CAD file to .mdl

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Re: CAD file to .mdl

Postby Anthindelahunt » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:47 pm

Creating a VC is enough to send me back to hospital for a brain
transplant.I think I will follow friend Flacke's idea and have a
lie down.

Anthin. :snooty:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Azframer » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:32 pm

Anthin this is my first model and I can tell you it is not the easiest thing I have stepped into. Right now I have drawn so many parts I can;t get a real count on them all yet. Some I will be able to join to a panel and forget about, ATM not sure what I am going to try to get done with this or exactly what might be asking too much. I have learned a lot in this process, one thing I have learned is why so many just do the models and omit the VC. But I will continue to plug away at it, learn what I can and hope what I learn here will help with the next possible cockpit.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Anthindelahunt » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:52 pm

Good luck Rick.Stick with it as I am sure you will conquer
it.I envy you that you would even attempt this.It is way
beyond me.Maybe if I was a bit younger.

Best regards.

Anthin. :mrgreen:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Azframer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:31 pm

I have the center console divided up in 3 sections, the 3rd section being the busiest of them all is the one I am still working on. Once it is completed I will move on to the section with throttle flaps and trim along with a few others, should be easier as the number of details are lower, smaller area as well. With a step back up in detail in section 1 with two FMC's. I will keep plugging away at it and importing into Blender as I go.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Dave T » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:53 am

Looking good Rick.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Azframer » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:52 pm

I am here to report some bad news on my cockpit. Bad news is that while drawing in CAD in my comfort zone I have found out some things while they looked good, they will not work for the cockpit so well. After having in depth conversation with Hiroshi I will need to tone down the polygon count by a huge amount to make this possible. I had already accumulated over 252,000 polygons and was not quite close to being done yet.
I have been trying to get a handle on GMax because that is what Hiroshi uses....not going to happen right away. He did give me a copy of his GMax PDF that he has been working on. I promised I would not in any way pass this out, please don't ask.
Frustrated over not getting anywhere with GMax I have returned to Blender and started to get somewhere now. GMax has the actual polygon counter, Blender gives you a counter for faces and from what I gathered is going to be pretty close to a polygon count. Details I am leaving off in modeling will be taken up in textures to save polygons. Somehow I have got to keep cockpit down to 140,000 to 150,000 polygons.
I have started in Blender where I was last working in CAD, the largest most busy part of center console. I will betrying to work in as much detail as possible with the restraints I have been handed.
Picture is of a knob I did and one of a now Hiroshi duplicated using texture way, his looks better.

Rick

Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:31 am

Slowly getting it done, trying to knock down the polygon count. I think the reason for so many polygons in CAD is because everything in CAD I had to do a 3D subtract had to be a solid object.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Anthindelahunt » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:23 am

It is starting to look really good Rick.

Anthin. :clap:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Azframer » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Anthindelahunt wrote:It is starting to look really good Rick.

Anthin. :clap:

Thanks, between Krispy's videos and a few others it has helped me a lot figure some things out. Yesterday I backed myself in a corner doing a shift A key over my tools bar on the right side and could not figure out how to get it back, it took me about 45 minutes screwing around with it to finally figure it out.
I am on a huge learning curve right now and having to start over and redo everything has set me back a bit. But I will get back to where I was pretty soon. Faster if it were not election season here in the states with so much craziness going on. ( I don't mean for us to get side tracked on my political beliefs so lets not go there)
I did find this one guy's video while it does not pertain to FSX modeling it sure helped me out a lot on how some things work within Blender.

Rick
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4B2XK9NCeU[/youtube]
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby striker » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:13 pm

Been following this. Looking great and you got to finish it! Maybe make it less complex!
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:39 pm

striker wrote:Been following this. Looking great and you got to finish it! Maybe make it less complex!

Yea it will not be as complex as I had it with CAD, plugging a awy at it.
Took some time off from it for 2 days, I needed to get some flight time in. I ran across a Super Hornet Blue Angel Texture, who ever did the work had to have gotten frustrated with it, I can certainly see why. What a PITA that was trying to get the striping wrapped around the cockpit. I finally got that done and started working on the config file, The plane is too quick to get to overspeed, then it is too hard to get it to slow down, once I get it where it needs to be for a landing it loses lift. If I can get the plane dialed in I'll upload it with all planes including a F model for #7.
But anyhow I got some more buttons done on the real busy part of the center console. I have to take my time and think things out before I do the more complicated stuff trying to keep the polygon count down. Right now I am at 4,472 faces, not as exact as the polygon counter with GMax, I am thinking right around 5,000 polygons now.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Dave T » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:15 am

Just popped in to see how you are getting on with your project and Blender.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Roypcox » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:09 am

Very beautiful , thanks for sharing . homeboy
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:53 pm

Dave T wrote:Just popped in to see how you are getting on with your project and Blender.

I am getting better with Blender as I go, I have learned a lot since I have had to rely solely on Blender. I still have things I am wondering how I would do or going about doing certain things.
I create objects and then come back and delete faces to keep my polygon counts down. I have the cockpit positioned in the manor where it is faced in the right direction I will end up making a full fuselage so I can position the cockpit where it should be located before exporting it. Some guys using the 737 cockpit in the 777-9X and in doing so the cockpit ends up around the wing root. I am hoping I can get around that by doing the modeling the fuselage approach and positioning to cockpit before exporting.
I am taking my time and trying to think it all out before doing some things.

Roypcox wrote:Very beautiful , thanks for sharing . homeboy

Thanks I need all the encouragement I can get.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:34 pm

It has been a while since I posted or actually done any work on this project. It was a big hit knowing I had to start completely over in a program I did not know that well and would be learning from the start of this restart. I had gotten most of the first section completed and others things came up and it was put on hold for quite some time.
I dug it all out again and started getting myself familiarized with Blender again.
So many things have happened and I had to stop work on it. Father in law is back home again and trying to keep him healthy as well as my son has been in and out of the hospital as well.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design