Rendered time consuming!

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Re: Rendered time consuming!

Postby Fozzer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:57 pm

You youngsters with your newfangled 64-bit computers, have no idea how difficult and exciting it was for us 8-bit'ers to cram sufficient programming data into 4k of memory, whilst our Mums were boiling codfish heads in the kitchen for our tea, and Dad was unbuckling his belt to give us a good thrashing before bed-time whilst listening to the latest nuclear threat on the BBC Radio...

Happy memories!... ;) ...!

Paul.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby logjam » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Radio you say? We were lucky to have 2 rags to wave :liar: for semaphore signals.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:44 pm

logjam wrote:Radio you say? We were lucky to have 2 rags to wave :liar: for semaphore signals.

Rags you say?

Luxury!

Mum used to make our clothes from old curtains from the bombed-out house down the road...

Paul.... ;) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jean Loup » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:58 pm

In the 70's I was part of Grupo Cine Labor (16 mm documentary short films) as technician, to keep equipment & three VW Combis on the roll: a model '59 T1 Van, a model 74 T2 Van with venetian windows added, and a Model '73 T2 Combi (mine) with 9 seats. I also did animations with a modifyed Bolex (the VW of 16 mm cameras!!) to shoot frame by frame. I mounted the Bolex on a vertical tube to move it up or down, made drawings on the studio floor below that tube and for centering images, I used a jewelers eye piece looking inside the open Bolex on a 90º angle prism, to focus through the lens (Bolex were non reflex), marc all my moves & distances before I started shooting (sometimes from tail to head for certain effects, like destrying the map piece by piece until it was gone: gives the impression a map was being drawn until completed. Lots of Letraset colors & tapes for that!). Also did the credits with Letraset & animation cells & high contrast B&W film (very very boring!). We shooted every image twice, at 24 frames a second that meant 12 images per second (half the work & time!!). No BMP's, no Alphas, no DXT3's much less those DDS's!! And HTML or CSS were unheard of!! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: Then deliver to development lab. Sometimes they said when picking up the work: "¿Guess what? The film was in the soup when electricity failed" & I had to start all over again :doh: :doh: :doh:
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design