CAD file to .mdl

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Re: CAD file to .mdl

Postby Azframer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:42 am

Hagar wrote:Which version of Blender do you need? You should find it here --> https://www.blender.org/download/previous-versions/

I've been watching your progress with interest. Well done so far.

I have checked there and all they show are the splash screens, no downloads, maybe I should go to Krispy1001's site and check there.I had not checked there yet.
Thanks

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:52 am

Which version do you need? I've successfully downloaded several different versions from this link http://download.blender.org/release/
Click on the links & there are different files for each one suitable for various operating systems.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Azframer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:01 pm

Hagar wrote:Which version do you need? I've successfully downloaded several different versions from this link http://download.blender.org/release/
Click on the links & there are different files for each one suitable for various operating systems.

Sweet thanks, when I clicked on the splash screen I didn't see a download link, just descriptions.
it was 2.70 that Krispy1001 uses in his video. Fingers crossed this is the cure.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:18 pm

Well it did not cure the problem, I am at a loss for how I will get those tools to show. I can't say that I am ready for them yet, I am far from it right now. I have so much to do still. I will just plug away at it for now.
I finished the yoke and clipboards, yoke still need switches. I'll end up doing the switches when I get all the panels done.

I had a small setback but got things back on track now.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:11 pm

Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:44 am

I realize my error in the co-pilot yoke and fixed it, simple as when people like a plan for a house design, but the house is backwards from what they want, you select the whole plan and type minus one in the proper scale box and it flips the whole thing.... :-)
Starting to close it in now. all parts or groups of parts are on different layers and I can turn them on and off when they get in the way.

Done for the night.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:56 pm

Update as of finishing last night. Yea I know I said I was done but then did some more while info was still fresh in my head. I have to say this is tough to do with what I have for info. Translating numbers into angles curves and what not have been working on me.
But I want this cockpit, I want it to be the glass cockpit that Boeing is transforming it to be.

Rick

Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:07 pm

I finally figured it out, Blender 2.76 when you install the FSX tools, they do not show up where Krispy1001's show up in the videos. Instead it creates it's own tool tab on the left hand side, bottom tab where the tools tab is located. Now I can finish drawing and learn the program without having to worry about that any longer.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:34 am

Nightly update, going to watch Blender videos after this. BTW Thanks Krispy1001!

Rick

Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Dave T » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:12 am

I have just started using Blender 2.7b and also found the menus are on all sides and not very user friendly, found a keyboard shortcuts list and keyboard overlay still playing and its quite a steep learning curve. Have you played around with Blender?
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Azframer » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:12 pm

Yea I have messed around with it a little. Last night I I tried to bring in a picture to work off of, something a little more complex than the startup plane Krispy1001 had been using for his demonstration. I have always been a huge fan of Skip Stewart and would love to do that little plane but could not find a 3 view picture. Found a 3 view drawing of a Super Stinker. Vertical stabilizer and elevator shapes are the only big differences I could find.
Wow this has stretched out a bit.... Nut I could not get the picture to view in the program. It was late last night I will try it again when I am not so tired. I was going along step by step with video, just a different picture, made it to Control-3 and nothing.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:31 pm

I have been trying to get the 2D drawings of the seats worked out where it is acceptable to me, that has been tough, I think I might have a total of 5 measurements on document that shows the seat in a skewed angle. But saved as 3DS format in Blender.

Rick

Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:53 pm

The black object in front, in the top picture of my last post is the seat I am working on, that is the bottom. The upper part is what I am working on now BTW.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Dave T » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:10 pm

Looking good, I'm finding blender a bit difficult to use.
Dave T
Major
Major

Postby Azframer » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Dave thanks for the complement. I have not gotten to involved into Blender as of yet, I have been staying in my comfort zone in CAD. Once the CAD part is over with I will be too invested in it not to learn Blender. :mrgreen: I will have no other choice but learn it at that point.
I actually have been learning more in CAD than I thought was possible too doing this project. I had drawn in 2D most of the time owning CAD and was asked to do 3D stuff after throwing some quick easy things together in a distilling site. Since then I had elevated the game a bit getting a handle on it more and more.
I am happy with the progress, I have been spending as much time before I go to sleep to watch Krispy1001 video's I have downloaded. I still have more of his stock I want to download, very informative and I think it will help me a lot with my transition.
Right now I am working the arm rests for pilot seat, I do think I will end up placing them in the up position to keep them out of the way so center console is no way block from sight.
:clap:
Thanks
Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design