Why on Earth can't I fix this?

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Why on Earth can't I fix this?

Postby RIC_BARKER » Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:54 am

Hi guys,

I really need your help. After tying for weeks now (really) I just can't make my night textures work in FSDS2/FS2002. I have tried it all the ways I can think of, but it won't work.

I'll give you a rundown of what I know so far:

1. Create my tube (fuselage)
2. Apply texture (Fuseright_T.bmp) This is a DXT3 bmp, with an alpha channel for reflectivity.
3. Apply texture (Fuseright_L.bmp) This is also a DXT3 bmp, with an alpha for the light "holes".

Now then, it looks great during the day, but as soon as I switch my lights on, the whole thing becomes semi-transparent.

Any ideas?
Any tutorials?
Am I missing something?
Am I stupid?

Help!!!!!!!! Pweeeeeeeese!

Ric B.
RIC_BARKER
Captain
Captain

Re: Why on Earth can't I fix this?

Postby JohnP » Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:30 am

:)I have seen your posts before, therefore I am assuming that you are using FSDS 2.11, with the latest updates.  If you look at the FSDS tutorials there is a fairly good explanation in the :
How Materials and Textures Interact(TITLE).
 I am curious to see how you make out, since I work with this program, but have not quite gotten to advanced texturing.
 Hope this helps. :)
JohnP
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby RIC_BARKER » Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:58 am

Hi John,

Yeah, I read the tutorial several times over, but I still can't get it to work. I can only presume I'm doing something wrong, and I just keep missing it?

Once I fix it, I'll let you all know how I did it, maybe a tutorial is in order?

Keep then comin'......
RIC_BARKER
Captain
Captain

Postby JohnP » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:20 pm

:)Hi! Ric
   After doing a little research I found a site which is run by Dave Eckerd(Daviator), who was one of the beta testers on FSDS 2.0. I have put the link in for your convenience:
 http://www.daviator.com/
There is a design forum on this site with some questions and answers regarding the issue you are referring to.
Hope this helps.
                 John
JohnP
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby RIC_BARKER » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:44 pm

Thanks John!

:D
RIC_BARKER
Captain
Captain

Postby Felix/FFDS » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:21 pm

Or check the Freeflight Design Shop's forum  on the thread:

Re: Reflective but going semi transparent at night???

Posted by Tom Gibson/FFDS on Friday, 21 February 2003, at 3:58 p.m., in response to Re: Reflective but going semi transparent at night???, posted by Dennis S on Friday, 21 February 2003, at 3:50 p.m.

Sure, I remember. It's pretty simple - if you don't want lighting, then don't tick Has Lightmap. If you do, then tick Has Lightmap and make sure you include lightmaps (textures ending in _L) for each texture that has a ReflectMap (textures ending in _t).

Hope this helps,

Tom
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby RIC_BARKER » Mon Feb 24, 2003 6:40 pm

Hi Felix,

Seems there may be some confusion here on my part, let me explain:

I've tried the tutorials/forums before, and never had much luck, as I did as they say.

Anyways, after I deleted the "_T" extension, and updated my texture assignment to show that, it all works fine (although the lights are on all the time, regardless of actualy light switch position)

Does this mean FSDS2.0 does not use the "_T" for reflect/"_L" Lightmap/alpha method.

Is the "_T" just a GMax thing then? and FSDS does not require this?

This appears to be where I went wrong.

PS, please excuse the poorly written reply, I've just got back from the pub........ ::)
RIC_BARKER
Captain
Captain

Postby RIC_BARKER » Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:43 pm

Ok, I kinda fixed it....

As you can read above, but that is as far as I got. My lights are on all the time for some reason.

Is this to do with the way the Alpha channels are set in the "_L" texures? I always thought it was White for landing lights, and black for running lights (windows and stuff) The alpha however seems to make no difference. Any ideas?
RIC_BARKER
Captain
Captain

Postby Felix/FFDS » Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:31 pm

In your part names for the lights, did you set the pre-process to nav switch on or similar?

F

Ok, I kinda fixed it....

As you can read above, but that is as far as I got. My lights are on all the time for some reason.

Is this to do with the way the Alpha channels are set in the "_L" texures? I always thought it was White for landing lights, and black for running lights (windows and stuff) The alpha however seems to make no difference. Any ideas?
Felix/FFDS
Felix/FFDS
Administrator
Administrator

Postby RIC_BARKER » Wed Feb 26, 2003 11:27 pm

Hi Felix,

No, the only lights that have a pre-process applied are the taxi lights. These only appear between KF's 100 and 200, and when the front gear is down. The landing lights are normal.

Would this make any difference to the way the "light splash" is applied to the fusealage/tail?
RIC_BARKER
Captain
Captain

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design