'flight' dynamics

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

'flight' dynamics

Postby wopkins » Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:01 pm

i have created a ferrari f50 for fs.  it is a good visual model and i working on the panel, but i cannot get the 'flight' dynamics to work right.

is there anybody who is good at making flight models to create semi-accurate one for this ferrari?  i want it to turn and accelerate realistically, and NOT take off.  a single turbine seems to be the best choice for that.

please reply or email me at wopkins@hotmail.com and I will supply you with the specs you need to create this
wopkins
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: 'flight' dynamics

Postby Felix/FFDS » Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:41 pm

A good starting point is a Jaguar XK-120 that was made some time ago... handles good, etc, and doesn't "fly".

Do a search, beacuse I don't remember where I downloaded it from....
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Katahu » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:32 pm

Can you post some screenshots of your visual model?

I was also working on a car model as well. Instead of using a simple box to make the body of the cars I make, I now use Splines (I use GMAX v1.2) so that the surface can come out more realistically and better.

If you use GMAX as well, then you'll be surprised on what you can do with them and how flexible you can be when you utilize every aspect of the design feature.

Good luck on your Ferrari.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Oz » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:52 pm

Ive tried countless times to make a gmax sports car, but had no apparent success  :-[  Cant wait to see your Ferrari wopkins. (Hope you can make a DVC for it..)
Oz
Captain
Captain

Postby wopkins » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:51 pm

screenshots below
Last edited by wopkins on Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wopkins
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Oz » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:58 pm

We cant see the pics wopkins, you must have added them to the post incorrectly
Oz
Captain
Captain

Postby Hagar » Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:26 pm

Here's your shots wopkins. Please remember the path is case sensitive, including the file extension. A common cause of images not showing is that some image editors save JPEG files as .JPG not .jpg. Nice work. BTW ;)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Oz » Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:33 pm

Wow, that ferrari looks amazing! good job wopkins
Oz
Captain
Captain

Postby IanK » Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:39 am

Hello Wopkins,

go to:
Air File Editors
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hsors/FS_Soft/fsairfile.html

Air File Board, post March 2003
http://www.avhistory.org/scripts/MegaBBS/logon.asp

Ian
IanK
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:23 pm

Great work! & along the ideas I love! I've been toying with a Bentley Azure myself...

Won't be too long - I hope at least - before the main drawback of FS - Groundtextures - is the next major leap forward & we can drive on ROADS!! :)

The reason I ever got into this is in a big way is my fantasy I saw in FS2 - the possibility of a virtual world - not Just flight sim. Once we have a method of achieving this - we can have DS - driving simulation & virtual travel - all based in the virtual globe evolving here ... (well .. this is my optimism! ;) )

I can easily see varying cars being created & AI road traffic soon ... it's just so exciting!!!

In case you didn't find it - Bill Lyons' (pretty sure it's Bill Lyons..) Jag is here
http://www.simviation.com/fs2002misc4.htm

GREAT WORK!
Last edited by pete on Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wopkins » Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:52 pm

the problem with the jag is that the p-factor of the propellor makes it hard to drive straight
wopkins
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Oz » Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:08 pm

yeah, with the jag you need to turn with the rudder and it is a bit complicated (i got that sidewinder with twist action, so i can use the ailerons and rudder to move) There must be a way to use the ailerons though since most people rarely use the rudder in their flying
Oz
Captain
Captain

Postby Hagar » Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:46 pm

the problem with the jag is that the p-factor of the propellor makes it hard to drive straight

I'm no great shakes with FD editing. If you open the AIR file with AirEd there's a parameter in Section  1101 Primary Aerodynamics named "Yaw Moment - Prop Effect on Rudder". You could try changing the value to 0 & see what happens. Take a backup copy of the AIR file before editing it. Alternatively, set the Realism to Easy from FS2002 Settings. This should cancel out the prop effects.

with the jag you need to turn with the rudder and it is a bit complicated (i got that sidewinder with twist action, so i can use the ailerons and rudder to move) There must be a way to use the ailerons though since most people rarely use the rudder in their flying

Personally I would have no problem using the rudder. To use the more conventional aileron control for steering cars try checking the Autorudder option in FS2002/Settings/Realism Settings.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design