stupid ? but which is better Polygons or NURBS?

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

stupid ? but which is better Polygons or NURBS?

Postby ryanbrown321 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:07 pm

I am just getting into modeling and since NURBS are more flexible for modeling I was wondering which (polygon or NURBS) to use for modeling in FSX. Do either of these allow you to achieve better frames for users?  Is either one easier to convert into an FSX file without problems/hassles? Please excuse my ignorance but i am new at 3d modeling in general and I'm sure many questions about VC cockpits and animating doors, rotors, and blade flex will follow if i can't find the answers already posted on here.  Thank you for your time and patience

Ryan
ryanbrown321
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: stupid ? but which is better Polygons or NURBS?

Postby Travis » Fri May 07, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm not too savvy on NURBS myself, so I looked it up on Wiki, and what it looks like is this: when using NURBS, you're still using polygonal creation, it's just the method of manipulation is different.  It seems that NURBS would be best utilized when creating expandable and moldable shapes such as skin or rubber.  However, NURBS were created specifically for the auto and aerospace industries back in the 60s, so it may serve the purposes.

I'm not sure how current modeling programs such as Gmax (which I don't think can create NURBS) would handle trying to convert NURBS to a usable mesh for FS.  Your best bet, and the method that everyone seems to use, is to model the traditional way.

Of course, I'm talking out of my ear, so someone else may have an entirely different idea of all of this. ;)
Travis
Major
Major

Postby ryanbrown321 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:24 pm

thanks for your input Travis, your quick to answer my questions.
ryanbrown321
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Tech Diver » Fri May 07, 2010 7:07 pm

As someone who spent years developing CAD systems I can tell you that the mathematics behind flat polygons is significantly simpler. Polygons are defined by linear equations while NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines) use higher order equations. If you were to design a plastic injection mold cavity with complex curvature, NURBS are the way to go. But if you are looking for a fast/efficient way of displaying an aircraft, a polygon mesh would be the better choice. Techniques like Gouraud shading (vertex color interpolation) and Phong shading (surface normal interpolation) can make the faceted surface look like a smooth continous-curved surface.

If you could create the model initally with NURBS surfaces and then generate a faceted model, that would be great. NURBS look really nice for creating complex fillets, such as the way in which the wings join the fuselage.

Peter
Last edited by Tech Diver on Fri May 07, 2010 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tech Diver
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ryanbrown321 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks for the info Peter i will definately check my optinos.  I know you can convert NURBS to polygons.  I will definately check into it
ryanbrown321
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design