Making Window FSDS

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Making Window FSDS

Postby MC_iNsTiNcT » Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:10 am

Yo guys,
Last edited by MC_iNsTiNcT on Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MC_iNsTiNcT
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Making Window FSDS

Postby SilverFox441 » Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:27 am

Have you checked out the tutorials available at: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/tutorials.html ?

A great site for a modeller learning the ropes.

You can also find some good info at: http://www.simviation.com/fsdutilsdesntute1.htm

Have fun. :)

Once you get past the early hair-pulling stage building planes is a blast.
SilverFox441

Postby MC_iNsTiNcT » Sat Mar 22, 2003 8:58 am

Thx for that, i'll check em out now......and i'm also reading the GMAX tutorial........might give that a whirl.

Thx Again  ;D
MC_iNsTiNcT
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:03 pm

Hi Mc in...

This is somehting I have looked into pretty extensively & if you do a search on this forum you will find many posts on making windows & round windows using FSDS.

I suggest you don't immediately turn to GMax if you've been OK with FSDS. I fear it may be the final straw ;)

I suggest you persist with FSDS.

Irf you don't find what you need please come back. I have made windows of every variety - round, oval, square with round corners & curved in every direction :)

It can be done & it's mainly a question of pre planning when making your tube (fuselage) in the 1st place & not moving the points but the cross sections. Then cutting out accordingly.

Like I say - get back with specifics after doing a search here.

good luck :)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JohnP » Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:38 pm

:)Pete,
Last edited by JohnP on Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnP
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:10 pm

Hi John - I know what you mean about cockpit areas - as you are dealing with compressed & sometimes rotated cross sections.....

But here is a VERY brief method is use as a base for making round windows. The key I have learned is to use few cross sections - & add as you progress....

This is the easy one - a rounded passenger window ;)

FiG 1. The Obvious: Starting with the 32 sided tube.

FiG 2. In Cross Section Mode - In Side View - Go to the cross section which will be the CENTRE of the window. In Front View - Press the X symetry button & move points as shown to group towards the top & bottom of the window.

FiG 3. In Side View - Constrain X & Y & move the Cross Sections either side of the centre cross section in as shown.

FiG 4. Go to Centre Cross section again & click Insert Cross Section. With X & Y constrained - move this new cross section back towards the rear of the window.

FiG 5. Continue to make new Cross Sections from the centre & move back until you see the round shape taking effect.

FiG 6. Repeat the same procedure on the other side of your 'window' - though obviously creating the new cross sections from the forward edge.

FiG 7. Once the shape is as required go to Point Mode.
IMPORTANT: Do not remove points until you are happy with your shape. It's best to sav e your project as New Projects as you proceed. For Instance 'apache1.fsc, apache2.fsc,....etc...)

Click the Mouse Select button & select the points in stages & press Delete. Watch you progress in the top right window.

FiG 8. One simple round window.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby JohnP » Tue Mar 25, 2003 1:45 pm

:)Thanks for your reply. I will try it out. I like the technique that you are using, I haven't tried that one yet.
                                                            John
JohnP
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ICE/GfORCE Team » Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:52 pm

WOW WOW WOW, I like this, Pete showing that he isn't just a great person, great webmaster and many other things...he is now showing how much he knows about modeling and also teaching like a real good tutorial would do, step by step...awesome Pete, but....I could had asked that 1 year ago, when I was still using FSDS and didn't knew how to make windows that way...

well...hope your project turns out right MC
[link=http://www.simviation.com/gforceteam/index.html]Image[/link]
Athlon XP 1600+, 512 ram(soon 768 ram or 1 Gram), Geforce 2 mx400 64Mb AGP2X(soon Geforce 4 mx440 64Mb AGP 4X) and Maxtor 720
ICE/GfORCE Team
Captain
Captain

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design