Another 3d software package for aircraft designers

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Another 3d software package for aircraft designers

Postby X_eidos2 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:45 pm

Has anyone heard or seen anything about this 3d program called 3d-Canvas?

The base program is free. There are additional upgrades for $40 and $70 . The upgrades provide additional features, depending on what kind of 3d work you want to do. It caught my attention because it advertises that it can export it's meshes for both MS Train and Flight Simulator.

Here's the url

http://www.amabilis.com/products.htm

Just curious if anyone has tried this program and if it should be put on a list of alternate programs to try if a person doesn't like gmax.
X_eidos2
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Another 3d software package for aircraft desig

Postby Katahu » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:21 pm

Looks awsome.

But I see that it get expensive once you decide to upgrade that program.

I would say that it will make a nice alternative for 3D model of all kinds.

Here is a list of 3D modeling programs that I now know.

1. FSDS
2. GMAX
3. 3D-Canvas
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Another 3d software package for aircraft desig

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:40 pm

I have the free version of 3D Canvas ...  of course, it can't export to dxf/3ds so by itself it's not flightsim friendly.  I can't determine whether the "export" to FS is via x file export and makemdl or maybe a plugin to export to FS2000...?

As for modelling programs, there are a number of affordable programs out there.  Many companies are putting out free or very reasonably priced versions of their high end modelling programs.  watch for magazines like Computer Arts/3dWorld Magazine that inlcude not only demos but full programs at times.. I've picked up  TGS Amapi 3D 5.5w, Caligari trueSpace 3.5 this way.

Blender Publisher - originally for Linux (so it has a weird interface) is free.

Caligari offered tS4 upgrade for $79 ... consider that TS6 is several hundred.

THe "problem" with some of these programs is that documentation isn't as readily available as it is for the 3DS/gmax field - If Maya or Rhino would come out with a free or even cheap (less than $80) older version, that could still export to x file, then that would add more to the mix.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design