CAD file to .mdl

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

CAD file to .mdl

Postby Azframer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:42 pm

I have figured out I can now draw models for FSX using my Turbo CAD program and save as 3ds, dxf and dwg. I never really knew I was this close to being able to do this. I spent hours yesterday trying to get the project Opensky interior into the Boeing 777-900X only to find out the interior is not interior but a complete model inside and out that they have been using in FSX.
Most may know that FSX is a 2 model set up, one for the plane one for the interior cockpit.
I need to get a hold of the original model maker for Posky if possible to see if I am allowed to use his/her cockpit to set up parameters for the new version of the 777-9X cockpit I found picture for. I don't waant to use what he has just the base floor heights and help me figure ou where my borders are so I will have a idea where not to exceed with parts. I think the 777-900X is made by Skyspirit. maybe contact them to see if I could do the same in case.
To make it very clear I want to draw all my own parts not use in theirs other than the form so I can fit my parts to shell of cabin. I want to be able to go with glass cockpit like the 777-9X and the 787 has.

This is what I will attempt to create.
And this, I have more info to go with.
This was a design I did for making adult beverage, in other words a still.
One I get the model completed I will need help getting it to a mdl from a 3ds or GMAX file.
Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: CAD file to .mdl

Postby Azframer » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:21 pm

Just so you know I downloaded CAD files from Boeing so I can draw a full size drawing of the cockpit ij 3D. I just need the shell of the model to make sure it all fits inside the exterior model. I am sure I may need to resize. This will be my firt attempt at this and I am not sure of the scale I will be needing to go with. But I can re scale it to the right size to fit in cockpit area given.

1/500 scale

rescaled to 1/1

cut down to sections I will need.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:04 am

Well after I draw the cockpit full size I am going to have to scale it down....A LOT. Nose to tail it is only 79.3525 in long. Wing span 71.1133 in Height 19.5611 in on my CAD program. So I will definitely have to down size it quite a bit to get it to fit.
Does anyone know where I can get distance from nose to rear wall of cockpit?
Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Flacke » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:16 am

My brain hurts...................gonna go lie down a while.

Good luck with all of this. Wish I could do it.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:29 am

Flacke wrote:My brain hurts...................gonna go lie down a while.

.... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

I'm OK with wax colouring crayons.... :? ...!

I used to be an Electrical Design Draughtsman many Moons ago.....

...now... I just change an electric light bulb when necessary.

Paul.... :D ...!

P.S. Making Adult Beverage (a Still) sounds good to me!.... :dance: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby garymbuska » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:13 am

Fozzer wrote:

Did some one mention Still ? Try EVERCLEAR that is legal moonshine 99% pure
If that does not get you going than you are already dead.
The only way I can change a light bulb is for me to hold the bulb and some one else turn the lamp :clap: :naughty:
And that is risky at best :naughty:
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:49 am

garymbuska wrote:
Fozzer wrote:

Did some one mention Still ? Try EVERCLEAR that is legal moonshine 99% pure
If that does not get you going than you are already dead.
The only way I can change a light bulb is for me to hold the bulb and some one else turn the lamp :clap: :naughty:
And that is risky at best :naughty:

Talking about; "Stills".... ;) ....

Every time I see someone purchasing a bottle of Scotch/Irish Whiskey, I think to myself....
..."That's the same sort of stuff that I put into the petrol tank on my motor bike, at the Gas Station!"..... :o ....!

Paul..."Ye canna see a Still!"..... ;) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Azframer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:30 am

Okay since it keeps being brought up now, I did not mean for this to become a distilling thread, and Fozzer, it cost us to much to continue to make fuel with our food and booze making material to put it in our gas tanks. But internally the still changed a little since I worked on the design. They are not that cheap, depending on where you buy Everclear, it can be either 75.5% 151 proof or 95% 190 proof. You can hit 94% with the still on the link easy, 95% is not unheard of but need experience running the rig.
http://stilldragon.com/index.php/4-dash.html

I'll be waiting on the cockpit stuff to come up next. Either that or I might as well hangout at Artisan Distillers.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:14 am

Sorry Rick..... :( ...!

Its been another typical miserable Winter's day here in England, and as usual, I take every opportunity to create a spot of laughter in a thread, which sometimes steers the subject in hand slightly sideways....

...but its all in good fun!... ;) ...!

P.S...I'm sure the weather in sunny Arizona is better than it is here, at the moment... ;) ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Azframer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:39 am

The winter here has been quite mild, not that much snow here this year, we did get off to a good start for January but since it petered out. 1st 15 days this year they has 33 inches I think the number was in Flagstaff. Still getting plenty cold for me at night, still needing a fire at night.
I have drowned myself trying to get this project going, trying to figure out numbers on this cockpit. The Tom310 is a great cockpit and no way am putting down the work done on it. But it is time for a 777 cockpit stand alone that is meant for FSX.
I did end up seeing if I could rip the old cockpit out of the 777-300 and I am able to do it, but that is not ethical for me to do that without permission to do so. I am going to try and go for the 777-9X version cockpit as close as I can get it. I will need some know how when it comes to making all the gauges and with placement, I have not one clue yet on how that works.
Just going to concentrate on getting the first step done and that is getting the model made and sized.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:32 pm

Ifound a workbook in PDF form for many numbers and many details. B 777 workbook Missing upper panel width, I'll figure it out. Plus large picture group of real cockpit as well 161 images.

http://www.b747-400.net/php/index.php

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Roypcox » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:22 am

What a wonderful and gifted talent you have sir, thanks for sharing it .
Roypcox
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby pegger » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:32 am

I believe the tool you need is X2mdl, which is part of the P3d SDK.
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:58 pm

I had spent so much time reading and trying to draw in CAD, going back and forth in between CAD and PDF, looking for a way to turn my CAD saved into 3ds format to a mdl. I found Blender, I think it is version 2.6 possibly. Now I have 3 steps draw in CAD save as 3ds, import 3ds into blender, may even need to manipulate a bit in there, so I need to learn how to use Blender, save as dae in which I can import to ModelConverterX and convert to a mdl. I don't know that much about ModelConverterX either.

Last night I had to take some time to fly, even though I was really tired. I squeezed in a short flight from Phoenix to Flagstaff in a new download I had gotten, a A319. I was lined up for approach and the runway lights looked like they were 3-4 feet tall. I was squinting to make them appear normal, got the bird down and called it a night around midnight. :D :lol: :?

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:15 pm

A lovely Arizona tour through some magnificent mountain scenery...>>>

Pheonix > Highway 17 > Turn off to Highway 179, stop off at Sedona > Highway 89A > to Flagstaff (and Historic Route 66).

A very popular tourist route!

http://visitsedona.com/

Paul...exploring.... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design