animating spoilerons  and aerobrakes?

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Re: animating spoilerons

Postby guimero » Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:16 pm

Hi john!!

Sorry I don't understand your last post. What do u mean by saying " with the tag aileron"?

:)
guimero
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JohnP » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:57 am

:)The "tag" means the motion name that is assigned to a part. In your case the airleon is the part name that you would use in fsds 2 to give the part movement. The airleon movement is up and down(+90/-90). The problem that you are using this "tag" for your spoileron. When you turn your plane to the left ,the left spoileron should stay up and the airleon stay up. The right wing's airleon should go down and the spoileron should remain flat, instead of going down into the wing.
Hope that was not to confusing. :)
JohnP
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby guimero » Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:12 am

Ok I see what you mean. But I think I just going to leave it the way it is, I haven't got time to play around with the spoilerons :'(. I have to finish off other things and start looking into the a/c .cfg and .air file.

Thanks anyway.

If anyone manages to get the spoilerons working properly please let me know. :)
guimero
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby RIC_BARKER » Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:39 pm

Guys, the way I did it is this:

In the "keyframe animation" table in FSDS2, there are two entries called "l_spoiler" and "r_spoiler". Just tag your parts as that, and have Keyframe 0 as the "flush" position, and Keyframe 100 and the deployed position.

Compile your aircraft and start up FSedit. Go to the Flight dynamics page and click the "controls" tab. In the bottom right hand corner there is a section called "spoiler".

Check "spoilerons available" and set the max deflection of your spoilers.

Save and close FSedit.

Now located the aircraft.cfg file and open it up in notepad. Under the section marked "Aircraft geometry" there will be some lines like this.

spoiler_limit           = 60.000
    spoilerons_available    = 1
    aileron_to_spoileron_gain = 3.000
    min_ailerons_for_spoilerons = 10.000
    min_flaps_for_spoilerons = 0.000

If not, add them in. The values are self explanatory, except for "aileron to spoileron gain" This basically means (if it's set to 3, as it is here) That if the max up limit of your AILERONS is 20 degrees, then to get a 60 degree deflection in the spoilers, the ratio must be 3:1.

These numbers are a good start, but play around until it looks right for you.

Hope this helps you guys out, any problems or questions, just post them and I'll try to help!

Regards, Ric B.
RIC_BARKER
Captain
Captain

Postby juri » Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:24 am

ric, you took the words out of my mouth (keyboard?), thats the way i've done it.

but there is a problem: what if the plane has two sets of spoilers, and only the outer ones act as spoilerons. the inner ones are "ground" spoilers and should act only when the wheels are on ground, brakes and reverse thrust is beeing  applied...

tricky. any  ideas?
"Persistence and determination are omnipotent." -Calvin Coolidge
juri
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby guimero » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:49 am

That is exactly the problem I have.

Though it is normally the inner the one that act as an spoileron. The outer is a grounded one like you say.

Has anyone have any sugestions for this problem?
guimero
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby juri » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:18 am

i don't know if we see the inner and outer the same way, but i think its the outer (from fuselage) ones that usually act as spoilerons  ???
"Persistence and determination are omnipotent." -Calvin Coolidge
juri
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby RIC_BARKER » Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:16 pm

Hmm, you are right this is tricky!

Faced with that, the way I would do it is to animate the spoilerons as I stated above, but animate the spoilers like this.

Take the ground spoilers and remove all animation tags, (so they are flush to the wing) but set the display condition to "on ground" and "false". These will only show when the main gear is off the ground, and will remain stationary all the time.

Copy and paste these ground spoilers and tag the
Last edited by RIC_BARKER on Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIC_BARKER
Captain
Captain

Postby guimero » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:02 pm

That is what I did earlier on with my spoilers. But the thing is that doing so they will not activate when the "/" is pressed. They will only work whe plane is on ground. And looks a bit weird a plane taxing with the spoilers deployed.  Or perhaps I did somenthing wrong.

Anyway I am running out of time. I have now to edit the air file and cfg file.

:)
guimero
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design