Little help with speed

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Little help with speed

Postby JakesF14 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:53 am

The JBizz is going on very well! I am on that point where I need to work on the cfg file to actually get this lady to pick up her feet and go supersonic  :-) Now a little help is needed: what in the CFG and/or air file control the speed. I know it is a number of things, such as engine thriust ect. My immediate problem is that the aircraft perform good, but I get the overspeed warning and the aircraft shakes with high speed - not even MACH 1 . I need to take it step by step. My first step is to get rid of the overspeed warning and the shaking.
Someone that can help perhaps?
JakesF14
Major
Major

Re: Little help with speed

Postby ShaneG_old » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:01 am

Do you have this link yet?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526949.aspx

That page completely breaks down and describes each section & it's function in the aircraft.cfg file.

Very handy.
Last edited by ShaneG_old on Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShaneG_old
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JakesF14 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:26 am

[quote]Do you have this link yet?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526949.aspx

That page completely breaks down and describes each section & it's function in the aircraft.cfg file.

Very handy.
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby jaime » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:13 pm

ive already gotten the warnings to wait longer, and if you want I could take what you have current and work in my adjustments and see what happens for that, I also got two custom paint schemes done up that need some minor fine tuning also...and other then that its really shaping up to be a great plane!

@Shane: I used the engine specs more of what an F-4 would use (i think I went more along the lines of the J series) since the F-4 phantom used the same type of engines that I think the Jbiz jet is supposedly using....least that's from my understanding and also based on the way the engine pieces are modeled...

@Jakes: I did adjust one of my textures so that way each part is labeled (I can send you the plane with the texture so you can see what i'm talking about or a screen shot if that helps) the tail does need to be remapped so the left side is mapped to the correct image since it is mapped to the same image as the right side, just so you know. I may need to show you a picture since its a bit hard to fully explain...but other then that it is really turning out to be a great plane to fly!

Oh and how does Mach 1.16 sound as full speed cruise? (throttles fire walled)

the Proof that its red lining at 1.16 at full throttle...now I just need to fine tune the stall out speeds and that should get the plane in order...and what speed are you looking to "over speed" at? I have it set to "over speed" at 900.0 KIAS as of the screen shot (second test at 50,000 AGL) and its holding right around the speed indicated in the shot also...level...

Last edited by jaime on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
one of the starters of the burner pandemic
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:06 am

Thank you Jaime, Some bad news (for you) Ive changed a bit on the mapping of the textures already, and there is a lot of improvements, like landing lights added, ect. Also the scale is increased, as the fuselage was a bit too small for a business jet - the door hardly was realistic. So your repaints have to be ajusted :-(

My aim is to achieve Mach 1.6 cruising speed. I'v only started to play around with the CFG, but now all my my mountains of work has dissapeared, and I have more time on hand to work on the JBizz  :-) If you manage to achieve Mach 1.6, will you send me the CFG file please? My aim is to relase an updated BETA model as soon as the CFG is sorted out  :-)

see here for more updated news
Last edited by JakesF14 on Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby jaime » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:29 pm

[quote]Thank you Jaime, Some bad news (for you) Ive changed a bit on the mapping of the textures already, and there is a lot of improvements, like landing lights added, ect. Also the scale is increased, as the fuselage was a bit too small for a business jet - the door hardly was realistic. So your repaints have to be ajusted :-(

My aim is to achieve Mach 1.6 cruising speed. I'v only started to play around with the CFG, but now all my my mountains of work has dissapeared, and I have more time on hand to work on the JBizz
Last edited by jaime on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:44 am

Thanks, Jaime. The CFG you worked on will not entirely work, as I've worked on the contact points, MOI aerodynamics and so on. thus only your engine specs will work mostly. I've also adjusted the engine positions on the CFG.

