600

**You might already have a folder called "texture" if you do you will have to rename it. This will affect the paint its calling so don't forget to update the aircraft.cfg!

So now your Posky 737-600 model folder should contain this:

-----------------------------
model
model.cfg
B737_800_interior.mdl
OSX736.mdl
-----------------------------

5. Open the model.cfg file in the Posky 737-600. You should see this:

----------------------------------
[models]
normal=osX736

We are going to add a line (shown in bold red below):

[models]
normal=osX736
interior=B737_800_interior

6. Save the modified .cfg and exit
7. Open the folder named texture in the Posky 737-600 folder - (see Part 2, Step 2 above)
8. Inside this folder you will see a texture.cfg file - if you open it you will see this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\texture
fallback.2=..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\texture
fallback.3=..\..\..\..\..\..\Scenery\Global\textur e[/quote]
-------------------------------------------------------------------

If you see the above when you open it you have the right file! Ok now close it (if you opened it to have a look!)

9. Paste this texture.cfg into EVERY 737-600 repaint you have. For example:

texture.SAS <----- put the texture.cfg in here
texture.westjet <----- put the texture.cfg in here

Basically this texture.cfg "tells" every repaint to look at the file named texture. The "texture" folder contains all the references the VC needs!

You are done. Your Posky 737-600 will now have the default FSX VC! You can do this with all of Poskys 737NG models. And of course any other 737 you find. Follow the same procedure for other plane types! Perhaps you found a freeware FSX 747-400 and want to give it the default 747-400 VC?
========================

An issue I notice is that the VC viewpoint is way off so you will have to use the keyboard commands to move back into the cockpit! I think an aircraft.cfg tweak (eyepoint=) can fix this.
Last edited by B_7772 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B_7772

Postby F4U » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:54 pm

I tried exactly what you described above and now the aircraft a Cessna 337 skymaster wont show up in game
F4U
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby BrandonF » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:24 pm

I tried exactly what you described above and now the aircraft a Cessna 337 skymaster wont show up in game

It's not an FSX native model, so it won't work.  ;) :(
BrandonF
Major
Major

Postby F4U » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:06 am

From the way it was described I thought that this was to copy a VC from an FSX native aircraft into an add on plane.
I was trying to copy the cockpit from a cessna skyhawk into the cessna 337 (I should of said this last night )
I should also mention that the plane is invisible in game I can select it I can fly it I just cant see it
Last edited by F4U on Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
F4U
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:13 pm

From the way it was described I thought that this was to copy a VC from an FSX native aircraft into an add on plane.
I was trying to copy the cockpit from a cessna skyhawk into the cessna 337 (I should of said this last night )

Just to clarify. The aircraft you wish to add a VC to must have been compiled with the FSX SDX. This is also known as a native FSX model. Most of these will already have a VC. I don't know of a native FSX Cessna 337.

I should also mention that the plane is invisible in game I can select it I can fly it I just cant see it

If the visual model displayed correctly before you tried editing it simply delete the aircraft & reinstall it. If you still have problems please give more details & post a link to the page the file is posted on.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby F4U » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:21 pm

Ok now I understand thank you. Im pretty new to this type of thing.  :)
F4U
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby microlight » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:37 am

Are you running an updated FSX installation? Some FSX planes (for example Tom Ruth's recent Airbus series) require Acceleration or at least some of the service packs for the model to become visible; might be the same here.

;)
microlight
Major
Major

Postby garryrussell » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:11 pm

What's the point in trying to add the VC from a single engined aircraft into a twin??? :o :-?
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design