AC-130 gun firing effect : possible ??? need help please

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

AC-130 gun firing effect : possible ??? need help please

Postby AMANDIL » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:54 pm

Hello fellow flightsimers !

I don't really know a lot about effects and aircraft configurations in the 3D, so I was wondering if anybody could tell me, if it is possible, to change an effect that I previously downloaded, and how.
The thing is, I have a missile like effect, more like a fireball effect, that I would like to put on a C-130 Hercules to simulate a canon firing. But the effect I have makes the fireball go straight. I was wondering if it was possible to make it go to the left of the aircraft, at 90 degrees from it's course.
(For information, this effect would be for personnal use only and the creator of this effect authorised any person who downloaded it to change it as long as they respect the "creators rights", which I will.)

Or, best of all, do you know any effect like the one I'me looking for ? That would be simpler
Last edited by AMANDIL on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMANDIL
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: AC-130 gun firing effect : possible ??? need help please

Postby Travis » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:58 pm

Okay, I just tested this out, and it works:

Open up the effect file using notepad.  Look for the line that reads "Z Particle Velocity".  The two numbers there should be transferred to the "X Particle Velocity" line.  Make the Z line read "0.0, 0.0" and that should take care of it!
Travis
Major
Major

Postby BrandonF » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:37 pm

This is not the right forum for this question.  ;)
BrandonF
Major
Major

Postby AMANDIL » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:07 am

Thank you very much for your help travis, even though it isn't the right forum for my question. Sorry.

Anyways, I'me going to try that and see if it works. Thans a lot :)
AMANDIL
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby AMANDIL » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:40 am

Hey Travis, what you told me seems to work, but only when the airplane is not moving. In fact, when the airplane moves, the particules go to the rear.
So, can it be fixed so that they go directly 90 degres to the left ?
Something that could help me too is knowing what the X, Y and Z are. I'me having problems figuring that out... which one is horizontal, vertical, etc...
Last thing, do you know which value has to be changed in order to accelerate the movement of the particules ??

Anyone is welcome to answer :) and again I apologize for posting in the wrong forum.
Thanks in advance.
AMANDIL
AMANDIL
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Travis » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:09 pm

X pos/neg = right/left
Y pos/neg = up/down
Z pos/neg = forward/backward

The "Particle Velocity" attributes are the speed at which the "bullets" move.

I believe "Rate" might increase or decrease the speed of fire.
Travis
Major
Major

Postby CAFedm » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Are the particles rear-facing or do they spread rearward with forward speed? If the latter, look for an entry in the effect like this:

"Drag=-1.00, -1.00"

Delete the entry, or change all the values to 0. Drag moves the particles relative to the wind (or possibly even forward speed of the plane).
Brian
CAFedm
Captain
Captain

Postby AMANDIL » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:40 am

Ok thanks a lot guys, really helpfull. The drag actually worked. Howether, there is one last problem... :/
the only thing that is going wrong is that the "bullets" start dropping and going down to the ground after a distance of "2 wingspan". What can be done so that they go straight until they hit the ground ?? With this little problem comes a weird thing too, the "bullets" (when more than one is "fired") do not follow each other and tend to spread while going down to the ground.
Does anybody have an idea ?

This thing is getting me crazy, so if this last change doesn't work, I think I'll just forget it. It's really complicated for me :P

Thanks again for your help
AMANDIL
AMANDIL
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design