Help with solid objects

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Help with solid objects

Postby JakesF14 » Thu May 13, 2010 4:59 am

When working with a solid object, and you subtract one object from another using boolean operation, sometimes the object is nod solid anymore. Is there a way you can convert that object to a solid again?
I am using Gmax and FS9SDK

Thanks

Jakes
JakesF14
Major
Major

Re: Help with solid objects

Postby Travis » Thu May 13, 2010 7:35 am

I'm assuming you mean the difference between these:

ImageImage

I've never really figured out what the deal is with that.  It seems that the more complex the objects are means that it won't have a solid interior when you cut.  In that case, I tend to click the radio button for "Cut" under "Parameters" of the boolean operation instead of just "Subtraction (A-B)".  This leaves the mesh there, but cuts the polys in the shape you want.  You can then extrude the correct polys however you want.  After every boolean, though, make SURE you "Selected Weld" the vertices so that you don't wind up with the dreaded "collocated vertices found" when you export! ::)
Travis
Major
Major

Postby BrandonF » Thu May 13, 2010 7:50 pm

I hate when that stupid boolean thingy occurs. Drives me crazy.  ;D
BrandonF
Major
Major

Postby JakesF14 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:49 am

You guessed right Travis! Thanks for the answer. It was a shot in the dark, whishing there was answers..

Well it is strange in a way that If you flip that object, you get the invisiblae faces to be visible. so actually you need to just flip the invisible then?

Ugggh ok back to work!
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby Tech Diver » Fri May 14, 2010 7:26 am

If the faces re-appear when viewed from a different angle, then it sounds like the faces are there but the surface normals are reversed.

Peter
Tech Diver
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design