Help needed with rudder and turn coordination parameters

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Re: Help needed with rudder and turn coordination parameters

Postby snippyfsxer » Fri May 14, 2010 10:26 am

I don't suppose any of you guys own the ESDG Twin Comanche...If you did, it would be easier to compare notes.  It is perhaps my favorite airplane, but I just have trouble believing that the real thing requires such constant control adjustment even in a shallow turn.  I own a bunch of planes and normally I have no trouble keeping the ball centered at all, without having to pay particular attention to the guage  (do it visually, like you said, in the absence of butt acceleration).  If the airplane really is that unstable in the turn as the designers released, then I would be happy to abandon all of my tweaks and gladly enjoy the challenge of flying a difficult plane.

Maybe its time to just buy the Seneca instead.
snippyfsxer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby olderndirt » Fri May 14, 2010 1:16 pm

[quote]I don't suppose any of you guys own the ESDG Twin Comanche...If you did, it would be easier to compare notes.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby Travis » Fri May 14, 2010 4:46 pm

Have you completely ruled out your setup being the difference?  If not, try turning on autorudder for a few minutes and make some shallow and steep turns.  If the aircraft flies normally, it's entirely possible that something is amiss in your system.
Travis
Major
Major

Postby snippyfsxer » Mon May 17, 2010 10:04 pm

This thread is done, but I just came across something interesting in the real POH, for those that cared.

"Coordinated action of the rudder and ailerons is accomplished by cables that are interconnected by a cable-spring system."
Last edited by snippyfsxer on Mon May 17, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snippyfsxer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Brett_Henderson » Tue May 18, 2010 5:49 am

This is the best side of simming..  having fun AND learning  :)

You're simming with a respect for reality, realism. .. not just charging, bull-like through the sim china shop, en-route to instant ailrine captain  :D

I've got several hours in an old Seneca 1, and it had the spring-linked rudder. It was weird.. you could even see it on the ground. Moving the yoke, moved the pedals too. I never liked it, but the springs were easily over-ridden, for slipping and such.

In theory, a perfectly loaded, low-wing airplane (dihedral a given), would only need rudder application as it rolled into, and out of, a turn (why Dutch Rolls are good practice)... a little bit of elevator should then hold a nice, coordinated turn. However.. airplanes are rarely loaded perfectly, and there are many compromises built into them.

As an interesting side-note.. a single engine airplane (especially a high-wing), will require a bit of OPPOSITE rudder, to maintain a coordinated, climbing left turn  :o

I don't even think about rudder-use.. I just obey the signals from my butt and eyes... you can tell if the airplane is happily turning, or fighting it   8-)
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design