Undesired Nose--Down pitch in flight.

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Undesired Nose--Down pitch in flight.

Postby stephan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:57 am

Hey gang. Yep...me again.
A couple days ago,I downloaded the POSKY Eastern Airway ERJ-135ER for my FS9.
Gave the AC BMP's a look and decided I wanted to do a repaint,from blue n white to black n white and add a logo of Blackbeard on the tail,and illuminate it.
Looks great.
Since I dont fly on line,I keep my modifications to myself to keep from offending the designers.
HOWEVER...
I also downloaded the ERJ-145 as well,and noticed a trait that is with all POSKY ERJ Embraiers...
At cruising altitude and speed,they fly with a slight nose-down attitude.
Whether this is real world or not doesnt matter.
In my mind,an aircraft should fly with the fuselage level.
Not criticizing the designers mind you.Just simply a quirk of my own.
I have tried several cfg attempts to fix this and to no avail.
Does anyone have an answer for me?...
What change to what do I need to make to make the ac fly level?
Thanks.
-Stephan (Altitude With Attitude).
stephan

Re: Undesired Nose--Down pitch in flight.

Postby Fozzer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:39 pm

Move all the passengers to the rear of the aircraft.

Paul...always available for assistance.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby stephan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Thanks Paul! That worked for a little while until the First Class passengers complained about having to sit with the common folk.Now,I have a mutiny aboard,and no place to install a plank to walk them off of. ;)
stephan

Postby Fozzer » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:15 pm

stephan wrote:Thanks Paul! That worked for a little while until the First Class passengers complained about having to sit with the common folk.Now,I have a mutiny aboard,and no place to install a plank to walk them off of. ;)

.... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

Cheers, Steph...

Bugger...and there was me thinking that I had found a cure!... :roll: ...!

Paul... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby AndrewO » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi Stephan
It's a common problem with many freeware aircraft. The fix I use is to edit the aircraft.cfg [Flight_Tuning] section. If the aircraft is nose down at normal loading with 50% fuel, cruise speed and altitude REDUCE the value of the "cruise_lift_scalar" incrementally until you are happy with the attitude of the aircraft. HOWEVER - this action can be a can of worms! You may then see excessive nose pitch up when in landing configuration and speed with about 30% fuel. That means you will have to go to the Flaps section of the aircraft.cfg and increase the lift_scalar there. With flaps, be aware that "Type 1" are the trailing edge flaps and "Type 2" are the leading edge slats. Type 1 are the ones to adjust.
It's very much a "suck it and see" process until you are happy with the attitude of the aircraft in all stages of flight. Always set the cruise_lift first, then the flaps lift_scalar.
CAUTION - always save a copy of your aircraft.cfg before you edit it.
I have, in the past, spent some hours fine tuning these parameters! It is very difficult to get the attitude "right" for all phases of flight.

Cheers
Andrew
AndrewO
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby stephan » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:08 pm

Thanks Andrew. I'll give it a try.
I thought that I would try Paul's suggestion (with his humor,which is always welcome..) and adjust the load section in the FS9 menu and move all weight to the rear.
It seemed to work at first.Changed it in flight from KSEA to KORD and all went well.Looked good and level.
THEN...after refueling and taking off from KORD with the same modified weight configuration as at KSEA,I couldnt get her level.Right back at the nose down attitude.
Very frustrating to think I had a solution,and find it wasnt.
And thanks Paul,for the passenger suggestion.Tho it was what I took as another of your humorous comments,it DID make me think as I had completely forgotten about the AIRCRAFT section in the toolbar (shows when ALT key is pressed),where the fuel and weight load section is.It just might work on other ac.I'll soon try and find out.
But for now,I'll give Andrew's suggestion a shot.Appreciate you folks commenting to this minor yet frustrating problem.The humor to lighten the mood,and a sound possible solution to my problem.
-Stephan (Altitude With Attitude!)
stephan

Postby stephan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:21 pm

Well,I worked with the suggestions offered and got no good results. The closest I came to level flight caused a major problem when landing. When level flight was achieved,landing was a circus. The nose wouldnt drop,and when the ac came to a stop on the runway,it was leaning back on the tail and main gear,with the nose and front gear in the air. I couldnt get any happy medium.May decide to kick POSKY to the curb and go back to my good ol' stand by,the CamSim Phenom 300. Liked that one enough that I have done around 20 repaints.AND...seems like no matter how I change the cfg or air file,I always get the results I am looking for.Never cared for POSKY anyway till this ERJ135 came out.Now, I see nothing has changed. They still need to pay more attention to their cfg and air files.Still open to any other suggestions,but not holding on to hopes for POSKY any more. Thanks guys.
//
EDIT...Just went looking for POSKY site to see if they had a solution or update for this annoying problem. Guess I've been under a rock for a while.They're no longer around,tho their AC can still be downloaded.
stephan

Postby Anthindelahunt » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:55 pm

stephan. You are right about the humour. Fozzer
brightens up my morning with a laugh.

