Blackfin Sailfish (My "X" Plane)

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Blackfin Sailfish (My "X" Plane)

Postby Travis » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:37 pm

So I dusted off my creativity skills and I'm working on a new aircraft in 3DS Max. Currently I am working on the engine, but I'm having a minor issue.

Going by the images I've gleaned from the net, I'm using a double engine setup with 9 cylinders per engine (18 total, in case you can't do the math ;-)). From a straight view of the front, it looks as I want it to right now, fig 1. However, from pretty much any other angle you can see the huge gaps and bare walls of the engine bell interior fig 2.

My real question is what would other designers put in there to either camouflage the bareness of it, or alternatively, what you would add to the interior to make it look less stark.

Travis
Major
Major

Re: My XXXXXX Plane

Postby mustangaroo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:41 pm

Put fins on the jugs and a black background with some lines as in injector feeds. How you do that is up to you. You might find a redundant pattern that will work but then it might belong to someone else. :doh:
mustangaroo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:51 pm

Looking great!
What about a very dark grey with a sheen? Or just black like this - unless or until you come up with somethig else?

Don't give up on it! :)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Speed of flight » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:59 pm

I am no 3D modeler, but good work indeed! Always excited to see the community hard at work makin our favorite past time more interesting, and adding to it.

For the radials, as the bottom image confirms, cooling was a difficult problem to solve, and thus the stagger of the twin rows. One should not be able to see past the second row. There is definitely stuff back there, but it was obscured. Only an open cowl setup would allow visual access. Otherwise, nope. Hard to work on, also.
Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z, NB & FSB @2608 MHz
AMD 8350 @ 5.02 GHz 1.524V (200.6 x 25)
Corsair H100i
16GB GSkill Trident @ 2133 MHz C10
Asus 7870 2 GB 1200core/5500mem
Samsung 250GB SSD
RaidMax 1200W
Cooler Master HAF 932
Windows 7 x64
VRS Superbug/TacPack, Iris A-10A, PMDG 77W, 744 and MD-11
REX texture direct, FTX Global
Speed of flight
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Travis » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:00 am

I've dusted it off and gotten quite a bit more done to it, so here it is.

I'm pretty sure I'm building a 30s era racer, although it could just as easily be made into a fictional WWII fighter a la Crimson Skies. Maybe a version of each? Wouldn't be hard, model-wise.

Anyway, the gear is what has been troubling me. I can't decide if I want to make it retractable or fixed. For retractable gear, I would try to do something along the lines of the Gregor FDB-1, which was a pretty complex arrangement that retracted into the main body ahead of each wing. There's room for it, but I'm not sure about the mechanisms and such, as well as how much weight that would tend to add to an aircraft. If I set it as a fixed-gear aircraft, I was thinking along the lines of the GeeBee series, with twin booms extending from the wing struts. Anyone have an opinion?
Travis
Major
Major

Postby mustangaroo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:21 am

You might try a gull wing for the bottom and using corsair struts for prop clearance. Just a thought.
mustangaroo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:07 pm

It looks like it's going to be blazing fast!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

May I suggest adding a second push rod tube to each cylinder and the other front attachments as in Pete's picture? This not only adds realism but helps hide the background.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:32 pm

Hawkeye07 wrote:It looks like it's going to be blazing fast!! Can't wait to see the finished product!

May I suggest adding a second push rod tube to each cylinder and the other front attachments as in Pete's picture? This not only adds realism but helps hide the background.

Trav... :D ...

Like Hawk says....

Add two push-rod tubes to each cylinder in a "V" formation; inlet and exhaust. One of the more noticeable things in the engine!
...actually, you could spend as much time realistically designing the engine alone, as the rest of the Aircraft!...

...think of all those cooling fins....rocker-boxes....spark plugs...and exhaust stubs!... :o ...!

There are some very accurate designs for Flight Sim radial engines in freeware and payware aircraft.

I wonder if there are some "already-made" radial engine designs out there, for you to use in your design?

Paul...I love engines!.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Travis » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:08 pm

Aha, yes! I remember I had initially begun that, but never saved it. Thanks for the note fellas.
Travis
Major
Major

Postby Krispy1001 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:47 pm

Hi Travis!

Very nice design!!!!! I like it very much.

Kris :-)
Living By Faith

Philippians 4:6

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell GOD what you need, and thank him for all he has done.(NLT)
Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Travis » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:58 pm

So here's the gear I came up with. Retractable, but I haven't cut any bay doors yet. They fold inward with the canted shaft acting as the gear compression. What ya think?

Travis
Major
Major

Postby Travis » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:43 pm

Aaaaannnndddd . . . . double post. But there are now gear bay doors! Next is the gear bays themselves, which should prove to be a bit more challenging than I originally intended, but whatever. And of course I'm racking up the mesh errors, but they'll get taken care of when I optimize and restructure before painting. Of course, I'll have to get my copy of Paint Shop Pro to work right in Windows 10, but that's a completely different ball of wax.

Travis
Major
Major

Postby Krispy1001 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:19 am

Looks Good Travis!!!! ^-^
Living By Faith

Philippians 4:6

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell GOD what you need, and thank him for all he has done.(NLT)
Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Travis » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:06 pm

For those that use 3DS Max: is there a function to select polys on one object that are all on one side of another object? For instance, on the wing pylons in the images above, is it possible to select the polygons outside of the fuselage but NOT the ones that go into the fuselage itself?
Travis
Major
Major

Postby Travis » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:10 pm

Is there not an edit post button anymore?

So I figured out what I was trying to do, with the help of this tutorial (Modeling an Airplane) from the Autodesk Knowledge Desk. Keep in mind, the tutorial was written specifically for Max 2015. Most other versions will differ slightly from what you read there.
Travis
Major
Major

Next

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design