GMax vs FSDS?

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

GMax vs FSDS?

Postby macklinbob » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:45 am

Other than price what advantage does GMax have over FSDS?

I have been able to design an object using FSDS but I am having a terrible time learning GMax. It just does not seem intuitive.

But by using MDL2DXF I have been able to get some airplanes into GMax. Many are semi clean but most seem to have a few errors.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa.
Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa
macklinbob
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: GMax vs FSDS?

Postby HectorD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:42 pm

I have been able to design an object using FSDS but I am having a terrible time learning GMax. It just does not seem intuitive.

But by using MDL2DXF I have been able to get some airplanes into GMax. Many are semi clean but most seem to have a few errors.

Bob Macklin
Seattle, Wa.

Gmax is much more powerful than FSDS in my opinion and I find Gmax easier to use than FSDS. You just need to learn the basics.

Go to FSdeveloper.com and watch video tutorials on using gmax.
HectorD
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby BrandonF » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:48 pm

If you are using MDL2DXF to convert a model, you probably want to get permission from the original author, as you should not do this if you are going to release a project as a download. Most of the time, converting a model from a mdl gives you a not so high quality result, and it is probably better to email the original author for the source file.
BrandonF
Major
Major

Postby Alejandro Rhodes » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:48 pm

I went too Gmax /3dmax a long time ago but Flight Simulator Design Studio once was the only one back in FS2002 and part of fs2004,Never seen it ,but I seen great airplanes made with that tool ,and I''m not sure that software also came with a tool to make the sounds ,and I think FS panel studio came from the same company (not sure ).
Many 50/50 are using FSDS as gmax ,but Gmax its free
Last edited by Alejandro Rhodes on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alejandro Rhodes
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:12 pm

I went too Gmax /3dmax a long time ago but Flight Simulator Design Studio once was the only one back in FS2002 and part of fs2004,Never seen it ,but I seen great airplanes made with that tool ,and I''m not sure that software also came with a tool to make the sounds

Neither does gmax/max

,and I think FS panel studio came from the same company (not sure ).

FS Panel Studio is a separate program from a different company.

[quote]
Many 50/50 are using FSDS as gmax ,but Gmax its free
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BrandonF » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:16 pm

And from what I hear, MDL2DXF only works on older FS98 models. But unfortunately there is a program by FS Developer.com that can convert FSX MDLs to 3Ds files. This is stupid since anyone can convert someone else's work. And it leaves all the texture mapping there!
Last edited by BrandonF on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrandonF
Major
Major

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Bob- I'll not comment on the conversion of MDL files.

However, gmax is the more powerful modelling program.  I've had gmax since version 1.0 came out (i teh FS2002 days) and still haven't been able to create a complete model with it.  I will admit, though, that it's more my lack of dedication to really learning it.

The key advantage of FSDS is that, as a flightsim specific program, it compiles your model in one step, versus having to create an mdl file, then manually create all the various model folder files and sub-folders.

However, that's not a major "advantage"  when you have access to powerful modelling tools, not to mention that while FSDS does use the SDK, the SDK tools were created with gmax and max in mind.

Using FSDSxTweak (a free utility from Dave Nunez), however, brings FSDS to enjoy practically all of the FS-X SDK eye candy benefits.

and yes, I am a die hard FSDS user.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Travis » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:19 pm

I'm the exact opposite of Felix: I learned on Gmax and find using FSDS difficult ( ::)) mainly because of a lack of need to figure it out.

Gmax is also a useful tool if you are trying to develop for other games or have other intentions, most of which come from learning the systems and figuring out what the gadgets do.

That being said, the learning curve on Gmax is tremendous.  You have to REALLY want to design.  I come from a technical drafting family background, so it was a bit easier for me to pick up Gmax after using AutoCAD and TurboCAD for so many years.  But for those that have never tried their hand at making models, choosing FSDS is probably a better option!
Travis
Major
Major

Postby BrandonF » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:34 pm

GMax is my first time using design software, and although the journey was difficult, today I know all of the basics pretty well.
BrandonF
Major
Major

Postby garryrussell » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:51 am

Max is complex but once learned there is a lot you can do that you can't do so easily in FSDS

For example....if you have a part made form a 24 point tube and need to increase it to 32 you can do it in Max but in FSDS you will have to start again.

There are a lot of automated functions in Max that need to be done manually in FSDS.

FSDS does enable you to model well and some functions are more straightforward...like texturing but that's only really an issue whilst getting familiar and then corners can be cut.

Basically FSDS is easier to learn but Max is easier to use.

I have been on Skype with someone who has demonstated how Max can perform functions like blending and adding or subtracting windows so much easier than FSDS but the terminology is confusing and it is easy to get lost, but that is only a case of practice.

If you want to get going and make models then FSDS is all you need.

A lot of Max's complications is because it is a 3D modelling programme so carries a lot that will never be used for Flight Sim.

FSDS being a programme for FS, is more ready to go and things are not hidden away from sight to the same extent.

But strip away the complexities of Max then there is more there than in FSDS, but FSDS is adequate for your needs.

Having aid all this...some modellers move parts back and forth between both depending on what stage the model is at.

Whatever you do choose.......having knowledge of the other can only be to you benefit.

Garry
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby JakesF14 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:15 am

[quote]I'm the exact opposite of Felix: I learned on Gmax and find using FSDS difficult ( ::)) mainly because of a lack of need to figure it out.

Gmax is also a useful tool if you are trying to develop for other games or have other intentions, most of which come from learning the systems and figuring out what the gadgets do.

That being said, the learning curve on Gmax is tremendous.
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby HarvesteR » Wed May 05, 2010 6:34 pm

GMax is definitely the way to go... It's a completely different work flow than other FS-oriented modeling tools, but that's also what makes it shine...

The way GMax works is the same as it's 'bigger brother, 3D Studio Max... this is one of the most used professional 3D design tools in the world, and it can do just about anything... that's also what makes it more complex to use...

There's enough 3D science inside Max to occupy the intellects of 5 different professionals... I've been working with it for about 6 years now, and I'm still finding things I've never seen before... but really, the only thing you should master is poly-modelling in 3DS, or Mesh Modeling in GMax... for FS applications these techniques are just about enough to cover your needs... not forgetting also the basics of 3D models, like pivot points, Hierarchies and that whole lot of badness...

But it's really quite cool once you get the hang of it ;)

Cheers
:D NEW PC SPECS: Intel Core i7 920 - 6GB Corsair DDR3 PC12800 RAM- Intel DX58SO Mobo - Geforce GTX 460 768MB GDDR5 - 3x LG1952h LCDs through Matrox's TH2Go - 640GB Seagate Barracuda 7200Rpm
HarvesteR
Captain
Captain

Postby Dickert » Fri May 07, 2010 6:17 pm

To learn GMax, start with the tutorials that come with the program.  Start at page one and work through it one step at a time.  You do not actually need to make the parts the tutorial says, you could make airplane parts, but follow the tutorial at first.  So for example, when the tutorial has you make a set of stairs with the array method, you could make a turbine stage instead using the same intructions.  Make your pilot instead of the charator, etc.
Dickert
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Wing Nut » Wed May 19, 2010 1:55 am

Last I heard, you couldn't do this in FSDS.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Wing Nut » Wed May 19, 2010 2:03 am

[quote]Last I heard, you couldn't do this in FSDS.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1440377488.jpg[/img]
Wing Nut
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design