My first texture - Mooney Bravo

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

My first texture - Mooney Bravo

Postby Alex-1968 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:31 am

Hello pilots,

I wish to thank Simviation for giving me the chance to upload and share my first plane texture:

http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1 ... 68&x=0&y=0

It's nothing complicated nor innovative, it's just my first try, but I would like to read here critics, comments and suggestions by whoever wants to try it.

I want to improve my skills so I need your help. Be ruthless!! :mrgreen:

<<s ----|||HAPPY FLIGHTS|||
Alex-1968
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: My first texture - Mooney Bravo

Postby Shadowcaster » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:47 am

Very nice repaint sir :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: can't see anything wrong with that.

Cheers
Rich

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby hertzie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:54 am

Looks good! I wish I could :) . The only comment I have is that I always hope that repainters make paint look more worn, like the real plane, and not factory new. But maybe I ask too much.....

Go on with your good work,

hertzie.
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Alex-1968 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:41 am

Shadowcaster wrote:Very nice repaint sir :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: can't see anything wrong with that.

Thank you Shadow!! There are some errors which I am now correcting. In the version 2 they will not be there. :D

hertzie wrote:Looks good! I wish I could :) . The only comment I have is that I always hope that repainters make paint look more worn, like the real plane, and not factory new. But maybe I ask too much.....

Go on with your good work,

hertzie.

Thank you Hertzie!! What do you mean with worn? Some rust or abrasions? Or some dirt? I can make a repaint for you if you like.
Alex-1968
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby hertzie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi Alex,

As English is not my mother tongue, I'll do my best to explain: what I mean is weathered, some places where the paint is faded or dull or even gone, so you see the alu that has got blackish grey. Just like a car looks after being used for years and not washed every week and polished. And with stripes oil and repaired skin. So you can se that it is used.

Hope this makes more clear what I meant.

All the best,

hertzie.

PS: on the SimViation site I have once uploaded a worn out Mitsubishi Zero, an original CFS2-model that I converted for FSX. Those textures I did find in my archives, but I don't know who made them. Maybe that gives you an idea. here's the link: http://simviation.com/1/search?submit=1 ... &filename=
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Alex-1968 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:26 am

hertzie wrote:Hi Alex,

As English is not my mother tongue, I'll do my best to explain

Hi Hertzie,

English isn't my mother language either but I got your meaning perfectly. You know what is the problem with textures? When you are editing the graphic drawing of the airplane, you just work on HALF airplane, because the texture is specular and symmetrical. For example: if I put a stripe of oil on a wing, it will appear also on the other wing, identical. This would generate a unreal effect on the whole plane. On the Mooney Bravo texture there is only one part which is not specular, and it is the luggages door, but this is not enough to create that "old & used" effect you were mentioning.
Alex-1968
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:57 am

Alex-1968 wrote:
hertzie wrote:Hi Alex,

As English is not my mother tongue, I'll do my best to explain

Hi Hertzie,

English isn't my mother language either but I got your meaning perfectly.

I wouldn't have guessed. I think you both have a good command of English..

You know what is the problem with textures? When you are editing the graphic drawing of the airplane, you just work on HALF airplane, because the texture is specular and symmetrical.

That is only the case for the default aircraft. Most addons have separate textures for both sides. You might like to try repainting one when you get the hang of things.

I tried your first repaint. Not bad for a beginner. 8-) :)

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Alex-1968 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:05 am

Hagar wrote:That is only the case for the default aircraft. Most addons have separate textures for both sides. You might like to try repainting one when you get the hang of things.

Yes, I'm sure there are more modern textures to work with. I will try one of them once I get more familiar with editing & alpha channels.

Hagar wrote:I tried your first repaint. Not bad for a beginner. 8-) :)

Thank you!! :D I am already working on the version 2, which will not bring the errors I left in the version 1.
Alex-1968
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Krispy1001 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:33 am

Hi Alex!

My name is Kris aka(krispy1001) I am modeling an ultralight aircraft that was request by DarkCandle. I am almost to the point where I will start painting the exterior model. My question is would you like to help me with the painting of this model? You will get full credit for the aircraft painting in the credits when the aircraft is released. This is a Free-ware aircraft.

If you decide that you are interested in doing the painting for the aircraft. I will UV-unwrap the aircraft however you want, so that you can paint it easy.

Here is a link to the aircraft: http://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=172625&start=15

Thanks, Kris :-)
Living By Faith

Philippians 4:6

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell GOD what you need, and thank him for all he has done.(NLT)
Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Alex-1968 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:44 am

Krispy1001 wrote:Hi Alex!

My name is Kris aka(krispy1001) I am modeling an ultralight aircraft that was request by DarkCandle. I am almost to the point where I will start painting the exterior model. My question is would you like to help me with the painting of this model? You will get full credit for the aircraft painting in the credits when the aircraft is released. This is a Free-ware aircraft.

If you decide that you are interested in doing the painting for the aircraft. I will UV-unwrap the aircraft however you want, so that you can paint it easy.

Here is a link to the aircraft: http://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=172625&start=15

Hello Kris, nice to meet you :D

I am not sure I will be good enough. I have made only two repaints so far, only on one aircraft, working on images that already existed, by modifying them only. I can give it a try, of course, but I am afraid I will only make you loose your time... :oops:
Alex-1968
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Krispy1001 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:23 pm

Alex-1968 wrote:Hello Kris, nice to meet you :D

I am not sure I will be good enough. I have made only two repaints so far, only on one aircraft, working on images that already existed, by modifying them only. I can give it a try, of course, but I am afraid I will only make you loose your time... :oops:

Hi Alex!

I can apply the base textures and if you are interested you could make re-paints to make the paint job look better. I will still give you full texturing credits in the final release of the aircraft. I do not want to put any stress on you. If you would just like to try that would be great, but if you do not want to, no problem. I thank you for your time.

Living By Faith

Philippians 4:6

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell GOD what you need, and thank him for all he has done.(NLT)
Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design