Wings blend to fuselage please look

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Wings blend to fuselage please look

Postby Erez » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:57 am

Erez
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Wings blend to fuselage please look

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:46 pm

one way is that gmax has a "connect" feature that allows you to connect nearby objects.

There is a TIP at Freeflight Design Shop that covers this point.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Erez » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:21 am

ammm....
Is that the tip?
http://www.freeflightdesign.com/tips/gm ... illets.htm

Because I didn't understand a word of it ???
Erez
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Rick Sasala » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:10 am

The best way is to do a Boolean with the wings and fuselage. Then after you tidy-up the boolean, attach the wings and fuselage. Then weld all the vertex's of the  parts and it will look as one....Rick
Rick Sasala

Postby Erez » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:41 am

RIGHT.........
And where is that boolean command button?
Erez
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Felix/FFDS » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:50 am

You get the boolean operations from the create tab, compound objects.  You'll want to perform a "Union" operation.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rick Sasala » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:03 am

If you don't know where the boolean command is or how it's used, you need to do some reading...Rick
Rick Sasala

Postby Erez » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:54 am

If you don't know where the boolean command is or how it's used, you need to do some reading...Rick  

Thanks for the encouragement Rick ;)... Reading is the last thing I need right now. I have been reading and still does plenty tutorials.
Thanks Felix, but I got a minor problem that I'm sure you know how to fix because you know Gmax as the palm of your hand. When I was trying to see and apply your help, I pressed on the side tab (where the create tab and other tabs) and it disappeared and I have no idea how to get him back. thanks again I was pretty stuck but I think I will be able to take from here :D
Erez
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Rick Sasala » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:08 pm

I could spend hours explaining the many different ways of making those two parts look as one. But if you don't know the basics, how in the hell are you gonna understand the advanced stuff?....Rick
Rick Sasala

Postby Erez » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:24 pm

Hey I'm doing my best >:(
Beside, that's the all problem. I don't have that much time to learn something that won't actually help me in real life. It's fun and all and I'm designing a plane that I really like but It's just a small hobby for me. and I got to start from something. I think that I'm doing fine until now.
Erez
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Felix/FFDS » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:36 pm

Keyboard "3"  key toggles the hide/unhide the command panel.  (Help->Index-?Default keyboard Shortcuts")

Rick does have a point.  The recent questions have been on the "basics"  As some people realize and know, I am NO expert (more like apprentice amateur) in gmax.  However - I read the forums, and can use the help feature in gmax.

It is imperative, especially in a program like gmax, to go through all the tutorials that come with the program.

Thanks for the encouragement Rick ;)... Reading is the last thing I need right now. I have been reading and still does plenty tutorials.
Thanks Felix, but I got a minor problem that I'm sure you know how to fix because you know Gmax as the palm of your hand. When I was trying to see and apply your help, I pressed on the side tab (where the create tab and other tabs) and it disappeared and I have no idea how to get him back. thanks again I was pretty stuck but I think I will be able to take from here :D
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Erez » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:35 pm

Yeah I know that's ARE basic questions.
U know what the problem is? the best tutorial I know is Hugh Shoults's, there are some other but the Stupid Idiot is the best. But they all have a real big problem. they are working on kind of planes that I don't wan't to design, old combat planes. A good tutorial on combat fighters IMHO has to be about the F-16, a common and varsible plane that uses technologies that most of the fighters have.
Erez
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:57 pm

Hey, settle down Erez. You are such a serious & earnest young man. LOL
Felix & Rick are trying to help you so don't start shouting the odds. I doubt either has ever designed an F-16 in Gmax & you will be waiting for a very long time for anyone who has to write a tute on doing it.

The point here is that the wing joint will be exactly the same on most aircraft, whether they be "old combat planes" or F-16s. Learn the basics & you might understand what they're trying to tell you.

Now please don't start shouting at me.
Last edited by Hagar on Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:06 pm

One thing about "how to" tutorials is that you won't satisfy everyone.

However, an "older" combat plane has propellers - or turbine disks - you still have the "blended wing/fuse fillet"  The BASICS are there.  Specifics, like spoilerons, elevons, etc., well some had them ... heck, planes like the Fairey Flycatcher had full span ailerons on both wings that could be drooped to serve like flaps ... voil
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby X_eidos2 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:50 pm

If you want to have a smooth blending wing joint with the fuselage there are two things to remember.

Make the fuselage and wing all from the same piece. Create a cylinder. Make it the length of the fuselage. Divide it into many sections. Select the polygons on the side that are close to where the wings should be. Extrude these polygons a few times and you'll have the raw material for forming the wings. Then it's just a matter of pushing and pulling the vertices around until things look right. (Easier said than done  ;))The reason you want everything to be one piece is so that the smooth modifier will work on it.

You could make the parts separately - but then you's have to join them together in such a way so that all the vertices are welded together or are all part of the same object. Smooth will only work on one object at a time.

Do not have the wing go through the sides of the fuselage. Any time you have a polygon passing through the side of another polygon, you're going to get a jagged, stair-stepped edge when you see the mesh in a flight sim. The software isn't smart enough to accurately determine where the edge between the two polygons should be.

I've been modeling aircraft on computers as a professional modeler since 1995. Getting a good, smooth wing fillet is one of the hardest things to do. One reason is that most three-views have this area covered up with engines and other parts of the wing and it's hard to figure out exactly how things go.

Good luck with your project.
X_eidos2
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design