Virtual Cockpit

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Virtual Cockpit

Postby HABU » Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:27 pm

I have created an aircraft external model and I'm working on the virtual cocpit as a seperate model - am I doing the right thing creating a seperate model for the VC?

Also when making a multi res model what is the best way to do this - my fueslage has about (if my memory serves me) 25 points - do I need to create more fueslages or just remove more complex parts the further away the project is viewed?
HABU
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Virtual Cockpit

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:34 pm

You are right in making a separate model for the VC.  I don't recall which program you're using, but the principle is the same.

Basically, your VC should consist of those parts that are visible from the cockpit - for example, in a typcial modern airliner, you would include the wings, podded engines, fuselage inside... but not those parts you would NOT see - landing gear, rear fuselage, empennage, etc, then you could go further and delete the polygons you wouldn't see - undersides of wings "opposite" sides of nacelles, etc.

In gmax, you would take these and group them as in an "interior" group.  In FSDS2, you copy and paste into a new model "page"...

As to a multi-res model, your "closer" models may be your basic model with small parts removed, including landing gear, etc., and the "farther" away you go, the models can be basic primitives - enough to give the basic shape.

For example, if I were building a new Grumman Gulfstream I, I would probably use an existing afx source file as the base for an LOD - I get the basic shape, but I don't need the details...  Your lowest resolution model can be as simple as two triangles ..

Basically, use a combination of "removing parts" and quick and simple new models.

Hope this helps
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby HABU » Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:53 pm

Thanks Felix, I forgot to mention I'm using FSDS2!

I figured I was on the right track but there doesn't appear to be too many tutorials that tell you how it is in a basic way for us non 3d programmers to understand!!!

I can't wait to release this but it need some work doing on making it multiplayer and AI friendly together with the virtual cockpit....

Thanks.
HABU
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Guruswarmyoz » Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:18 pm

With FSDS2 VC I pretty well finish the external model before i start on the VC.
1) To start the VC, click on Model in the menu
2) From the drop down menu, select ADD MODEL
3) Name the model as VC and check the box that says "Virtual Cockpit"
4) Then (providing you have saved all your parts from the external model) what you do is add the parts to the VC model in order and only add the parts that you think will be visible from the cockpit.
5) As a tip, i would keep the number of parts to a minimum to help with frame rates.
6) For any VC that i make, i have only the internal fuselage structures showing (inc all levers, Yokes & pedals), i face the window polys inwards and cut down the fuselage structure so that only bits (such as the top of the nose cowling) that you'd expect to see are visible.
Guruswarmyoz
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design