Gmax texturing problem

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Gmax texturing problem

Postby Erez » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:59 am

Hey
As some of you know me, I always try to take the short way of everything. I found a very cool, nice and helping tutorial just for that, on texturing.
I followed the tutorial while trying it on the Lavi. Truth is, nothing happened, and I did it 3 times. I downloaded  a sample file of the same model that was used there, tried it an it worked like magic. This model was made in FSDS and then converted to Gmax. my model is an original Gmax model, not FSDS, but that doesn't seems to be the problem. anyway, here is the tutorial. I did everything writen there and nothing happened. please help me to find out why :(

http://airspace.uhk.cz/mlk/msfs/tutoria ... _01.html#1
Erez
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Gmax texturing problem

Postby Hagar » Thu Apr 03, 2003 2:50 am

Erez. It's not clear from your question if your texture problem is in Gmax or the sim. To narrow it down try assigning some existing textures to your model. If that works the problem is the textures.

I can't help with Gmax but if they don't display in the sim make sure the textures are in the correct size & format. As a repainter you already know about FS texture formats. Aircraft textures are commonly square, usually 256 x 256, 512 x 512 or 1024 x 1024. They should be either 8 bit BMP or one of the special 16 bit Extended BMP texture formats. Also, use texture file names without any spaces. This is a common cause of textures not displaying.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Erez » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:33 am

Thanks Hagar. :)
I'm talking about my Lavi model here. It's still at Gmax. the textures are not the problem, as I tried applying them on the sample file I downloaded and it worked out fine.
The texture I'm trying to put is only temporary, just to see how the is close to the real thing with paint.
It's very weird actually..... I'll try to find further help. thanks anyway.
here's what I want to apply:

Erez
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:09 am

Apart from the basics I have no knowledge of Gmax. Being used to the traditional FS design tools I find it overcomplicated & difficult to understand. I did try some simple test pieces before FSDS2 was released with some success. I suspect your problem lies in the UVW mapping. The parts have to be configured to accept texturing before they will display.

PS. I'm a great believer in using test pieces to experiment with any new process. It's much easier & quicker to find out how it's done by following a tute based on a simple object. It always surprises me how many would-be designers leave it until their project is complete before learning the essentials of animation & texturing or exporting it to the sim.
Last edited by Hagar on Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design