From FSDS to GMAX

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

From FSDS to GMAX

Postby Katahu » Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:33 pm

Wasup guys. It's been a hell of a long time since I last visted this part of the forums. Well, guess what. I'm back.

Anyways, I need some technical help.

I only have GMAX v1.2 and all but one of the designs in the Adopt a Design page (the skyracer is my design) are only made in FSDS.

How do you import FSDS files to GMAX? Is there a plugin other than that CVA (can't remember the letter well) file I tried to D/L from simviation?

If it's not here, then at least try to provide a link to it's location.

Long ago, there was a lot of talk about people who successfully import FSDS files to GMAX.

Remember, I only have GMAX v1.2. I don't want to spend money on FSDS.

Please help.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: From FSDS to GMAX

Postby Felix/FFDS » Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:42 pm

Since you don't have FSDS1 (the plugins don't work with FSDS2), your only alternative is to get someone to do the conversion for you ...  Having said that, which one do you want converted?

Wasup guys. It's been a hell of a long time since I last visted this part of the forums. Well, guess what. I'm back.

Anyways, I need some technical help.

I only have GMAX v1.2 and all but one of the designs in the Adopt a Design page (the skyracer is my design) are only made in FSDS.

How do you import FSDS files to GMAX? Is there a plugin other than that CVA (can't remember the letter well) file I tried to D/L from simviation?

If it's not here, then at least try to provide a link to it's location.

Long ago, there was a lot of talk about people who successfully import FSDS files to GMAX.

Remember, I only have GMAX v1.2. I don't want to spend money on FSDS.

Please help.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Katahu » Sun Mar 16, 2003 11:57 pm

Finally, I get help (and from a well-known person too).

My tiny list (since I don't know what you have).

JSF (joint strike fighter)
1 cessna (any kind)
Any aircraft from the Adopt a Design page.

You can choose any one of these options.

Man, this sucks for me. I really don't like to bother people when it comes to converting files like these, but oh well.

Thanks for the help anyways. I really appreciate it.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:41 am

Haven't seen a Cessna or JSF FSDS source file - there are older AF99 AFX files, I can convert at Freeflight Design Shop (http://www.freeflightdesign.com)

Do you want to experiment with the files or build a specific one?  There are a number of gmax source files at FFDS - and I'm getting ready to upload tonight Rick Sasala's Gulfstream G-IV in cargo and passenger versions...

Finally, I get help (and from a well-known person too).

My tiny list (since I don't know what you have).

JSF (joint strike fighter)
1 cessna (any kind)
Any aircraft from the Adopt a Design page.

You can choose any one of these options.

Man, this sucks for me. I really don't like to bother people when it comes to converting files like these, but oh well.

Thanks for the help anyways. I really appreciate it.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Brett_Henderson » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:21 pm

While on topic (to avoid starting another thread)...

Given models of equal complexity and detail, is either GMAX or FSDS (or any other) better in terms of frame rates ?
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:38 pm

While on topic (to avoid starting another thread)...

Given models of equal complexity and detail, is either GMAX or FSDS (or any other) better in terms of frame rates ?

Brett, I would say there's no appreciable difference between a similar Gmax or FSDS2 visual model. This would if depend if one was multi-LOD. A multi-res model can improve frame rates dramatically which seems much overlooked in FS.
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Katahu » Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:55 pm

Well Felix.

I want to experiment with them so that I can see how good modelers create there aircraft. For example: how they use the tubes, splines, boxes, cones, etc.

I want to overcome some obsticles when it comes to modeling aircraft. So far, I have mastered the Spline feature of GMAX and have utilized it.

I once download a set of FSDS files that were converted for GMAX, but they were not the designs I was looking for. I'll look harder this time.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Felix/FFDS » Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:24 pm

I will recommend any of the gmax models from the gmax library at FFDS -  You'll enjoy Rick Sasala's Grumman C-2A Greyhound - the wing animation alone is entertaining to watch!

Then there are the Greg Pepper Convair and Beech 18 models.

Well Felix.

I want to experiment with them so that I can see how good modelers create there aircraft. For example: how they use the tubes, splines, boxes, cones, etc.

I want to overcome some obsticles when it comes to modeling aircraft. So far, I have mastered the Spline feature of GMAX and have utilized it.

I once download a set of FSDS files that were converted for GMAX, but they were not the designs I was looking for. I'll look harder this time.
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Katahu » Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:26 pm

Thanks man for the suggestion. I'll give it a try.
Katahu
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design