will this work to transfer Maya files to Gmax or 3DS Max

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

will this work to transfer Maya files to Gmax or 3DS Max

Postby ryanbrown321 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:08 pm

I was wondering if i could use the program on this site http://www.okino.com/conv/pt4maya8.htm to tranfer models (aircraft and buildings and objects for scenery) from Maya to Gmax and then into the flight sim without having to tweak too much once its imported into Gmax?  Has anyone tried this before?  I am new to modeling and scenery design but i currently have Maya 2010 and would like to learn how to use it by modeling for FSX.  My first project will be to model the Deep Horizon oil rig that recently exploded in the Gulf of Mexico as a tribute to the terrible loss this has caused.  If its good enough I would like to sell it for a couple of dollars a download and send ALL the money to the families who lost loved ones.  The reason behind this is most of my family is or has been in the offshore oil field business their whole lifes.  Please any help would be much appreciated.  Also I would love to make a Bell Longranger with customized flight dynamics and a VC. Thanks.  Ryan Brown.
ryanbrown321
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: will this work to transfer Maya files to Gmax or 3DS Max

Postby Travis » Wed May 05, 2010 12:21 pm

If you have access to 3DS Max this might work, but it costs around US$3500.  If you don't already have it, you're screwed.  Sad to say, Gmax doesn't utilize any format Max recognizes, except for importing *.3ds files, in which you lose all info regarding smoothing, animation and texturing.  So moving from Maya to Gmax via this method seems redundant, when all you would get is the mesh.  And mesh creation in Gmax is the easiest part!  So it might do you well to simply learn a bit about Gmax and go from there.
Travis
Major
Major

Postby ryanbrown321 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:56 pm

ok, will do.  Thanks for the info.  I was just wanting to learn Maya while i make models for FSX.  I'm assuming right now there is no easy way to export full Maya files (Model, animations, etc.) into Gmax then to FSX.
ryanbrown321
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ryanbrown321 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:05 pm

An after thought, If i was able to get my hands on 3DS Max, wink, wink, i could then create full models (animations, smoothing, etc.) in Maya and use this program to transfer the complete model (animations, smoothing, etc.) into 3DS Max, then use a plug in to transfer to FSX from 3DS Max.  Basically just use 3DS Max as a converter for all my files and not have to touch anything in 3DS Max except maybe re-sizing the model.  I will also be using Adobe Photoshop CS4 for textures. The reason for this is i have a lot of books and training info for Maya and also know my way around in Maya and would like to stick with it if possible.  Once again thanks you all who help me out.
ryanbrown321
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Travis » Wed May 05, 2010 1:16 pm

We here at SimV don't condone illegal software downloading or usage.  There are other alternatives.  Gmax is freeware, and has the ability to create models for FS.  Since you aren't already using Maya, I would definitely recommend getting Gmax and at least trying some of the tutorials.  I'm not sure about 3DS Max, but I do believe it has some issues transferring over to FSX through the SDK.
Travis
Major
Major

Postby ryanbrown321 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:01 pm

I completely understand and have found out that, that tool listed in the above website is $400+ so that is out of the question.  I will run to half priced books today and see if they have the Gmax bible and other references (that is where i got all my maya stuff for really cheap).  Thanks for your time in answering my questions.  Gmax here i come :) 
ryanbrown321
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design