Little help with speed

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Re: Little help with speed

Postby Dickert » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:02 pm

Hi Jake,

I installed your aircraft and the first thing that happened when I started FS9 is it updated the scenery files?  What is that all about?  Also, there are some files for the gauges directory, did you progam those or are they freeware you picked up somewhere?  And what about that Auto Pilot? 
Next, what are you talking about when you say it will not go fast.  On my confuser it went up to Mach 4.04 at sea level with only a little shaking, and I got Mach 4.65 at FL500 with the aircraft smooth as silk.  Other aircraft will have the elevator fludder at those speeds but non on yours.  Pulling up on the elevator at Mach 4.+ and it's momentum had me hitting the 100,000 ft barrier in no time.  The hardest part of flying this thing was keeping the screen from blacking out with high G's.  My own aircraft design starts to become pitch sensitive at FL400.
I like the chrome effect on the engines and leading edges.  Do you have a tutorial on how to do that.  I can't seem to get that kind of shine on my aircraft.
I found the cockpit windows restrictive and you should add more glass.  There are no side windows?  Hard to do a visual circuit that way... :(
Also the engines seem physically small for the size of the aircraft and the power they put out. 
So you are leaving me with a lot of questions .... "How did he do that?"
I can see there are a bunch of things to finish off, but over all - Very Cool!!!  :)
Harold
Dickert
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:38 am

[quote]Hi Jake,

I installed your aircraft and the first thing that happened when I started FS9 is it updated the scenery files?
Last edited by JakesF14 on Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby Thud » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:20 pm

Yeah I had the same thing with speed. Also when I was going around Mach 4 at sea level, I pulled straight up, barley lost any speed on the way, and made it to 400,000 ft. Hard to perform reentry ;D
But other  than that I really like your plane, looking forward for the finished version.
8-)
Windows Vista (32bit)
Thud
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:28 am

Complaining about a superfast jet?? Hehe. Thank you for the feedback,wil have a look into that.!
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby jaime » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:55 pm

seemes we just found a new replacement for the old shuttle....self powered too...WIN!

anyways the speed set up I had previously wasn't working right for you or did you need to tweek it more? if its still having issues where is the most current version so I can take a look and see whats going on? or is the one on your site the most current as of this month?

also the camera position is (at least IMO) way too far back, im working on fine tuning that and resolving that, as for the speed bit it seems rather stable...in fact maybe a tad slower then I want in the sense of what its supposed to do...
Last edited by jaime on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one of the starters of the burner pandemic
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:36 am

Hi Jaime,

The speed is not a problem, but keeping it realistic with the real world is. To achieve Mach 1.6 is Easy, but you dont want to reach 120 KIAS in 2 seconds. So there must be a balance in all. The difficulty comes in with the variable geometry wings. And I like to experiment with the CFG, I learn a lot this way!  ;)

Thanks for the feedback!
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby jaime » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:38 pm

i agree it shouldnt reach mach 1.6 in 2 seconds...as for the variable wings, I would suggest another setting, one that allows the wings to be 100% extended (open) with flaps UP, then the next setting (or settings depending on what you want) should involve the flaps extending...would make it a bit more realistic since when I travel at less then mach speeds I would like to have the wings full open with flaps UP and not extended kinda thing...(I hope this makes sense to you) its kinda like the F-14 tomcat...
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:00 am

i agree it shouldnt reach mach 1.6 in 2 seconds...as for the variable wings, I would suggest another setting, one that allows the wings to be 100% extended (open) with flaps UP, then the next setting (or settings depending on what you want) should involve the flaps extending...would make it a bit more realistic since when I travel at less then mach speeds I would like to have the wings full open with flaps UP and not extended kinda thing...(I hope this makes sense to you) its kinda like the F-14 tomcat...

when you tested the aircraft you would have noticed that the flaps already control the variable wings. The tricky part is to incorporate the flap settings with the wing gometry/performance.
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby Thud » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:34 am

About those swing wings, I can't get them to work.  :-?
Windows Vista (32bit)
Thud
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:50 am

[quote]About those swing wings, I can't get them to work.
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby Thud » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:22 am

Oh, I tried it with F5-F8 just now, it works fine, I usually use F6-F7.
:P
Windows Vista (32bit)
Thud
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:10 am

Oh, I tried it with F5-F8 just now, it works fine, I usually use F6-F7.
:P

I noticed that there is a certain range that the flaps (swing wings) dont animate. If wings are full forward, and you press F6, it does not animate, but when you press it several times, it works. I will have a look into that. Thanks for letting me know!
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby jaime » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:44 pm

when you tested the aircraft you would have noticed that the flaps already control the variable wings. The tricky part is to incorporate the flap settings with the wing gometry/performance.

hmmmm...ok...but do you have any plan to set it up so someone could have the flaps all the way up (stowed) with the wings full open, or both (I know it may be tricky but I think it would make it more realistic since most swing wings out there can have the wings full open with flaps up)

Oh and I have been using the plane with FSX and its been nothing but more or less smooth working, except for a few very minor things which I shouldn't have an issue correcting...IE camera possition in flight deck (behind the seat...) 8-) :o
Last edited by jaime on Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:55 am

hmmmm...ok...but do you have any plan to set it up so someone could have the flaps all the way up (stowed) with the wings full open, or both (I know it may be tricky but I think it would make it more realistic since most swing wings out there can have the wings full open with flaps up)

Yes,
When full flaps, just select three notches back (3x F6), you should have wings forward without flaps.
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby jaime » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:34 pm

tried that and the wings only go full open with flaps down :( I can do one notch back and that usually is ok for me at this time but I hope in the future they will have the ability to go full open with out flaps...but I love the plane and have a nice flight each day with it :) hope you will continue working on it...oh and I do have a NASA paint scheme on it also :) looks awesome!
Last edited by jaime on Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design