Regards.

Anthin.

p.s.My Beard is not as long as yours. Old age I guess. :clap:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby stephan » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Hahahaha...That's an old pic. My beard is at my belt line now. ZZ Top has nothing on me. Hehehehe!!!!!!!!!
stephan

Postby Fozzer » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:47 am

stephan wrote:Hahahaha...That's an old pic. My beard is at my belt line now. ZZ Top has nothing on me. Hehehehe!!!!!!!!!

...would go quite well together with one of these...>>>

http://www.harley-davidson.com/content/ ... assic.html
(You wish, Steph?).... :dance: ...!

Both a little bit scary!... :shock: ...!

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby stephan » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:27 pm

Had my share of Harleys, and prefer the old ones (Knuckleheads,Panheads or Shovelheads.Even a Flathead 80). My problem was riding choppers with ridged frames and hardtails.They took a serious toll on me.Last one i had was a hard tail and while putting around,I hit a chuck hole and whiplashed my neck.Crushed a disk in my neck.The pain was blinding and I still have pain,24-7. My days of riding a bike with no shocks are over.But the oldies (like the ones I mentioned) are far easier to work on than those new Glides.Electronic everything.To work on them,one needs a shop with all kinds of expensive equipment. I'm an old scooter tramp with 5 clubs under my belt.I am of the belief that if I cant fix my own putt,I dont need it.And they can keep those new,over rated ( though still classy) hard to work on HD's. (y) As far as being scary,...maybe. (hahaha). Though a small dude (5'6" at 114 pounds) I am fairly well known in the greater Ohio valley area ( Ohio,Kentucky,Tennessee ).
stephan

Postby Fozzer » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:38 pm

One of your favourite steeds, Steph...

1947 Knucklehead!...Hand-change...Hard Tail!.....>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEskzJYmxgg

...as well as the old Side Valve Flatheads!...simple maintenance!

I love watching these old Harley Videos on You-tube, on my 7 inch Android Tablet, before I drop off to sleep at nights!

They go on forever!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby stephan » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:06 pm

Daggone it,Paul...Almost slobbered all over my laptop when I saw that Knucklehead, hahaha. MAN,that is a beauty! Yep... like ya said. Love those oldies. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing that video. Harley Davidson...The HEARTBEAT of America. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stephan

Postby Fozzer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:04 am

stephan wrote:Daggone it,Paul...Almost slobbered all over my laptop when I saw that Knucklehead, hahaha. MAN,that is a beauty! Yep... like ya said. Love those oldies. THANKS SO MUCH for sharing that video. Harley Davidson...The HEARTBEAT of America. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..... :D ....!

...by the way....watching him trying to kick-start that Knucklehead reminded me of the blood, sweat, and tears I used to spend trying to kick-start my 1948, 998cc, Vincent HRD, Rapide, Vee-Twin into life...weak/worn-out Magnetos!

As well as dribbling all over the wide selection of Harleys on display, I always love to watch the wonderful western USA, vast, wide-open scenery passing by on You Tube....
Idaho, Nevada, Utah, California, Arizona and New Mexico!
How I wish we had motorcycling scenery like that over here!.... :roll: ...!

Steph....
..if you've got some spare time, have a peek through Shawn Smoak's videos, (1 to 10), of a group of lads and their wonderful Harley bike trip together from Oregon to Utah via Idaho, and back again through some absolutely breath-taking scenery...>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NnBtUQ1Tto

How I wish I was amongst them, enjoying the ride!

Paul....looking forward to some 2015 Summer rides again..... :mrgreen: ....!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby stephan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:38 pm

A VINCENT? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG Paul !!!!!!!!!!!! That bike,especially the Black Shadow is a legend here! Most of us would kill for one !!!!!!!! AND the Ariel Square 4 ! You lucky person! To be able to say you had one. I'd give my left....... leg for one! ;) // // https://www.google.com/search?q=ariel+s ... CAYQ_AUoAQ
stephan

Next

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design