Thank you for the assistance. I would like to see the CFG if you could? you can email the CGF to jdsarc@gmail.com

Thanks

Jakes
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby jaime » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:26 am

ok, thats what I had a feeling happened, should make for a fun plane, expect the CFG with in the next day or so just so you know, gonna do a last minute fine tune and it should be headin up to ya :D
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:30 am

ok, thats what I had a feeling happened, should make for a fun plane, expect the CFG with in the next day or so just so you know, gonna do a last minute fine tune and it should be headin up to ya :D

Cool! at the moment mine is also working good, but last night with a test, with the landing, I touched down, and keeped the nose in the air for as long as possible. The nose only touched down at 74 knots  :-) a bit too unreal. But I think it is because of the extra set of flaps i've added to help with the swing wing performance.
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby JoBee » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:42 pm

As a casual observer I would like to comment it is fun to watch you folks work through this whole process. Looks like a great learning experience.

...she can hold M1.10 -1.12 at 50,000ft AGL...so I would guess this meets your requirements of M1.6 cruise?

Mach 1.10-1.12 is Mach 1.10-1.12 regardless of altitude and therefore not =M1.6

If my understanding of Mach is correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach_number

cheers,
Joe
Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Postby jaime » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:04 pm

i ment M1.06 cruise my bad...if were looking for 1.60 mach we may need to refine the engin tuning more, but we are at least on a start in the right direction for m1.06 cruise

Some stats of the plane as is: (note these may and WILL change with out warning) and are current as of testing on 12/09/2009 at 16:13:00

Service ceiling: 50,000 cruise
Max speed: 600 Knots (estimated)
Cruise: Mach 1.06
Max Mach: 1.16 (full throttle @ 50,000) [not recommended to exceed M1.10]

Max service ceiling: 60,000

stall (flaps up/wings in cruise mode): 102.0KIAS
stall full flaps/winds open 82KIAS

by setting it up like that its going to force the pilot to land around 85 - 100KIAS hopefully making it a bit more realistic...(I hope)...but as this plane is still beta and in prototype stages things are bound to change on this...stats are NOT finial...oh and message sent, check your inbox jakes, oyu should have a nice present waiting for ya involving our flying master piece were all working on :)

now only if I could get a work (properly) mach gauge that would work correctly...oye!

oh at this time it tops out at or near M1.16, but for a business jet like this that should suffice for now, since I can run from KSDF to KEDW (louisville stanford field to edwards AFB in nevada) and make the trip in about 2 hours (two hour less then the standard jets which take around 4 to 4.5 hours) so the tuning still is going on but the current set up should move this in the right direction you want, I didnt mess with the existing engine settings (thrust and power and all that fun stuff) since I didn't know what you had in store for that stuff and didn't want to make adjustments incase you had updated them already, once the newer version comes out if you need me to ill dive into that stuff if you haven't already...

and you also may notice a bunch of "shokwave lights" enteries, thoes are for the lights I have for my sim, you can comment them out if you want (or remove them) your call
Last edited by jaime on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:34 am

JoBee, It is fun indeed. hard work, but fun to see the results. And all is done with the help of the SimV crew!

you can have a look at the progress here

Jaime, thanks, Ive worked a lot on the CFG since, and the resilt is surprising. Will have a new beta model ready early next week  :-)
JakesF14
Major
Major

Postby jaime » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:26 pm

Sweetness, cant wait to get my hands on it and to start working on my paints (which you have two of I think on the one i sent to you)been holding off working on it more due to the fact your about to put up another newer version so I want to get my hands on that befure continueing my tuning of it...jaja :)
jaime
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Dickert » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:59 am

Hey Jake, where are you at with the speed thing now?  Have you done an accurate measurement of the intake area?  The frontal drag of jet engines is actually quite large and if you have that spec set too high in the CFG, it is like having the brakes on.  For example, I had my intake area too big by .5 sq/ft.  Reducing it that amount took my speed from Mach 1.7 to 1.8!  You could find a lot of speed here
Dickert
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JakesF14 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:53 am

[quote]Hey Jake, where are you at with the speed thing now?
JakesF14
Major
Major

Next

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design