F/A-18 superbug

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

F/A-18 superbug

Postby Barbarian1678 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:37 am

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to convert the F/A18 superbug model from MDL to obj format? this would allow me to then import it into 3ds max 2010 to render nice still shots. I have repeatedly tried using model converter X, but all that ever happens is it imports the model to about the 97% point or so and then just stops. It then just says it is Importing... forever..... any help would be great thanks :)
Barbarian1678
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: F/A-18 superbug

Postby Azframer » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:44 am

It is beyond uncool to do that without permission from the original designers' permission. With freeware, you have limited use unless you get the permission to do otherwise.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:22 am

BS ~ !!!

As long as he is doing it for his own personal use, and enjoyment, he's not hurting anything or anybody.

Now if he's going to upload it to a site that's a different avenue.

I've done all kinds of Tweaks and customizations to aircraft and scenery and other stuff I've got from other aircraft / scenery designers,,,,, for "my own personal enjoyment" and use,,,,

and the best part, I can do it without hurting anybody else or breaking any copyright rules !!!!!!!!!!!

I've tweaked aircraft model files, scenery files, re'painted hundreds of Aircraft of somebody elses, even PAYWARE Aircraft and scenery.

and I did NOT check or attempt to contact anybody about it !!!

So, I changed the paint, on some aircraft, changed or added the reflection textures on a plane, swapped texture files , added or deleted a file on a scenery

The only thing "Un'Cool", is those who instantly & immediately cut down someone else for learning and experimenting, which is just how many of the other developers learned their skills.

Thousands of other flight simmers are always customizing their aircraft, scenery mostly for "their own use & enjoyment" !

Now IF he plans on uploading his whatever , of somebody elses creation, that's a different story .
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:59 pm

I agree with Jetranger on this one. If you pay for it then you own it and any mods for your own personal use should be within the realm of ownership.

Many of the freeware folks don't mind if you modify or even improve their work as long as you give them the credit for the original which I feel is quite generous of them.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Azframer » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:27 am

I am talking about editing models after converting them to 3ds. The original post was talking about grabbing screen captures and that is fine. My comment is more to making changes to a model and then posting it where it can be downloaded, even if it were originally freeware.
Let us say I wanted to make an Advanced Super Hornet and did not want to create the Super Hornet model of my own but just wanted to make changes to Daisuke Yamamoto's model. Before I even thought about converting his model I would try my best to contact Daisuke Yamamoto and ask permission to use his model as a base for the modifications.
People have been taking cockpits from payware and using them for other aircraft for years but that does not change the actual model.
I jumped the gun on the OP after seeing converting the model and having seen designers talking about how their work was being compromised using Model Converter X and people not asking, I can say it strikes a nerve with them. So if you are planning on modifying a model make sure you have permission or exhaust all means trying to contact them, it will go a long way in the end.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design