Light on the subject.....

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Light on the subject.....

Postby JakesF14 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:38 am

or IS the subject!

I've modelled the landing lights into Gmax to work with the animation of the landing gear,and the lights work. But what can I do to make the light itself also illuminate? see the pic

just for reference, I use Gmax and FS9SDK and for FS9  :P
JakesF14
Major
Major

Re: Light on the subject.....

Postby garryrussell » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:43 am

Hi jakes

Sorry.not exactly sure what you mean :-/..........but light illumination is controlled by the material settings/name and the part name.

Garry
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby Fr. Bill » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:37 am

You need to map a clone of the polygon for the "sealed beam" object to a lighted bitmap (Self-Illumination)...

...then tag the two objects (unlighted and lighted) with a visibility condition.
BillImage Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4GB DDR2 Crucial PC6400-800 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB DX10 [i
Fr. Bill
Captain
Captain

Postby JakesF14 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:17 am

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it really!
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby JakesF14 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:56 am

Ok, I've mapped my landing light with the texture as below:

and I've made a lightmap as shown. I also add in the MakeMDL.cfg HasLightMap=1

somehow I cant add the lightmap as a illumination map in Gmax. I think I miss the point here (I SEE NO LIGHT   :)  )

I use Gmax and FS9SDK

any help?
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby Fr. Bill » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Did you assign your lightmap to the Self-Illumination slot in the Material Editor?
BillImage Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Eaglesoft Development Group Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600-4GB DDR2 Crucial PC6400-800 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD2400 Pro 256MB DX10 [i
Fr. Bill
Captain
Captain

Postby JakesF14 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:19 am

Did you assign your lightmap to the Self-Illumination slot in the Material Editor?

that is the issue - somehow it wont let me assign a different lightmap in gmax. let me take the steps over again, maybe it clears all up...

1) my landing light is mapped with the texture landinglight.bmp

2) i've made small polygons attached to the landing lights, which is white, and they have a basic material, with the name LANDING_LIGHT and is the actual light beams

3) now I need to add the illumination map to the landing lights, and in the position as showed in the highlighted position in the pic...

but when I click on that slot for the material, I can only apply material that is in use, and cannot browse for the material landinglight_L.

even if I change the name to that material, it also change the mapped material.

Eish!
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby Fr. Bill » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:11 pm

Click on any one of the "NONE" buttons and drag it to the Self-Illumination slot to delete the current filename.

Now click on Self-Illumination's "NONE" entry and browse for your "landinglight_L.bmp" file.

BTW, you can delete all but the forward facing polygon on your "boxes" to eliminate the other five unused polygons... ;)
Fr. Bill
Captain
Captain

Postby JakesF14 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:03 am

Click on any one of the "NONE" buttons and drag it to the Self-Illumination slot to delete the current filename.

Now click on Self-Illumination's "NONE" entry and browse for your "landinglight_L.bmp" file.

BTW, you can delete all but the forward facing polygon on your "boxes" to eliminate the other five unused polygons... ;)

Thanks, Will do so! Appreciate it!
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby JakesF14 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:28 am

It worked.... but not successfull.... yet

Ok, I've applied the lightmap to the object, and changed the name od the texture to landinglight_T.bmp.

now I have a different map for the texture and illumination, and great, I've expotrted the model. but still no luck with the light on. BUT now I have no texture showing up at all at night. the model is completely textureless.  any idea?

JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby Fr. Bill » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:44 am

Sorry for the delay in replying, but I only visit this website once a week or thereabouts (if I remember to at all!), because...

...quite honestly the forums at FS-Developer are far better for these discussions, and there are many, many more folks participating.

In any case, for your "lightmap" must have the "light source" in the RGB channels, and the Alpha channel must be pure black (0,0,0), and must be in DXT3.bmp format.
Fr. Bill
Captain
Captain

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design