Greetings, got bit by a bug

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Greetings, got bit by a bug

Postby houston144 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:46 am

So, been a lurker for a while as a E-flyer who only need was to "find another ride", that was up till about two weeks ago when I figured i had about four rides out of them all that I liked.....

So, I got doing some looking around on how to Pimp-my-ride, which currently is a KC-130 that some may have seen flying around in mutiplayer.

so I got bit by this "bug" of repainting, did one and then off I went to make a flaming ride out of a Rockwell OV-10A and yet another "reding" on the old BABA Black sheep  Chance Vought F4U-1A....

I "played with all those in what was said to be the "old school way, using DXTBmp and PS7...

so been looking at this program called -GMAX- and the more I try to use it...the bigger the headache i get, can anyone out there drop some pointers my wayon how to just "get-started" with just loading an image into it to work with it...?

I am sure I can help in return somehow.

there is a "model" of the P-3C orion, that if you read the "translated" text it would read...as-if the model performs 100% in FSX but not in FS2009 ( I got Both) it works 100% AND THEN SOME in 2009 (FS2004), even the radar works, I been chasing hurricanes around with it....just for some fun!

well hope to be hearing from some of yea all, thanks in advance.
houston144
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Greetings, got bit by a bug

Postby garryrussell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:10 am

Have you tried many of the written and video guides for this found by Googling??

GMax is well covered for guides.
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby RaptorF22 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:57 am

Um, I think you might be a little bit confused.
GMAX is not an aircraft repainting program, it is a program for 3D modeling. In my opinion DXTbmp and PS is the best way to go about repainting. Although I use a program by Abacus, FSRepaint, to view the paint on the A/C so I don't have to wait for FSX to load and I don't have FSX using up my CPU power and RAM.
And for future reference, this should probably go in the Aircraft Repainting forum.

Hope this helps! :)
Last edited by RaptorF22 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
RaptorF22
Major
Major

Postby garryrussell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:49 pm

I find the whole post difficult to understand...about E flyer and pimping a ride

I am under the impression he has tried repainting and want to have a go a modelling......

What does "Old School way " mean in this context???
:-/ :-?
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Postby JakesF14 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:46 am

so been looking at this program called -GMAX- and the more I try to use it...the bigger the headache i get, can anyone out there drop some pointers my wayon how to just "get-started" with just loading an image into it to work with it...?

I think what he means is he want a tutorial that shows him how to start modelling in Gmax...? How to get a line drawing in Gmax to start shaping a model?
in that case I will suggest, you may want to have a look at this:

http://www.simviation.com/gryphon/tutorials/gMax_00.htm
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby houston144 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:17 am

Well to clear up the confusion, as to Gmax I was under the impression that you could "repaint" in it, but after a bit of days of trying to do....anything with it left me a bit ber-frazel-ed.

so..for repainting, why I called it the old-school method was because that's how I read it in a guild on the how to's for all using PS-7 with DXTBmp. The thing that got me going toward GMAX is wanting to fix/repair or resurface the skin on the bones of the model.

here are some things I am doing with my kc-130 where I put my Email on the internal fuel tank.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/houston144/4864753995/in/photostream

put some "pink ribbons" on it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/houston144/4864742629/in/photostream/

even did some carrier testing with it...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/houston144/4865372300/in/photostream/

any who sorry for my thumbs...but I just getting use to your site.
Last edited by houston144 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
houston144
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garryrussell » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:43 am

Yep. ;) that comes under rpainting in the way you describe

The only way to change the skin and bones, is in the modelling programme (may not be GMax) it was created in using the source files that only the author has.

Gmax only reads texture files created in a graphics programme, it can not create textures itself.

Likewise, no amount of texture fiddeling will have an effect on anything that is a part of the model.

You can only change colours, painted on detal etc. and the way they display.

:)

ATB 

Garry
garryrussell
Captain
Captain

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design