The Cheetah Project

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

The Cheetah Project

Postby JakesF14 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:50 am

After a couple of requests from the guys at the SAAF, I've decided my next model will be the Atlas/Denel Cheetah D.(and C) Keep an eye on this post, as I will give updates here..
Wish me luck...
A bit of background on the aircraft:
Description:

South Africa performed an update to their Mirages along the lines of that of the Kfir and incorporating some Israeli-built kit. In 1986, Atlas Aircraft Corporation of South Africa rolled out a refurbished Mirage III machine named the "Cheetah". Improvements to the Cheetah featured:

* Structural upgrades to "zero-life" the airframe.
    * Kfir-like canards, nose strakes, and dogtooth wing.
    * An Atar 09K-50 engine, built under license in South Africa for the country's Mirage F1 fighters. The Cheetah featured larger engine intakes to ensure the necessary airflow.
    * Two additional stores pylons under the intake ducts, for a total of seven pylons.
    * A fixed refueling probe, mounted over the right air intake.
    * A Martin-Baker Mark 10 ejection seat.
    * New avionics, the majority of Israeli origin but with some elements built in South Africa, mostly packed into an extended nose.

The first aircraft to be converted was a Mirage III D2Z (airframe number 845) from April 1983. It is not known publicly when its conversion was completed, but when the type was officially unveiled to the public on July 16, 1986, the type was already in service with 89 Combat Flying School, although it was only declared operational the next year. In order to bring the airframes back to "zero hours" flown, some 50% of components were replaced. Also fitted was a new main wingspar, a "drooping" leading edge and a dog-tooth incision on each main wing. Improvements were also made to the avionics, radar, electronic warfare and self-protection systems, including a modern pulse doppler radar. This is used in conjunction with a digital navigation attack system and HOTAS (hands on throttle and stick).  Tactical reconnaissance is limited to day operations only.

The Cheetah D is the sole two-seater variant, and is mainly used operationally as a training aircraft for pilots converting to the Cheetah C, though it does have a secondary attack capability, including the ability to deliver precision-guided munitions (PGMs). Under Project Recipient, 10 of the remaining 13 Cheetah Ds were re-engined with the Atar 09k50C-11, replacing their original Atar 09C engines. The three not upgraded have been withdrawn from use. Recently, the Cheetah D's avionics were also upgraded, to bring them on par with the avionics in the Cheetah C, while the original three piece front windshield has been replaced with a one-piece wraparound version. Cheetah D No.845 is currently based at the Test Flight and Development Centre (TFDC) as a systems testing aircraft. It was recently used in the development of the Denel Dynamics MUPSOW stand-off weapon. Denel also keeps two Cheetah Ds for testing, No.844 and No.847. The former is Denel's standard systems testing aircraft, while the latter was used in the evaluation of the SMR-95 engine, a development of the Klimov RD-33. The performance increase offered by the Russian engine was impressive, but budget cuts and problems with the aircraft's centre of gravity ended the program. No.847 is currently in storage with Denel.

Although the two-seat Cheetah is generally refered to as the Cheetah D, they are more strictly known as the Cheetah B, D or D2, depending on the Mirage III airframe they were modified from.

The type was phased out on 1 April 2008 pending the introduction of the Gripen.
Last edited by JakesF14 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
JakesF14
Major
Major

Re: The Cheetah Project

Postby BrandonF » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:37 pm

Already deciding on your next project?  ;D
BrandonF
Major
Major

Postby JakesF14 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:36 am

Can never start too early to start collecting resources and info ...??
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby jaime » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:12 pm

nope you can't but word of the wise...finish your current project(s) before starting new ones so you don't burn your self out ;)
one of the starters of the burner pandemic
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:32 am

nope you can't but word of the wise...finish your current project(s) before starting new ones so you don't burn your self out ;)

As you may know, the JBizz was my very first project, and it was sort of my learning curve. The JBizz is released as is on SimV, in my opinion, it is good to go for a first project.(as I may say, better quality than other models i've seen) Also when visiting my site, you will see that from time to time there will be updates available. Well, Some things still need to be added, and I will do that once I know how. That does not mean I cannot gather Info on the next project, and even start.
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby Frequent Flyer » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:45 am

As you may know, the JBizz was my very first project, and it was sort of my learning curve. The JBizz is released as is on SimV, in my opinion, it is good to go for a first project.(as I may say, better quality than other models i've seen) Also when visiting my site, you will see that from time to time there will be updates available. Well, Some things still need to be added, and I will do that once I know how. That does not mean I cannot gather Info on the next project, and even start.

Is the model in SimV FSX compatible?
Frequent Flyer
Major
Major

Postby Thud » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:34 pm

Sorta, some gauges are missing, but it flies.

Nice design, looks like a Mirage and a Phantom had a baby!  ;D
Windows Vista (32bit)
Thud
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:59 pm

So you don't end up with 100+ models in various states of (in)completion, right?
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Travis » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:10 pm

So you don't end up with 100+ models in various states of (in)completion, right?

Well, that about sums it up for me, too . . . ::)
Travis
Major
Major

Postby JakesF14 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:50 am

Well, that about sums it up for me, too . . . ::)

Thank you for the advice.... ;) (about the CHeetah project..I was asked to do it by several SA simmers after seeing the JBizz... )

As said, the FSX version still need some gauges - I am working on it this week..

Thank you all for the comments , and the support! That is why SimV is awesome!!   8-)   ;D
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby jaime » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Sorta, some gauges are missing, but it flies.

Nice design, looks like a Mirage and a Phantom had a baby!
Last edited by jaime on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one of the starters of the burner pandemic
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:14 am

The first exports...

JakesF14
Major
Major

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design